Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Brake pad replacement

DAVEWILL5

Just thought i would post an update to the question i posed in the "traffic sign recognition" thread below, re front brake pad replacement.

I did a bit of shopping around and discovered that Halfords Auto centres do  "Brakes4Life" 

They quoted me £188 (incl vat) for the front brake pads replacement, and then all further replacements of these pads in the future are free!

As these pads have done 29,000 miles and i plan to keep the car for another 4 years, i calculate i will need another 2 sets over the years, both pf which will be free of charge.

The fitting was done promptly and all in all very happy with the service and this deal (Halfords web script below)

Our Brakes4Life offer is designed to encourage you to keep your brakes in good condition. Simply buy brake pads and shoes at Halfords Autocentres and you'll never have to pay to replace them again.

With Brakes4Life, you only pay for your first set of brake pads or brake shoes. We will supply and fit all future brake pads or shoes when you need them, free of charge.

This unique offer is transferable to all future cars you own - saving the average driver £1,600 over their driving lifetime!

I'm sure Kwik Fit did something similar years ago with brakes. I had the front discs and pads replaced and the rear shoes on one of my Mondeos and was told that if it needed new pads and shoes (not discs) whilst I owned the vehicle, they would be replaced FOC (subject to terms and conditions ie badly damaged parts due to bad maintenance). 
Kwik Fit would only replace the items on that car though so it didn't carry over onto any new vehicles. 

Also, I suspect that there will always be something they find to charge you for like a brake line or tyre. 

1 hour ago, DAVEWILL5 said:

This unique offer is transferable to all future cars you own - saving the average driver £1,600 over their driving lifetime!

Wait...what?  I thought it was the lifetime of the car...not the driver!? 😮

I paid about £12 for a 'lifetime' watch battery 5 years ago, I'm sure the batteries only cost pennies as they don't last long at all but when they're free it doesn't matter.  They know people won't keep a watch for ever though and that one isn't transferable so I can see profit there. But not with this!! :unsure: 

I’ve just read the terms & conditions on this offer. Whilst it’s possible to have your brake pads or shoes replaced FOC, it’s also possible that you get shafted for all sorts of other brake repairs you may ‘need’.  When an offer seems too good to be true, it usually is just that.

https://www.halfordsautocentres.com/advice/terms-and-conditions/brakes4life-terms-and-conditions

• Like 3

Whilst i agree Ian, Halfords may be able to "screw you" regarding something unforseen, their actual exclusions in the Ts and Cs below are pretty simple and reasonable i believe

I suppose the proof is in the pudding when i go back in 29,000 miles time...

Exclusions

• The lifetime replacement does not cover:
    • wear indicator sensors or wires; or
    • pads or shoes for ceramic brakes.
  • The lifetime replacement is not available for vehicles owned or leased by a company or driving school, or contract hire or rental vehicles (including taxis) and vehicles used for commercial purposes, track days or competitive sports.
  • The free replacement pads only apply to the front or rear set that were originally changed. If both sets were changed it applies to both sets.
  • The lifetime replacement is covered by a fair-use policy and may be withdrawn if there is regular, excessive wear, or you regularly bring in many different vehicles.
  • If there is a dispute, the decision of the directors of Halfords Autocentres is final.

I’m not saying it isn’t worth a punt, but it will be interesting to see how you get on next time. There are always loopholes that will catch folk out, but I assume if you get one set done then every three to four years you get a new car, then the likelihood of anything other than the pads needing replaced, would be slim. Solicitors write the terms and conditions and they are designed so that Halfords pay out as few times as possible. 

Moved to the Midlands 4 years ago and not knowing any local service shops, wife and I ended up using Halfords for her 2011 Fiesta and my old 2008 VW Passat for servicing. Over the several services we've had there, haven't had any other items pop up on services or failed an MOT from them. Phoned several other places and Halfords were always cheaper.

May have been lucky with maintenance items not being needed but can't fault them. Just my experience of them. Wifes car due a lot of 'timed' items next year though on the service 😕

23 hours ago, Nick Y said:

I'm sure Kwik Fit did something similar years ago with brakes. I had the front discs and pads replaced and the rear shoes on one of my Mondeos and was told that if it needed new pads and shoes (not discs) whilst I owned the vehicle, they would be replaced FOC (subject to terms and conditions ie badly damaged parts due to bad maintenance). 
Kwik Fit would only replace the items on that car though so it didn't carry over onto any new vehicles. 

Also, I suspect that there will always be something they find to charge you for like a brake line or tyre. 

Mrs N's KA has had the front pads replaced twice (she brakes a lot!) at KF.  The second time the pads were on the bill until she mentioned the pads for life thing when paying.  A quick check on the computer and the charge was promptly removed.  You can make up your own mind as to why it was on in the first place!

"

• The lifetime replacement is covered by a fair-use policy and may be withdrawn if there is regular, excessive wear, or you regularly bring in many different vehicles."

I'd want to see specifics as to what counts as excessive, or too many different vehicles.

It seems you are entering into a contractual agreement with Halfords - their dispute resolution clause troubles me - does it prevent any recourse to the law?

If there is a dispute, the decision of the directors of Halfords Autocentres is final.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

It seems to me this topic has gone a bit the way of Halfords service, and away from brakes.

I recently replaced my front brake pads myself as they were getting a bit too low for my liking.

They were Borg And Beck pads, purchased from eBay for £24.18 with free delivery, machined to match the Motorcraft part number for my Edge.

After searching my tools for a 21mm socket to fit wheel nuts, it took my son and myself just under 2 hours to do both front wheels, from start to finish.

Just over 1 hour to do the first wheel (working out what to remove), the second wheel was a lot quicker.

Took my car to local garage, just to get new brakes checked on brake test machine, all fine, gauge showing good brake strength both sides.

My old pads had roughly 2 - 2.5 mm pad material left (probably extra wear due to my commuting between Wales and Essex (as mentioned elsewhere on forum).

Whilst calipers off, I checked front discs for wear etc, both were fine. And gave the surrounding area a clean down, whilst accessible.

Happy motoring

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marks Adventure

My son and myself found that no special tools were needed, (though Fmc would probably say a special tool is needed to push pistons back), nothing an 8" extension could not do.

Just loosened off wheel nuts (21mm socket), then jacked up car one side at a time, wheel off and axle stand under car before starting work.

Using standard 1/2" socket set. Caliper mounting nuts were quite tight (I think 15mm, but could be wrong) (being a new car).

Also removed brake hose from clip on suspension leg to give more work space with removing, reseating calipers.

I just made sure there was enough space in the brake fluid resevoir to allow for the caliper pistons to be pushed back (2 pistons, side by side in each caliper)

And I used the old pad when pushing pistons back to give equal push to both pistons at same time.

Once all back together, both wheels on ground, final tighten of wheel nuts. Then slow drive down road to test operation of brakes.

First application brakes felt spongy, IMO this is normal, as brake fliud needs to travel back and pads seat themselves correctly.

Since first brake operation (as above) brakes have been fine, I have had no problems with them.

Happy motoring

Dave

Hi All

Simonb65 That is basically the way I worked out how to do it.

But I just used hand pressure, finalising with 8" extension, to push pistons back.

Happy motoring

Dave

• 2 months later...

I changed my front pads at 51000 miles.

Still on the original rears at 72000.

Bought pads from Euro Car Parts. Took 3 hours all in.

Found some useful info here:

Edge repair articles

They are US based articles, so not all apply.