Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine 'lumpy' Lacking Power

Bulletguy

Not had this car long so still sorting 'niggles'.

First experienced a 'rattling' noise on the o/s area of the engine bay. Drove it to a local Ford trained mechanic who thinks it's 'possibly' the crankshaft damper. Last week the noise disappeared altogether and the engine seemed to pull quite normally. I've also replaced the plugs which were pretty horrendous to say the least...worst i've ever seen...i've chucked far better in the bin. Electrodes were almost non-existent!

Now the 'rattling' has come back again, but also the engine is noticeably sluggish and missing like crazy. However, this weekend I also gave the engine bay a damn good clean out with my pressure washer and am wondering if I have got water in somewhere where it shouldn't be!!? Been driven up to normal running temp and I would have thought the heat should by now have evaporated any possible damp.

Appreciate any views/suggestions on both matters.

Car is an 02 model 1.8 petrol with 123k on the clock.

Not had this car long so still sorting 'niggles'.

First experienced a 'rattling' noise on the o/s area of the engine bay. Drove it to a local Ford trained mechanic who thinks it's 'possibly' the crankshaft damper. Last week the noise disappeared altogether and the engine seemed to pull quite normally. I've also replaced the plugs which were pretty horrendous to say the least...worst i've ever seen...i've chucked far better in the bin. Electrodes were almost non-existent!

Now the 'rattling' has come back again, but also the engine is noticeably sluggish and missing like crazy. However, this weekend I also gave the engine bay a damn good clean out with my pressure washer and am wondering if I have got water in somewhere where it shouldn't be!!? Been driven up to normal running temp and I would have thought the heat should by now have evaporated any possible damp.

Appreciate any views/suggestions on both matters.

Car is an 02 model 1.8 petrol with 123k on the clock.

never pressure wash an engine ide look at water in the spark plug holes and in the coil pack for the missing

never pressure wash an engine ide look at water in the spark plug holes and in the coil pack for the missing

True.....i'm more used to the basics of diesel Transits and BMC 'A' series engines. Crude and basic but damned efficient! Lost count of the number of Mini engines i've powerwashed off from cold with no problems at all.

Seems 'modern' engines don't like a bit of water. :rolleyes:

True.....i'm more used to the basics of diesel Transits and BMC 'A' series engines. Crude and basic but damned efficient! Lost count of the number of Mini engines i've powerwashed off from cold with no problems at all.

Seems 'modern' engines don't like a bit of water. rolleyes.gif

the fouswhaen a lot of water gets in the bay can leak it into the plug wells and it can get in to the coil pack these 2 points are usually the cause of the issue check the air filter isnt wet its unlike;ly but a possibility make sure the pressure washer hasnt loosened any connections

the fouswhaen a lot of water gets in the bay can leak it into the plug wells and it can get in to the coil pack these 2 points are usually the cause of the issue check the air filter isnt wet its unlike;ly but a possibility make sure the pressure washer hasnt loosened any connections

Appreciate your reply 'artscot'. Just replaced plugs so know how deep set those b***ers are! Will have a closer look at coil pack over weekend as next week it's going off to a Ford mechanic for a 'plug in' on his Dyno tune thing which no doubt will find a list of other faults! :rolleyes:

Meantime i'm using my good old Trusty Tranny van! 17 years old but the engine kicks into life first time every time, and throbs away as long as there's juice in the tank!

On the 'up side' i've managed to source a brand new crankshaft damper, genuine Ford part....£25!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club