Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 3 1.5 tdci oil catch can

Mitchconnop

Hi guys. I have a standard 1.5tdci estate 120bhp 65 plate and have been thinking about fitting an oil catch can. Have seen threads describing how to fit this to other focus. Does anyone have any experience with this? I understand the principal behind it. If anyone has fitted one of these could you show photos? Thanks very much for reading.

I know the answer is in the name of the part but where does it go and why? Is it there to catch any leaking\spilt oil on the off chance it happens?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I know the answer is in the name of the part but where does it go and why? Is it there to catch any leaking\spilt oil on the off chance it happens?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This might explain things, it's another maintenance point and when you first install you need to monitor it closely to ensure that it doesn't overfill. Also there is a huge variance in catch cans with regards to ease of use, build quality and cost. They're more common in America and Australia than Europe. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I had seen various guides for the ST but was wondering specifically about the 1.5 tdci 120 Bhp if anyone has installed one on these? 

To answer the earlier question during combustion oil vapour that would in older cars be emitted via exhaust are recirculated back into the engine intake for further combustion all in order to reduce emissions.  This can crud up over considerable time causing problems.  One way to get round this is to stop the oil vapour being recurculated, changing the setup so everything goes to the exhaust like the old days.  

In the states catch cans are popular. Essentially it is a separator that takes oil out the air before being recirculated back into the intake. Over time it fills up and you unscrew it empty and screw it back on. 

Anyone done this on 1.5 tdci?

• Like 1

I have been thinking about doing this too on my 1.5tdci, have you found anyone that's done it on our engine?

Allan

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club