Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering wheel upgrade no mfd HELP

Tylorim18

I've installed the mk3.5 steering wheel in my mk3 focus and was expecting the arrow and "ok" buttons to control the mfd but it all controls the radio and now I cant access vehicle settings etc does anyone have a guide on how to control the mfd instead of the stereo? I've literally just forked out 180 on the steering wheel and airbag seems a shame to not work properly.

https://imgshare.io/image/XDNJH

This is the new setup.

Apart from the MK3.5 steering wheel you also need to install a MK3.5 Steering Wheel Control Module (wich is integrated into the clockspring assembly). Next to this the settings of the Central Car Configuration needs to be changed to the correct settings for the new MK3.5 steering wheel.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Apart from the MK3.5 steering wheel you also need to install a MK3.5 Steering Wheel Control Module (wich is integrated into the clockspring assembly). Next to this the settings of the Central Car Configuration needs to be changed to the correct settings for the new MK3.5 steering wheel.

Any chance you could send the part number over and I'm guessing the latter is done with focccus? 

If it is done with focccus can you tell me what I would have to change my car is as follows:

2011 Ford Focus ZETEC 

1.6 TDCi 115bhp

Standard stereo with dab bt and voice control

Level 2 instrument cluster

I see that your car does not have Cruise Control. In this case you might be very lucky. Your MK3 Steering Wheel Control Module might support the MK3.5 steering wheel buttons.

Just change Central Car Configuration setting number 187 (Audio Buttons On Steering Wheel) and see if this solves the problem. I suspect that this setting needs to be set to hexadecimal value 03. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

I see that your car does not have Cruise Control. In this case you might be very lucky. Your MK3 Steering Wheel Control Module might support the MK3.5 steering wheel buttons.

Just change Central Car Configuration setting number 187 (Audio Buttons On Steering Wheel) and see if this solves the problem. I suspect that this setting needs to be set to hexadecimal value 03. 

Is this done in ForScan or Focccus? I've ordered the modified ELM unit to do it and have plenty of experience with VCDS, TECH2 and NCSExpert but I've never played with the ford software.

Also all the buttons work that's not the issue, the issue is that the arrow and "ok" buttons control the radio and not the Multifunction Display on the instrument cluster.

This thread just reminded me why the last time I changed a steering wheel was on my 1995 Celica GT4 to a nice MOMO leather one. Modern cars are just far too much hassle LOL

I have nothing of value to add, but I'm gonna poke @Luke_Anderson here.  I believe he has put the facelift steering wheel on his and might be able to help you out?

Being a 2011 I guess you had the early steering wheel with the separate audio controls, sadly I had the later steering wheel so mine worked fine first time only had to change the clock spring for the cruise to work. I’d change the spring for a facelift one as well and then if that doesn’t work look at the settings in forscan 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Being a 2011 I guess you had the early steering wheel with the separate audio controls, sadly I had the later steering wheel so mine worked fine first time only had to change the clock spring for the cruise to work. I’d change the spring for a facelift one as well and then if that doesn’t work look at the settings in forscan 

Cheers mate I was trying to look for wiring diagrams to rewire the buttons to the mfd signal wires myself but couldn't find anything.

To be honest they don’t really work like that anymore, I’m fairly confident changing the clockspring will sort all that out for you 

The steering wheel switches are basically resisitance switches where every button has a different resistance. When no buttons are pressed the switches have a reference resistance. Depending on the type of switches and the combination of switches the resistance will be different.

Depending on the resistance value the The Steering Wheel Control Module is able to detect the presence of the steering wheel switches and which particular button of the switches is pressed. Based on this information the Steering Wheel Control Module generates a CANbus message that is communicated to the ACM, IPC, PCM, etc.

• Like 1

All done guys, installed the new instrument cluster at the same time, opened up Focccus and programmed in some new features changed option 187 to audio buttons on steering wheel and now everything works perfect. 🤗

Next up is the Mk3.5 Sync 2 with touchscreen unit retrofit and some ST seats before I start on the exterior.

Thanks for everyones help.

Heres how it looks now:

https://imgshare.io/image/sb1cf

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone! So Ive got an ugly Mk3 wheel (with cruise) and would like to throw on a lovely Mk3.5 one. I hear that I need the steering wheel module? What does this look like? Cheers!

Also, does Focccus work with any old ELM bluetooth adaptor?

• 11 months later...
On 9/19/2019 at 5:20 PM, Tylorim18 said:

All done guys, installed the new instrument cluster at the same time, opened up Focccus and programmed in some new features changed option 187 to audio buttons on steering wheel and now everything works perfect. 🤗

Next up is the Mk3.5 Sync 2 with touchscreen unit retrofit and some ST seats before I start on the exterior.

Heres how it looks now:

Hey, I'm in the process of doing the same upgrade and have the same issue as you had. When you say you changed 187 to audio buttons on steering wheel what exactly do you mean? Only asking because the audio buttons on steering wheel are 187 so assuming I need to change the last numbers of that block? Mine is apparently set to 03 looking at the as-built information from etis. Which I would also assume is the correct settings. What did change in that setting please. I'm using ForScan also.

Thank you in advance, appreciate any help.

Yiannis Petrou

Edited by Petrou99

• 3 years later...
On 9/19/2019 at 5:20 PM, Tylorim18 said:

Heres how it looks now:

Hi mate, I’m having the same problem, do you have to change the instrument cluster or just the settings will work fine ?? Please let me know!!

13 minutes ago, Mash11 said:

Please let me know!!

Expect a long wait ......

Untitled.png

27 minutes ago, unofix said:

Expect a long wait ......

Untitled.png

I just sorted it out!! Over the moon!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club