Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leak in to boot, why the puddle of water?

StephenFord

On 'spring cleaning' my boot and checking the spare, I saw a puddle of water sitting in the wheel well. After drying everything up, I noticed 2 x bungs (?) which instinctively I thought should have had some sort of drain hole to allow water to escape rather than just gather. Am I wrong?

1286649140_BootwheelwellLoRes.thumb.jpg.323ee66a2099921130bfcbcdd6239e1f.jpg

No, it shouldn't leak water in the first instance to require holes to let it out. You need to find the source of the leak.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iantt said:

You need to find the source of the leak.

LOL, I know that, but my GT4 has drain holes, as did my old C class Merc. What are the 2 x bungs for then?

• Like 1

Drain holes in the boot!?  That's pessimistic! :laugh:

They're just manufacturing holes filled in with grommets, you can pp the grommets out to let the water out but they're not designed to constantly drain.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

LOL, I know that, but my GT4 has drain holes, as did my old C class Merc. What are the 2 x bungs for then?

Could be two prongs which support a stack of boot trays on the production line, stop them falling around aswell as allowing excess paint  to drain when dipped 

The rubber bungs then fill these holes, 

I assume your boot spoiler seals around the bolts have deteriorated as there only made of foam, 

I recommend getting a blanket and placing it on the roof outside of the car; 

Open the boot then unbolt the spoiler following this guide: 

The spoiler then rests on the blanket not scratching the roof of the car,

Clean the area and ensure its dry; Use a tube of bathroom silicone to form a ring around each bolt hole on the outter boot panel surface between the boot and the spoiler itself much like cucumber slices in a sandwich 

This will prevent the leak 

Then refit the spoiler to the boot, 

They end....

Vehicle will smell like a chip shop for around three days due to the acetic acid in the silicone but will be fine forever more there after.

• Like 2

Shows how crap your other cars were then having drain holes.lol. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, iantt said:

Shows how crap your other cars were then having drain holes.lol. 

Hard to argue with that LOL The spoiler removal sounds like a plan. Will get that done at next service, sounds like a job for a proper man!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Hard to argue with that LOL The spoiler removal sounds like a plan. Will get that done at next service, sounds like a job for a proper man!

Do it yourself not difficult atall just count the number of full clock face rotations to removing each bolt; 

This way it wont be too tight when refitting or pull through the spoiler 🤯

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I'm sorry, I'm not available at the moment.😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 3

Just now, iantt said:

I'm sorry, I'm not available at the moment.😂😂😂😂😂

Eating snickers bars and building a shed 😂

• Like 1

I'd try the lights before tackling the spoiler, I had water getting in on my old Mk2.5 Focus from the lights,
It's really easy removing the rear lamps, just a screwdriver I think, 
They get loads of dirt underneath creating space for water to get in, just give everything a good clean underneath and tighten back up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RAIDER32 said:

I'd try the lights before tackling the spoiler, I had water getting in on my old Mk2.5 Focus from the lights,
It's really easy removing the rear lamps, just a screwdriver I think, 
They get loads of dirt underneath creating space for water to get in, just give everything a good clean underneath and tighten back up.

Heres a guide for removing the lights too; 

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/43587-guide-fitting-ford-rs-led-rear-light-units-focus-mk25/

The one tube of silicone sealant should do the lot on the same dry day 😂

• Like 1

@StephenFord

Also the windscreen washer jets; there seals deteriorate and allow water to drip inside the bonnet from the outside in;

This issue really affects the 1.6 petrol focus because the ignition plugs are positioned directly below the jets which if not sealed allows the plug tunnels to fill with water and rust, 

So a bit of silicone around the jets under the bonnet works well too. 

Really only affects the 1.6 petrol the most though. Some owners fit a Volvo engine cover straight fit to the 1.6 petrol focus 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lenny said:

@StephenFord

Also the windscreen washer jets; there seals deteriorate and allow water to drip inside the bonnet from the outside in;

Really? Now that sounds like a job I could actually do myself LOL, but how on earth does the water find itself all the way into the boot?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Really? Now that sounds like a job I could actually do myself LOL, but how on earth does the water find itself all the way into the boot?

Through the bolt holes in the boot spoiler because the original washers were just polystyrene seals much like stationary folder ring stickers, 

IMG_20150103_124958_zpsmnb5kamm.jpg.72a2d1d0e02ff4939cb5db18c3b1ed5a.jpg

IMG_20150103_125038_zpszzuznaz4.jpg.fccdfbe3b524b06d1ca0f4bafd7162ca.jpg

It then drips down the inside panel along the side of the boot and ultimately in to the well, 

These are all common issues 2005-2011 

You need to remove spoiler to seal between it and the boot for best results,

I done mine as preventative maintenance,

Look up about bonnet leaking and water ingress on ignition plugs on the 1.6 petrol focus if your doubting me lol I didn't realise you had that engine though I was just saying the jet seals are another common issue 

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

On 'spring cleaning' my boot and checking the spare, I saw a puddle of water sitting in the wheel well. After drying everything up, I noticed 2 x bungs (?) which instinctively I thought should have had some sort of drain hole to allow water to escape rather than just gather. Am I wrong?

1286649140_BootwheelwellLoRes.thumb.jpg.323ee66a2099921130bfcbcdd6239e1f.jpg

We had a similar pool of water in boot. Turned out a join in the rear washer feed pipe in where it meet the tailgate had come loose, so every it was used some water ran down the back of the roof trim and ended up in the boot.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, avi said:

We had a similar pool of water in boot. Turned out a join in the rear washer feed pipe in where it meet the tailgate had come loose, so every it was used some water ran down the back of the roof trim and ended up in the boot.

Pretty sure I can rule that out - haven't used the rear screen wash in living memory LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I have just cleaned the rear lights, my goodness there was some crud in them! I feel quite hopeful now that all cleaned up and hopefully getting a proper seal, it may have done the trick! Some 'before' and 'after' shots...

1548341018_RHSrearlight.thumb.jpg.79e232aef4f1b0ccc7a287c1603e2e5d.jpg

845927843_LHSrearlight.thumb.jpg.027bb6979f01990caa27a98a89e88233.jpg

• Like 2

Well, after 24 hours of a brilliant Northern Ireland summer (read constant rain 😀!), my leak is not fixed. It is definitely sourced on the RHS of the rear, and I just cannot see it being the spoiler as the tailgate is bone dry. However, as can be seen from the attached photos, the trim of the rear wing is wet. When I removed the rear light, the grommets for the 2 x locating pins looked in great condition with no obvious tears or gaps. Has anyone any more suggestions of possible source of leak?

(Ignore any raindrops in photos, as they are, actual raindrops!)

404355447_trimcaptionLoRes.thumb.jpg.2ba6d336228e9c2b49c5f4896456c291.jpg

1116083946_courtesylightLoResd.thumb.jpg.585e134ae991fe711c8adefd0138b2ef.jpg

If it was me I'd have to check the light again, they are right above the leak,
Maybe dry off around the light before taking it off, then if it's wet underneath then it must be that,
Maybe use a clear silicone sealant.

• Like 2

Best bet would be to take the trim off and try to follow the source of the drip. Are you sure the rubber trim just above is not deteriorated?

You can maybe consider this later lol

hot-tub-car-1-576x385_0.jpg

• Haha 2

Was just having a look at my photos I took with the lights removed, and have a query - what is the question marked grommet for? I never paid any attention to it before... The photo is of the LHS and looks in good condition, but can't remember what the RHS one looks like.

2064596526_whatisthisLoRes.thumb.jpg.126528eed6bfe3228c1bffe9602201fd.jpg

• Like 1

I would say to cushion the light so it doesn't rattle/rub on the paintwork. Or they were originally going to separately wire the lights sections.

I had exactly the same issue, and on the right side as well!  What I did was to clean off all the gunk and put a good dollop of grease around the screw holes as that is where I think the water was getting in, especially as it only happened on the right side which is the side I have had to replace a bulb in the past by opening up the lens.  I haven't had an issue since, although to be fair it hasn't rained a whole lot through the summer.  I will wait till be get a good downpour to see if it has permanently sorted out the problem.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, south_bound said:

I had exactly the same issue, and on the right side as well! 

Mine was right side too, maybe a design flaw?
I can't remember any difference from the left side, it was about 5 years ago.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club