Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear knock/rattle

antward91

I've got a knock/clunk from the rear whist going over speedbumps in my mk3.

Ive taken it into the garage but they couldn't hear it or see anything wrong when they had it up on the ramp.

The noise it's making is asif the spare wheel is loose, more of a clunk than a knock I suppose.

Its definitely not the spare wheel or parcel shelf as I've had them out and drove it around the block.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Its driving me mad!

Strut tower mount bushings possibly deteriorated 

FB_IMG_1494008739399_zpsnoej4k6i.jpg.7ab5021a865664d86d0175606a758b73.jpg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, antward91 said:

I've got a knock/clunk from the rear whist going over speedbumps in my mk3.

Ive taken it into the garage but they couldn't hear it or see anything wrong when they had it up on the ramp.

The noise it's making is asif the spare wheel is loose, more of a clunk than a knock I suppose.

Its definitely not the spare wheel or parcel shelf as I've had them out and drove it around the block.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Its driving me mad!

If it sounds like somebody tapping underneath and it does it when reaching the top of steep inclines too it with be the rear swaybar bushes. 

8 hours ago, F0CUE said:

If it sounds like somebody tapping underneath and it does it when reaching the top of steep inclines too it with be the rear swaybar bushes. 

It only seems to do it on as the car comes back down over the red coloured squarish speedbumps, the round black ones doesn't bother it at all its really strange  , tried bouncing the back end and I cant hear a thing still

Without diagnosing it hard to tell but jack it up and put on jack stands and lever things till you hear the knock. It could even be a dodgy rear shock or rear shock mount or an exhaust mount.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Without diagnosing it hard to tell but jack it up and put on jack stands and lever things till you hear the knock. It could even be a dodgy rear shock or rear shock mount or an exhaust mount.

I can feel a Dave Edmunds hit coming on 😅

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

I can feel a Dave Edmunds hit coming on 😅

First single i bought out of my own wages, still a classic. Anyway,  knackered coil spring? 

• Haha 1

With the garage saying they couldn't find anything, I was hoping it would be something silly like something loose under the carpet or behind the trim etc, but I've had everything out the boot today, all the trim off and it's still there, I dont a jack and axle stands to be able to do much myself but I've crawled under the car and cant feel anything loose, exhaust and heat shield are firmly in place so it must be something on the suspension.

I just find it odd that I can bounce the car and hear nothing , drive 95% of the time and theres no noise, just them f-ing red speed bumps make it clunk!

I'll probably just have to give it a few weeks until it gets worse and take it back to the garage 

Open the back door and sit on the edge of the seat and bounce it that way it has more effect or employ someone else to do it while your investigating at the rear. Or close somebody in the boot and get them to bounce around it will be easier to pinpoint the noise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Open the back door and sit on the edge of the seat and bounce it that way it has more effect or employ someone else to do it while your investigating at the rear. Or close somebody in the boot and get them to bounce around it will be easier to pinpoint the noise.

Thanks I'll give that a try tomorrow

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, antward91 said:

Thanks I'll give that a try tomorrow

Tomorrow 😅 Pace yourself for it;

A can of RedBull might help 

• Haha 1

three possible causes

a) the numerous exhaust heat shields fall off, as the steel nut/clips corrode out a circle of the aluminium heat shield till nothing's holding them on

b) the antiroll bar link rod ball joints wear and knock / rattle

c) the rear silencer mount falls off and it rattles against the rear box,

all simple bodges done for pennies

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Funny enough I'm getting the same myself now I thought it was swaybar links and have replaced with brand new and still a metallic knock exists but only on small bumps. I then pulled the shocks out and they seem perfect the mounts look undamaged the rubber is like new and the shocks when pushed in move up slowly like normal. The exhaust is stable no movement that would hit the body. Is it possible for the swaybar bushes to be so bad that it would create such a loud metallic thump near the spare wheel area? It seems to appear central.

Just going to bite the bullet and get shocks. The car is getting on so guess it will need them anyways. If it's not that then I guess more of a diagnosis will need done. It's had recent new bananas, swaybar links so defo not them.

• 1 year later...
On 10/15/2019 at 9:24 AM, F0CUE said:

Just going to bite the bullet and get shocks. The car is getting on so guess it will need them anyways. If it's not that then I guess more of a diagnosis will need done. It's had recent new bananas, swaybar links so defo not them.

Did you manage to fix this issue driving my mrs maddd!!!

If I remember correctly it turned out to be the rear exhaust mount just before the rear bumper had separated so the exhaust was bouncing up and down and a jubilee clip sorted it out.

• Like 1