Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Programming

Geierstürzflug

Focus TDCi '03 (Mk 1.5)

I have two keys, (3-button type) which work OK, but wanted an additional spare.

I had a T-piece cut, and picked-up a handful of old keys, for their bodies, from my friendly scrappy.

I've tried all of the bodies on the new key, with a new battery, and followed the re-programming procedure religiously, but can't overcome the immobiliser.

Central locking works OK with the new keys.

Help!

20190524 Focus key.jpg

I believe you have only programned the central locking circuit in the key fob to unlock / lock the car.

To program the transponder chip in the key fob to deactivate the immobiliser (PATS I) you must complete each of the following steps within 5 seconds.

Insert first (original) programmed key in the ignition & turn to position 2, turn the key back to position 0 & remove from the ignition.

Insert second (original) programmed key in the ignition & turn to position 2, turn back to position 0 & remove the second key.

The PATS I system is now in programming mode.

Now insert you new key & turn to position 2 ( within 10 seconds )
turn the ignition back to 0 & remove the key & then wait for five seconds.

Now try to start the car with your new key.

If programming has failed then the led light in the clock will flash after the ignition is switched on denoting an uncoded key and the car will not start.

If done correctly then the immobiliser light will go out and the car will start.

Iirc you can have up to a maximum of 8 keys programmed to the PATS I system at any one time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I too am interested in getting another '3 button' spare, however, my current 'spare' is the one originally supplied with the car and is buttonless. Is the procedure above the same?

1725521159_sparefocuskeyLoRes.thumb.jpg.c42ae41e4b3867e0c7c26234af5f662b.jpg

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I too am interested in getting another '3 button' spare, however, my current 'spare' is the one originally supplied with the car and is buttonless. Is the procedure above the same?
1725521159_sparefocuskeyLoRes.thumb.jpg.c42ae41e4b3867e0c7c26234af5f662b.jpg
Unfortunately not.
Adding a key as I posted only works for PATS I systems.
The newer PATS II system doesn't work the same way and keys need adding using IDS, Forscan or by cloning the transponder code by somewhere like Timpsons.

Bummer, Timpsons quoted me £140! Hence, quite happy to remain with one 3 x button key!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Bummer, Timpsons quoted me £140! Hence, quite happy to remain with one 3 x button key!

Shop around I found the price differed from branch to branch when I had some Jag keys done

Unless it went down to £30, not interested. It's a 15 year old car, if the occasion ever arose, I have a full set of screwdrivers LOL 😀

• Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, Stoney871 said:

I believe you have only programned the central locking circuit in the key fob to unlock / lock the car.

To program the transponder chip in the key fob to deactivate the immobiliser (PATS I) you must complete each of the following steps within 5 seconds.

Insert first (original) programmed key in the ignition & turn to position 2, turn the key back to position 0 & remove from the ignition.

Insert second (original) programmed key in the ignition & turn to position 2, turn back to position 0 & remove the second key.

The PATS I system is now in programming mode.

Now insert you new key & turn to position 2 ( within 10 seconds )
turn the ignition back to 0 & remove the key & then wait for five seconds.

Now try to start the car with your new key.

If programming has failed then the led light in the clock will flash after the ignition is switched on denoting an uncoded key and the car will not start.

If done correctly then the immobiliser light will go out and the car will start.

Iirc you can have up to a maximum of 8 keys programmed to the PATS I system at any one time.

Thanks; but this is exactly what I've done, more times than you can shake a stick at, and still can't overcome the immobiliser.

Could be that the transponder chips in the spare fobs aren't the correct ones for PATS I then.

Some MK1 versions (usually Diesel versions or special orders for rental or lease companies) do have the manual key programming functionality switched off in the PCM configuration. In this case additional keys can only be programmed using a suitible diagnostic system that has the ability to program the TIMED PATS system.

Apart from this arround 2003 Ford switched from the old (glass) 4D60 transponder to the newer (epoxy) 4D63 transponder. These transponders are not interchangeable. The additional key you are trying to program should contain the correct transponder otherwise it will not work.

• Like 1

For StephenFord.  

Do you have a windows laptop?  if so you can do it quite cheap. This is what I did for a 2009 Focus diesel.

get a fault code reader eg. from Tunnel Rat electronics. Under 20 quid including postage. (I already had one)

Download Forscan free of charge (link on Tunnelrat website).

get the free Forscan extended licence.

You can now use Forscan to program the immobiliser chip in keys.

Got a key blade from eBay cut from photo (about a tenner I think)

Bought a complete blank key from eBay including the electronics (about a tenner I think) Make sure it has the correct type of immobilser chip in (I think it was 4D63)

All went to plan.

Or you could buy an old used key, remove the key blade. Attach the button part by key rign to your non-button key. Then you can just program the buttons easily on car without worrying about immmobiliser chip (not quite as neat and tidy but easy and cheap)

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses.

I'll check that the chips are the same, and re-visit scrappy if not 🙂.

I already have code reader and Forscan, but left my laptop behind, when visiting friends in Holland 😞 (Good excuse for another visit).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club