Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 interior lighting issue

Criot

I have a new 19 plate focus st-line X, i’ve noticed that the front interior lights stay on constantly when entering the car, however the rear ones go off as normal. Using the switch to turn them off works, and returning to normal position keeps them off, after that they then go off/on as normal when opening/closing doors, it literally only seems to happen the first time you unlock and get in the car

has anyone else had this issue or know of a fix without having the hassle of taking it back to ford over something so minor?

Nope, the rear seat ones do however the front ones stay on constantly until you turn them off manually on the switch.

My Focus Estate is currently back at the dealers for this same problem.  They did initially say it could be a software issue but apparently have ordered a new front interior light assembly.  I'll let you know if they sort it out.

Criot, I collected my Focus this afternoon and the problem seems to be solved.  Although they ordered a new interior light fitting they did not need to fit it - the solution was much simpler.  Near the hinges on each door there is a black rod/plunger that detects that the door is open and turns the interior lights on - the usual sort of arrangement.  That rod goes up against a blanking grommet on the body of the car when the door is closed.  On my car one of these grommets was missing (a rear passenger door) revealing a small hole where it should be.  I mentioned that when I took the car in but they, quite reasonably, thought that wouldn't be the cause as the door open warning light didn't come on.  Also why would the rear interior light go out and not the front?  Anyway they had ordered a blanking grommet and fitted that first.  That seemed to cure it … but not immediately.  They had to manually turn the lights off then back to auto first then all was well and stayed well.  I have tested it back at home … leaving the car for a couple of hours then trying again … and all works as you'd expect.  It sort of defies logic but maybe that's the clue … it's probably all linked to some software that works on 1's and 0's.  Anyway, have a look at your car and see if there is a black grommet missing on the body by one (or more) door.  I hope that works for you.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 7:42 PM, Tolly said:

Criot, I collected my Focus this afternoon and the problem seems to be solved.  Although they ordered a new interior light fitting they did not need to fit it - the solution was much simpler.  Near the hinges on each door there is a black rod/plunger that detects that the door is open and turns the interior lights on - the usual sort of arrangement.  That rod goes up against a blanking grommet on the body of the car when the door is closed.  On my car one of these grommets was missing (a rear passenger door) revealing a small hole where it should be.  I mentioned that when I took the car in but they, quite reasonably, thought that wouldn't be the cause as the door open warning light didn't come on.  Also why would the rear interior light go out and not the front?  Anyway they had ordered a blanking grommet and fitted that first.  That seemed to cure it … but not immediately.  They had to manually turn the lights off then back to auto first then all was well and stayed well.  I have tested it back at home … leaving the car for a couple of hours then trying again … and all works as you'd expect.  It sort of defies logic but maybe that's the clue … it's probably all linked to some software that works on 1's and 0's.  Anyway, have a look at your car and see if there is a black grommet missing on the body by one (or more) door.  I hope that works for you.

Interesting! The problem seems to have gone away now but lasted for a few days so i’ll have to have a look into this if it happens again, thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hello,

just bought a dec 2018 registered Focus zetec and the drivers interior light seems to come on when the car is locked. It was on last night when I looked and the again this evening when I went to the car after work. Is this because the car lights were set to auto instead of manually setting them? just seems weird and this didn't happen on my previous MK3 focus.

Any clues would be useful.

Thanks,

Paul

p.s. there is a SYNC update that I can install, but not sure this is a fix for this issue.

• 2 months later...

The wife has a 20 reg Active, the osr interior light stays on all time regardless of switch settings. Any ideas?   Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a silly question - but you haven't accidentally pressed on the lights themselves have you? I had this recently - lights were on dispite doors closed and switch in central position.

Turns out you can turn each individual light on and off by pressing each one. Has a switch built in.

• 1 month later...

Glad I read this I’ve got the same issue with the light staying on- weirdly its only the drivers side light staying on, I checked the drivers door and the rubber door thing has also fallen off

5 hours ago, Joekw2020 said:

Glad I read this I’ve got the same issue with the light staying on- weirdly its only the drivers side light staying on, I checked the drivers door and the rubber door thing has also fallen off

You have to remember that Ford only started making cars 110 years ago. They are still getting the hang of producing a reliable rubber grommet... 🤣

• Haha 3

• 11 months later...

Ambient lighting option is not showing in settings. I have 2020 titanium x version which I was told has this option. Any idea why I can’t find it? 

It only shows in settings with ign on /engine running.

• 9 months later...

I've had this issue for over 6 months now with my mk4 focus and I’m so tired of it!

2x official Ford dealerships have done several software updates, reset the car back to the day it was born, and changed the light-unit but it didn’t work. Car is still under an extended 7 year warranty.

Can someone send me a picture of where these blanking grommets are in the doors?

I’d like to check it out myself and let the dealership know. Thank you

Hello @JoMoFo what is the problem that you have ?

This thread is dealing with different problems and was started 3 years ago.

Hi JoFoMo.  As Unofix says, there are a few different problems on here.  This relates to the issue referred to at the start of this thread.   In case it helps I've attached a photo of the grommet that was missing on my car.  There is of course one on each door pillar, well should be!   When my dealer fitted the missing grommet it solved the problem … but not immediately apparently.  They had to manually turn the lights off then back to auto then all was well and has stayed well.  Hope this solves your problem, if not I hope some dealership somewhere sorts it soon.

Focus Door Grommet.jpg

Hi @Tolly thanks for posting the picture. I'm most puzzled as to how that grommet would in any way effect the operation of the lights, or for that matter anything electrical. It's actually a 'striker plate' to save the paint from being damaged when the plunger pin that operates the door 'edge protectors' gets pushed in as you close the door. The system is purely mechanical, just a spring loaded push rod that connects to the edge protector.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi @Tolly thanks for posting the picture. I'm most puzzled as to how that grommet would in any way effect the operation of the lights, or for that matter anything electrical. It's actually a 'striker plate' to save the paint from being damaged when the plunger pin that operates the door 'edge protectors' gets pushed in as you close the door. The system is purely mechanical, just a spring loaded push rod that connects to the edge protector.

Then that is baffling.  I assumed the push rod made or broke an electrical contact to detect an open door like they did "in the old days."  I'm not going to remove the grommet to see if I can recreate the problem!

I thought door edge protectors was  what the grommet issue  was referring too. 

And yes it is, nothing to do with interior light. The microswitch for interior light is in the door latch it's self. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Our 22 reg the interior lights don’t come on when you unlock the car. However when you end your journey switch the ignition off everything lights up as it should,    Any ideas? 

28 minutes ago, Steve7710 said:

Our 22 reg the interior lights don’t come on when you unlock the car. However when you end your journey switch the ignition off everything lights up as it should,    Any ideas? 

Low battery possibly 

My door protector fell off, so replaced with stick on furniture pads, that could be cut to suit, they seem to be staying where there meant to.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Nimrodmk8 said:

My door protector fell off, so replaced with stick on furniture pads, that could be cut to suit, they seem to be staying where there meant to.

Just to clarify I do not have the door protectors, it was the plastic cover that fell off

• Confused 1

Sorry, but I don't see what this has to do with this topic which is about interior lighting.

On 10/25/2023 at 4:21 PM, mjt said:

Sorry, but I don't see what this has to do with this topic which is about interior lighting.

After reading again, sorry it doesn't have anything to do with this topic, whoops sorry.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club