Darran8375

Focus 1.8 tdci juddering and loss of fuel

Hi guys,

I seem to be losing loads of fuel as I'm driving. Filled up 2 days ago and had 560 miles on the clock. I've done 136 miles now but only have 393 left so I've lost 31 miles of fuel so far. The car keeps doing this. Also it judders like the fuel isn't being burned properly, this happens quite often not just during gear changes. Any advice would be great.

Thanks guys

3 hours ago, Darran8375 said:

Hi guys,

I seem to be losing loads of fuel as I'm driving. Filled up 2 days ago and had 560 miles on the clock. I've done 136 miles now but only have 393 left so I've lost 31 miles of fuel so far. The car keeps doing this. Also it judders like the fuel isn't being burned properly, this happens quite often not just during gear changes. Any advice would be great.

Thanks guys

The estimated miles remaining figure is dynamic so how you drive the car can cause this figure to dip i.e. if you'd spent most of the last tank of fuel doing steady motorway runs the "estimated" range will increase.  If you fill up and then do more urban driving i.e. stop/start etc the figure will understandably drop.

Although the 1.8 TDCi is largely a bulletproof engine, there have been 2 major issues towards the end of the period it was used.  One of which is that from (roughly) mid 2008 to end 2009 Siemens supplied a load of sub-standard fuel injectors to Ford.  Sadly they tend to wear out much more quickly than vehicles built outside of this date range.  Ford never did a recall (apparently, potentially going into limp mode in lane 3 of a motorway wasn't a safety issue) so drivers were left to pick up the cost of replacing the faulty injectors themselves.  There are potentially various symptoms, not everyone affected experiences all of the symptoms.

There's a lengthy thread here that's worth a read to give you more detail on the issue.