Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK3 1.6 TDCI EGR Blanking Plate

Dan_TDCI

I have a 2012 Focus MK3 1.6 TDCI 113bhp and considering EGR blanking plate and remap to delete EGR software.

I know on  the MK3 the EGR is self cleaning and seems to have less issues, but assume with regular short journeys will eventually start to see issues ?

Therefore if I install a blanking plate and have the EGR software mapped out is this worth the effort as read can improve throttle response,economy and reduced carbon deposits in the engine.

Engine is DV6C/DV6D which is the later 8v version.

Does the MK3 suffer from EGR issues ?

Is this the location of the EGR on Focus MK3 1.6 diesel.  DV6C/DV6D Engine ?

Screenshot_20190927-210352.jpg

1 hour ago, Dan_TDCI said:

s this the location of the EGR on Focus MK3 1.6 diesel.  DV6C/DV6D Engine ?

That looks very much like the DV6 engine (Mk2/2a) to me.

Pic of EGR on the DV6C (mk3) is below, from:

https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/53/no/17/1553/15430/67111/

I seem to recall iantt saying there were very few problems with the EGR on the mk3. It is much better than the mk2.

I suspect that remapping would be needed with the mk3 to avoid error messages or poor operation. Even on my old Mk2 Lynx, the ECU clearly knows when the EGR is blanked, it drives the valve full open yet still can not see the required flow. It does not complain about it to the extent of an error message, but I think it operates in a sub-optimum way, with worse fuel economy. When my EGR was misbehaving (electrical problems in the actuator), the car was much better with it blanked. But with a good, working EGR, it seems to be better with it unblanked. Top end power is not affected by the EGR, the valve closes anywhere near max power.

As for carbon build-up, I still think a little bit of the Italian tune-up is a better answer. A nice bit of up-hill dual carriageway, hold back the speed until on the gradient, then open up fully in top gear for as long as possible while staying (more or less!) legal. Not every trip, just every couple of 100 miles.

If re-mapping is involved, you are entirely in the hands of whoever does the mapping. I doubt if Ford gives any assistance in this, so where they get their information from is a mystery. And it seems to vary a lot. I would leave it alone unless I had good reason to suspect there was a problem, to be honest. Unless maybe going to a reputable company for a power upgrade, then I would listen to their own advice. Power upgrades (with a warranty of some sort) need the best from an engine, they should be better able to give unbiased advice about the EGR.

DV6C-EGR.gif

• Like 1

You guys do realize that egr blanks are illegal right, was going to fit one to a Mondeo.  If found you could be facing a £1k fine  and not to mention that your invalidating your insurance too.  Would of done mine, if it was not for that.  Your best option is just to clean when needed.

4 hours ago, Gaskell71 said:

You guys do realize that egr blanks are illegal right, was going to fit one to a Mondeo.  If found you could be facing a £1k fine  and not to mention that your invalidating your insurance too.  Would of done mine, if it was not for that.  Your best option is just to clean when needed.

Just saying; what if your the second or more owner of the vehicle, how would someone know 

I think it's only illegal if it modifies the emissions level too much. Unfortunately that 'too much' is at the discretion of whomever it is that examines your vehicle.

Any modification of the emmisions system is an MOT fail now.

EGR blank has no effect on the smoke test compared to a working EGR.

Ignorance isn't a defence either, a lot of people are getting caught like this completely oblivious to the fact their DPF is empty for example...

Yeah dpf and egr if theyre visable are now an mot fail. However most of the time testers cant see an egr blank.

Its the reason i wont own a dpf model diesel anymore. Cant remove them without big fines . Which sucks. Ive currently got a mk6 fiesta that doesnt have a dpf. Just has a cat. Shame really

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

I've not seen any MK3 egr issues, and you can't just fit a blanking plate due to the design compared to the mk2./2.5 . I would just leave alone and drive the car. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Like 2