Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Stop-Start Question

cromwell.4

Hi there. I have just bought a 2013 Fiesta Zetec 1.0, Petrol Manual. It has auto stop start but I don't know how to get it to work. The instructions say to stop, put car in neutral and then to take foot off the clutch and accelerator. Is this correct? When I stop I have my feet on the clutch and brake!

Seriously?

You're one of those that likes to sit at lights and blind people behind them, while wearing your clutch release bearing out then.

• Like 2

I don't think he meant he rides it, just that the clutch pedal is depressed.

But yes, put in neutral and release clutch.  It is in neutral so the gearbox is disengaged.

Engine should start when you depress the clutch ready to go into a gear.

1 minute ago, Guy Heaton said:

By having your foot constantly on the clutch, the release bearing is engaged and it will prematurely wear it.

It doesn't do the clutch components much good to constantly have it depressed when you can just put the car in neutral and apply the handbrake.

The clutch is for changing gears, that includes changing to neutral.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Seriously?

You're one of those that likes to sit at lights and blind people behind them, while wearing your clutch release bearing out then.

No. I put the handbrake on. Take my foot off the brake. Put the car into neutral. 😘

Just now, cromwell.4 said:

No. I put the handbrake on. Take my foot off the brake. Put the car into neutral. 😘

That's not what you said in the first post:

When I stop I have my feet on the clutch and brake!

Auto stop start won't work without releasing the clutch in neutral. It then also needs a good battery charge level and will not operate if there is a high electrical load, a/c, high/low ambient temps, etc.

13 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

But yes, put in neutral and release clutch.  It is in neutral so the gearbox is disengaged.

Engine should start when you depress the clutch ready to go into a gear

The handbrake is on. The car is in neutral. Both feet are on the floor. The engine continues to idle. The only time I have seen the Stop-Start on the display was when I stalled the engine but the displayed prompted me to start the car manually.

That is at the point of stopping the car. I was pointing out the fact that my feet were not on the accelerator and clutch.

The Aircon is off. The heating is off. I have the cool air blowing at a 1. The radio is off. The headlights are off.

How do I know if the battery charge is low? 

You would need a battery tester, but stopstart is very sensitive anyway.  It doesn't engage most of the time on my 4 month old focus or the missus year old fiesta.

• 1 month later...

My C Max start/stop system rarely worked from new. When stationary and in neutral a greyed out icon appears on the instrument display which means the system is 'unavailable'. Dealer investigated and reported low battery condition. They recharged the battery and the system then worked for a week before reverting to not working. Dealer thinks I don't use the car enough - 600/650 miles per month. I hardly ever have the air con on and its not been cold enough for heated screens. Booked in to check the charging system and to measure quiescent drain from the battery

By the sounds of it your battery is on its way out if its the original battery on a 2013 car this would be most likely.

For the start system to work the condition of the battery is monitored now this is where it gets tricky to check as a standard volt meter wont give enough info as it monitors volt drop and amps to ensure the vehicle wont turn off if it thinks it wont start again so you get the grey logo and it stops working.

now the batteries themselves are very specific you need to get the correct one or again it wont work most people and dealers are chea sorry all but this is the case you need an AGM or EFB battery for a stop start system to work if you fit a lead acid standar battery you run the risk of basicly bricking the cars control units. 

Without knowing your exact model of fiesta just a 1.0 ecoboost 2013 with a quick nose around points to it being an EFB type 901 battery have a look at yours make sure its the right one approx 65ah65ah with 650cca and it will say on it efb or start stop battery if not the system is at risk and the car could fail on you.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club