Do Not Sell My Personal Information

tyres

steplce74

19 hours ago, xs2man said:

I've had Uniroyal Rainsport 3's a few times.  Never got much mileage out of them any time I've had them.  Usually between 6-8k per set.  Wouldn't buy again.  Ok in the wet, not great in the dry.  They are the tyre of choice of internet heroes though, and you are forever getting told about people mates who have them on their RS6 and wouldn't touch another tyre brand.  Well, they are about 2/3 of the price of Michelin PS4's in the same sizes, on average, but get half the miles out of them.  So they are more expensive and worse in all conditions than the PS4's, so never again.

Glad it's not just me that doesn't like RS3's...  I daren't say it online usually! :laugh:  Far too soft for any sort of cornering and wear out quicker than anything else, they're not even that good in the wet which is meant to be their USP!

Before those came out, everyone raved about Toyo Proxes T1-R...another utterly awful tyre! :lol:  I'd go as far as saying they were dangerous in the wet as there was no progression, they'd just suddenly snap out of line at low speeds on sweeping bends!  But at least they had a cool looking tread pattern... :whistling: 

I agree with others though, tyres aren't something where you always get what you pay for.  Some budgets are better than some mid-range...it's all about branding and advertising.  The Pirelli P6000s that came standard on 306s were another awful tyre, despite being a decent brand...  This happened when I refitted a set to this 75bhp 1.4 and sold it!! 😮 :laugh:

Image result for toms306 diablo

• Like 2

Yes, I am also glad someone else can see the RS3's for what they really are.  Also agree with the P6000's.  I had them on a car years ago, and changed them for P7's, which were only a little better IMO.  There are, for sure, some exceptions to the "get what you pay for" idea when it comes to tyres.  But I have found that, in general, if you can stick to Goodyear, Michelin or Continental, you are pretty safe.  I only really dislike the wear rate on the Continental tyres I have bought, so rarely are considered.

As I said on my first post, I have tried many budget, and mid-range tyres.  My favourite of which being the Vredestein.  They really were a good tyre, and I would happily recommend them to friends or family if they didn't have the cash for a premium tyre.

For example, the tyres I have on my current fleet include Davanti winter tyres on my 2006 Honda CRV (hate them tyres, but they were new when I bought the car, and just now at least am too cheap to change them for something better.  But they spin up too easy, feel very "washy" on the road, and are loud).  My 2001 Volvo S40 has a combination of Michelin Cross Climates on the front and Primacy 4's on the rear.  My Clio 197 F1 has some Yokohama tyres on it (I think), but I've only had that car a month, and am getting all the mechanical bits sorted before putting PS4's on it.  And my Focus has the Assy 5's.  So a range of tyres at a range of budgets really.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Yes, if funds are unlimited, spend your money on what you want, but I'd never castigate anyone for living within their means and entirely legally...😀

My Falkens were £44? per corner, you can get some cracking deals if you shop around 😁

5 hours ago, StephenFord said:

This could be 'one of those' threads LOL I remember on the old Celica GT4 forum I was on, a 'what tyre' thread ran to over 45 pages. Everyone has an opinion, which is often different to everyone else's, then once you get the tyres, we'll all be discussing what's the best pressure to pit in them 🤣

It's these threads I love though because you get so many different views and reasons, on putting XL tyres on a car that wouldn't normally have them I've read a few threads on PH and other places that have said to use higher pressures. Soon settled that by contacting Goodyear directly and asking them (and no, you don't need to use higher pressures).

what about firestone roadhawks? any views

2 hours ago, steplce74 said:

what about firestone roadhawks? any views

I had some firestones on a car YEARS ago.  I was a lot younger then, and didn't know much about tyre differences.  I do know that while attempting an overtake with these on, the car in front attempted to run into the side of me, I tapped the brakes, 2 of the tyres started to slip, put me in a spin, and wrote the car off.  I have never used them again.  Nor will I ever use them again.  They are maybe better now, but I'm quite sure there are much better tyres out there than these.

Never had/used premium tyres on any of my cars ( oh I did have Avon Tyres on a Capri 2.8i back in the eighty's, were on the car when I bought it) have ALWAYS used budget tyres only ever paying £45-£55 per corner.

I might be lucky but have never lost control of a car yet, I always drive to the condition of the weather and I know the limits of my driving.

Currently have 225/40/18 Zeetec HP2000 VFM on all four corners, cost me £180 for four fitted and so far just like the rest of the budgets I've fitted over the years are just fine.

Screenshot_20191012-225530.jpg

Screenshot_20191012-225425.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wilto said:

Never had/used premium tyres on any of my cars ( oh I did have Avon tyres on a Capri 2.8i back in the eighty's, were on the car when I bought it) have ALWAYS used budget tyres only ever paying £45-£55 per corner.

That was the only car I spun round a roundabout backwards, but it was a loaner and my then XR2 could take it easily at 45MPH. However, my driving skills back then were lousy, and solely based on watching Starsky & Hutch, and also Bodie & Doyle. (Our younger readers may have to 'google' LOL)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, StephenFord said:

That was the only car I spun round a roundabout backwards, but it was a loaner and my then XR2 could take it easily at 45MPH. However, my driving skills back then were lousy, and solely based on watching Starsky & Hutch, and also Bodie & Doyle. (Our younger readers may have to 'google' LOL)

Sadly I don't need to Google😀. First car I spun was a Morris 1000 (company pool car on crossplies), only other was a Marina TC which had similar suspension but a mighty 95 bhp.

On the original point, I've always stuck with the "big name" brands, in part influenced by our fleet management system at work which always showed them as giving best mileage results, barring accidental damage. I've had the odd Hankook etc which have come on a couple of nearly new Fords I've had, don't recall any particular issues.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club