Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Eco boost

RichardR21

Hi guys

Im buying a Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost 100 on a 69 plate , some of you may have already seen that by my previous post.

I would just like to know. Are you able to use the Eco option straight away? Or is it recommenced you drive at least 1000 miles to break the car in a little bit?

ive seen and heard conflicting answers

TIA

The "eco" option is the same as driving gently.

I drove 200 miles with eco on and A/C off then back 200 miles with eco off and A/C on.
hardly made any difference, as others have mentioned you can have "Eco" or "Boost" but not both.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardR21 said:

ive seen and heard conflicting answers

You'll probably see a few more on here as we all have our own views on things!😀

Like Tiexen, I'm not a fan of eco modes and in my experience they do little, if anything, you can't achieve by careful driving. But of course it's up to you to form your own opinion after giving it a try with and without the eco mode on.

As running in is best accomplished by varying the load on the engine I'd give it the first 1,000 miles without eco mode, as you suggest. Also, you may find it takes up to 5,000 miles or so before the engine fully loosens off and gives best performance/economy.

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

You'll probably see a few more on here as we all have our own views on things!😀

Like Tiexen, I'm not a fan of eco modes and in my experience they do little, if anything, you can't achieve by careful driving. But of course it's up to you to form your own opinion after giving it a try with and without the eco mode on.

As running in is best accomplished by varying the load on the engine I'd give it the first 1,000 miles without eco mode, as you suggest. Also, you may find it takes up to 5,000 miles or so before the engine fully loosens off and gives best performance/economy.

Thank you for that reply, I really appreciate it. 

Woukd you also suggest to not ‘labour’ the engine in the first 1000 miles. As in the engine judders/ appears to struggle a little bit? 

I’ve also found the petrol seems to go down rapid too and my MPG isn’t matching what it says in the tin.

You shouldn't labour an engine at any time in its life.

Ignore the stupid shift indicator.  The 100ps version does not like having to accelerate from under 2k rpm when in 4th 5th or 6th.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Ignore the stupid shift indicator.  The 100ps version does not like having to accelerate from under 2k rpm when in 4th 5th or 6th.  

YES. That was my next question ! The shift indicator keeps suggesting it all the time!!!& I’m like ‘SURELY NOT!?’. 

Is there a way of turning it off haha?

2 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

+1

1 hour ago, RichardR21 said:

YES. That was my next question ! The shift indicator keeps suggesting it all the time!!!& I’m like ‘SURELY NOT!?’. 

Is there a way of turning it off haha?

Unfortunately not!

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

+1

Unfortunately not!

Moving to a 6 speed gearbox after a five I did find it useful to remind me to change up from fith for a while

• Like 1

Same here. I forget to use my 6th but the indicator reminds me. But I would’ve liked to have been able to turn it off!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tiexen said:

Moving to a 6 speed gearbox after a five I did find it useful to remind me to change up from fith for a while

2 hours ago, RichardR21 said:

Same here. I forget to use my 6th but the indicator reminds me. But I would’ve liked to have been able to turn it off

Yes, I'd see more point in it if it was just an indicator of which gear you were currently in, as is the case with many automatics. When I started driving, 4 speeds was the norm (and there were still 3 speeds about), and engines tended to be  fairly noisy, so no difficulty with knowing what gear you were in. Modern petrol engines are generally so smooth and quiet and 6 speeds are normal for manuals (7 on some Porsches), I can understand people occassionally losing track of which gear they're in.

The shift indicator is now a mandatory requirement (since 2014 iirc) which is why it can't be turned off. 

It's designed to help reduce emissions...although I'm sure it's a large factor in the amount of clutch and DMF failures we see now...  

I've managed to cruise in 4th instead 6th on the dual carriageway a few times...I spend so long ignoring the indicator at lower speeds it doesn't have the desired effect when needed! :laugh:  Going back to a 5sp after a 6sp is the worst though...you can't usually physically select reverse straight from 5th but I've come close a few times! :lol: 

• Like 2

My issue is that it is too generic.  A higher output engine might be able to accelerate cleanly under 2k rpm, but on our 1.0 100ps Fiesta if you follow the directive and put it in 6th at 50mph the engine labours, which is  bad for the engine and not nice to drive. 5th gear uses no more fuel than 6th when cruising at 50mph but allows acceleration without labouring.

Like I say for 99% of "improvements" across many things, let those who need it have it, but give me a CHOICE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

The shift indicator is now a mandatory requirement (since 2014 iirc) which is why it can't be turned off. 

Lol I was trying (and failing) to remember when it came in. First one I encountered was on a Freelander 2 in 2010 (which was also the first thing I'd driven with start-stop). Don't think it was mandatory that early, but this was when LR were making a big thing about reducing CO2 and the price included so many years "CO2 offset" by planting trees or whatever. LR don't seem that bothered about it now, perhaps because the emphasis seems to be on NOX and other nasties nowadays.

As Guy says, it's a pity these things don't work better. I have driven something where it not only worked well but advised you when to change down as well, unfortunately can't remember what it was! Trouble is I always jump at offers of test drives so have driven a lot of cars over the years. It does seem though that in general manufacturers just install something for the sake of compliance, when with a bit of effort (and, inevitably, expense I suppose) it could actually be useful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

As Guy says, it's a pity these things don't work better. I have driven something where it not only worked well but advised you when to change down as well, unfortunately can't remember what it was! Trouble is I always jump at offers of test drives so have driven a lot of cars over the years. It does seem though that in general manufacturers just install something for the sake of compliance, when with a bit of effort (and, inevitably, expense I suppose) it could actually be useful.

The Mk6 Golf has a downshift indicator... :tongue:  

It's the best way to tell a DPF regen is taking place tbh!  The only other time I've seen it is when I accidentally shifted from 1st to 4th instead of 2nd... :laugh: 

I don't find it an effective 'upshift' suggestion though, I preferred the one on the Mk3 Focus tbh, that seemed fairly accurate.  The Golf often wants me to be in 6th at 40mph!  It is a semi-smart system though, it allows a few more revs when you're loaded on hills for example.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

The Mk6 Golf has a downshift indicator... :tongue:  

Lol again! Yes, it was a VW Group car. Virtually all the VW/Audi/Skoda/SEAT demos I've driven in the last few years were DSG/S-tronic which indicate the gear you are in currently. So, it must have been............ my own Mk 3 Leon, which I was driving for 3 years previous to the Fiesta!  Shows how much attention I pay to these things!😀

• Haha 1