Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 Fiesta indicators flashing too fast

RichMather83

Hi All, 

The indicators on my 2007 Mk6 1.6 tdci fiesta flash too quickly. The same way they would if you had a blown bulb. But this happens on both sides. All the bulbs are working. I’ve checked the fuses and everything seems fine there. Also they flash at the normal rate when the hazards are on. I was hoping it would just be a simple flash relay issue but looking at other discussions I see that this car doesn’t have a flasher relay and the indicators are controlled by the GEM. 

Vehicle electronics are not my strong point so I’m a bit clueless where to start. Could this be an issue with the GEM? If so, is it a case of sourcing a new one and replacing it? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

if you take one bulb out do they go even faster ?

I might be tempted to connect an additional bulb to see if the higher load reduces flashing speed as an experiment, and then try the hazards with the addtnl bulb connected and see if they stay ok. 

of course you'd rather not replace the gem if there is another way. 

On 10/3/2019 at 11:08 PM, RichMather83 said:

Could this be an issue with the GEM? If so, is it a case of sourcing a new one and replacing it? 

The GEM has current sensing on the circuits to the indicator bulbs. If the current is too low, like a blown bulb, then it will flash quickly as a warning. Hence the question about LEDs, as they draw low current unless a current wasting resistor is added.

If all of the bulbs are of the correct wattage and working ok, then my guess would be that the current sensing part of the GEM has gone wrong on one side. It will work differently in hazard mode with both sides flashing, so could be ok in that mode. Adding extra load (like an extra bulb as Isetta suggests) might test this, though the error may be too great for this to work.

On the Focus Mk2, the GEM / BCM can be replaced fairly simply, as the immobiliser is in the instrument cluster and ECU. According to one post on justanswer.com, this is also the case for the Mk6 Fiesta.

The replacement must be from a virtually identical car, all cabin & lighting options especially.

You would need to reprogramme all remote control locking fobs, but this is a very simple operation in the user manual. Re-programming the immobiliser is not so simple.

Thank you very much for the advice guys. Very helpful. I’ll try increasing the resistance with an extra bulb and then go on from there. 

Actually to be technically correct, if you add another bulb (in parallel) it reduces the resistance, not increases it

• 1 year later...

Although it's an old post and I can't offer a solution I thought I'd add some other information in case it is of any interest researching this later on.

I have a UK 2007 Ford Fusion (based on the Fiesta I think).

So I also found that my indicators were running fast in both directions but hazard lights were OK making it look to me as if the bulbs are OK.

When I started to investigate I remembered I had removed the fuse for the central locking just a few days before. This was because I have a problem with the door open sensor meaning there were times I couldn't lock the car so decided to do away with central locking so I could lock manually.

Anyway. in the context of the indicator problem I wondered if the missing fuse may have something to do with it so put it back. So - here is the interesting bit - with  the ignition on when the fuse was put back in it made no difference but when the ignition was then turned off and back on again the indicators worked at the proper speed!

It seems as if the car senses the various circuits when the ignition is first turned on (bulbs for example as someone else has said) and that if there is an fault (including bizarrely the central locking) and indicates this to the driver when he has driven off and about to take the first turning!!!!!

Anyway, my plan is to put a switch in the circuit so that I can disable to central locking when (and only when) I need to.

Hope someone finds this interesting!

• Like 1