Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 2 reverse camera

Marky89

Hi all, looking around I'm finding different opinions on getting a reverse camera fitted to my Focus ST

I've got a Focus ST2 65 plate with Sync 2 8" touch screen with voice control. 

I haven't got any reverse sensors or camera and wanting to get a camera installed. 

I'm wondering if anyone has come across a guide for this? Or could help? 

Ive Read I need the camera (obvious) 

A wiring loom (tailgate to boot) 

And Forscan to activate it. 

I've got Forscan and the OBD2 cable (HS/MS can) 

What else would I need and are the looms from the Sync 2 to the boot already installed in factory? (Saves me ripping apart my car interior) 

Thanks. 

Mark. 

There are a few topics for this project. Search focus mk3 reverse camera.

you will need the camera and a 54pin APIM harness. You don’t need a wiring loom as you run the RCA to the front of the car and connect it to the new harness which you connect to the back of your Sync unit. Assuming you are not using an OEM camera of course. If you go down the OEM route then it will be more work. 

Only difference between OEM and aftermarket is you don’t get the dynamic steering lines but you do get the static red/yellow/green markers. Plus OEM is going to cost more, I did aftermarket for £35 all in.

This is the topic you want. The same process for Sync 2 & 3

Sorry for not responding quicker. Had no notification about a reply. 

Thanks for the Information. I would have liked to have done it as if it was a factory fitted option but more likely to go down this route. 

Thanks again. 

Sorry for not responding quicker. Had no notification about a reply. 

Thanks for the Information. I would have liked to have done it as if it was a factory fitted option but more likely to go down this route. 

Thanks again. 
In my opinion I think that if it was something you wanted and you were buying new then definitely order it off the line, but retrofitting a camera I would always go with an aftermarket setup. Mainly due to the price, it's 10% of the price and the only difference is the dynamic parking lines. Again its my opinion that if you need the car to tell you were it's going then maybe driving isn't for you lol (I don't mean you in particular@Marky89 just people in general)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi guys . Sorry to jump in , I've got 2016 focus std which has rear factory sensors fitted . I am looking to fit reverse camera , my car has plug in boot you guys talking about .would prefer original camera fitted ,  I have asked ray smith audio to fit camera. Quoting £600 ! What's realistic price to hook up camera and anybody know who does it ? I'm in edinburgh for any help. Thanks very much. Jazzy29. 

Hi guys . Sorry to jump in , I've got 2016 focus std which has rear factory sensors fitted . I am looking to fit reverse camera , my car has plug in boot you guys talking about .would prefer original camera fitted ,  I have asked ray smith audio to fit camera. Quoting £600 ! What's realistic price to hook up camera and anybody know who does it ? I'm in edinburgh for any help. Thanks very much. Jazzy29. 

If you are going for an original camera then you are looking at around £400-600i would imagine, the quote you have is the upper end.
Did they say that the camera they fit will have the dynamic steering lines?

13 minutes ago, Jazzy29 said:

Or £20 to do it yourself.

2 minutes ago, iantt said:

Or £20 to do it yourself.

Hi buddy thanks for reply.  I ain't any good with that gig . Is there a how to do it on here or anyone able to hook me up with job Edinburgh area ? Cheers jazzy29. 

15 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

If you are going for an original camera then you are looking at around £400-600i would imagine, the quote you have is the upper end.
Did they say that the camera they fit will have the dynamic steering lines?

Hi mate thanks for reply. Ray smith audio never mentioned lines so I'd say no. Wonder if better just getting Halfords to fit after market camera. They quoting £200 for dash mounted small screen. Cheers bud. 

If there are no dynamic guidelines then you're as well just getting an aftermarket camera.

It's mental that places charge so much, even Halfords are overcharging imo.

You can buy a camera and the required cable to activate it for £35 all in. Not sure there is a 'how to' for the focus, i did one for the Mk5 Mondeo.

I fitted a camera to my '17 plate focus and it was pretty easy even without a guide. I don't have the plug in the boot so I had to run a cable to the dash, which worked out just as easy as figuring out the wiring on the plug.

If it's something you don't feel you can do then fair enough, you could consider a wireless setup as that is probably something you could do yourself?

52 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

If there are no dynamic guidelines then you're as well just getting an aftermarket camera.

It's mental that places charge so much, even Halfords are overcharging imo.

You can buy a camera and the required cable to activate it for £35 all in. Not sure there is a 'how to' for the focus, i did one for the Mk5 Mondeo.

I fitted a camera to my '17 plate focus and it was pretty easy even without a guide. I don't have the plug in the boot so I had to run a cable to the dash, which worked out just as easy as figuring out the wiring on the plug.

If it's something you don't feel you can do then fair enough, you could consider a wireless setup as that is probably something you could do yourself?

Thanks very much for advice mate. Was hoping it was plug and play  to grey multi plug in boot , but seems to be far from that . Thanks again.  

Jazzy29

I'm just also planning to install an aftermarket reverse camera on my 15 plate facelit focus. A few days ago I upgraded my SYNC1 unit to SYNC2, and everything is working correctly. As I used an extension cable from amazon that includes the RCA connector connected to pins 14 and 15 of the APIM connector, I'd like to install a simple aftermarket camera (I don't need active guidelines). I know what to do, how to install, just pull the cable till the head unit and connect the camera power to the reverse light on the back. But, I don't know how to activate it using focccus or forscan, I cannot find any entry on internet for rear camera, park assist camera or video input to know how to activate the camera on the APIM. I hope, this is possible and then, on SYNC2 configuration, I'll be able to "configure" the rear camera. Someone on facebook told me will be necessary to use a CAN-OPENER to activate the camera (like 4dtech), but I suposse this is neccesary when you are going to include the camera signal or function over the can-network line. Anyone did this before using focccus or forscan? How?

TIA

I too have been pondering about this for a while, and even more so than recently when the boot switch was playing up, anyway I have the grey plug behind the boot carpet, and I have reverse sensors and also mine is a facelift too, anyway I was in my local breakers and came a across a 15 plate Mk3.5 Titanium X, lots of goodies on it power fold etc etc, anyway it had a major front end shunt, so the rear was okay to had a look at, an low and behold a reversing camera, so out came the tools and I stripped out the wiring loom and the god awful boot switch/camera assembly, got back home tested the camera loom by plugging in to that grey plug and plugged in Forscan.

Changed * in the block from 9 to B

7D0-01-01 xBxx-xxxx-xxxx

And hey presto a fully working camera!!

All for £30

Sorry for the long story, but that was my story..

• Like 1

Nice find!! It pays to mooch about scrappies. Where is the place you got it from? I'm in need of a new OSR light cluster for a MK3.5.
@simrad I don't know about all the pins etc but if you read the post above the Forscan values are shown there.

Thank you very much, I'll give them a call tomorrow [emoji106] need to check the 2017 STline is the same rear cluster. Don't think they are different though

46 minutes ago, KevG said:

I too have been pondering about this for a while, and even more so than recently when the boot switch was playing up, anyway I have the grey plug behind the boot carpet, and I have reverse sensors and also mine is a facelift too, anyway I was in my local breakers and came a across a 15 plate Mk3.5 Titanium X, lots of goodies on it power fold etc etc, anyway it had a major front end shunt, so the rear was okay to had a look at, an low and behold a reversing camera, so out came the tools and I stripped out the wiring loom and the god awful boot switch/camera assembly, got back home tested the camera loom by plugging in to that grey plug and plugged in Forscan.

Changed * in the block from 9 to B

7D0-01-01 xBxx-xxxx-xxxx

And hey presto a fully working camera!!

All for £30

Sorry for the long story, but that was my story..

Many thanks, I will install it tomorrow. I bought it on amazon, I hope I will not have problems... the camera is HD, i hope this will not create problems, I bet the SYNC2 is not HD, jejeje

Link to your camera?

HD is absolutely fine, you won't have a problem with that, needs to be NTSC format and not PAL though.

You won't get the dynamic steering lines though. Out of curiosity@KevG did you get them working with the OEM camera you fitted?

55 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Thank you very much, I'll give them a call tomorrow emoji106.png need to check the 2017 STline is the same rear cluster. Don't think they are different though

They are the same, LED on yours?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Link to your camera?

HD is absolutely fine, you won't have a problem with that, needs to be NTSC format and not PAL though.

You won't get the dynamic steering lines though. Out of curiosity@KevG did you get them working with the OEM camera you fitted?

I can see them, havent seen them moving however I didnt move the steering wheel.

Yeah, they are LED

Just now, Jonro2009 said:

Yeah, they are LED

They are LED too in the one in the breakers

I will give them a bell tomorrow because I’d like to see if I can get the footwell lighting too.

12 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Link to your camera?

Uhmm, I didn't receive the camera yet, but, before installing I decided to test the compatibility with the SYNC2. I've just change on Forscan the option from NO rear camera to EUROPE rear camera, perhaps this is not correct, because the European mode is PAL instead NTSC, so I have to change to American. Anyway, Now I have the options for camera configuration on the SYNC2 setup menu, but, when I put gear on reverse I don't have a black screen or an error message for no camera, so I suposse it's not working.

@KevG said he changed 7D0-01-01 xBxx (from 9 to B) but I think I'm doing something wrong because I have the characters 7D0-01-01 0D6C (I don't have 9 or B) so I confused. Perhaps, as my SYNC2 is a retrofit from SYNC1... On the DTC I'm having an error that I cannot remove, regarding the APIM unit (Incomplatible Module... so I don't know if this is creating the problem to have a reverse camera or not...)

I have a question... this value for reverse camera has to be changed on the APIM AsBuilt configuration or just in the APIM??

I will check now with focccus to see what can I do.

TIA

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club