Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Puncture

eddiek

Wife just back from a trip the other day with the tyre pressure warning flashing up on dash.  On close inspection found the culprit.  See pic.  New tyre required and its only done 8K. Never seen a nail do that in all the years i`ve been in motor trade.

20191003_084812.jpg

20191003_084825.jpg

A number of years ago I had a Renault 25 which got a similar puncture on a motorway except it was a 6 inch long 3/4 inch thick bolt, which not only punctured the tyre, it went straight through the underside of the wheel rim too. New tyre and new wheel. It’s all down to the angle of strike and pot luck. 

Similar thing happened to my Dads Mondeo a few years ago...not sure if the screw immediately punctured the sidewall or if it slowly deflated over night and punctured it!  Either way, silly expensive tyres on the Mk3 Ghia X!

217865731_puncture1.thumb.jpg.ec2ff8bfb80913205c65b41ff22fbcb8.jpg

2003780607_punture2.thumb.jpg.57a7c09ed4d358f236624f53802d5fb2.jpg

Why do they always seem to go through the side wall where they cannot be repaired.

It’s called driving in the gutter. Roads have cambers so debris falls to the sides when flicked by cars or when washed by rain. If you drive close to the gutter, you are far more likely to pick up screws and the like, than if you stick to the centre of your lane, well away from the sides. And so the side walls get it. 

Nice theory but not the case with mine.  It was o/side rear wheel on the inner edge of the tyre tread which got the nail.  ??

1 hour ago, eddiek said:

Nice theory but not the case with mine.  It was o/side rear wheel on the inner edge of the tyre tread which got the nail.  ??

Was drivers side of Dads as well.

It's just Murphys law!

Picked up a new caravan a couple of weeks ago, only did 60 miles from the dealer and the next day when it was sat on the drive I noticed one tyre was flat with a screw in it! Brand new tyre ... 60 miles ... no previous owner!! Cost me £85 before it had actually gone anywhere. Not happy. The (building trade) crap that I find at the edge of the road when taking my dog for a walk is shocking.

Not had a puncture in the Edge yet ... but just had 4 new tyres fitted so I'd better not jinx it!

40 minutes ago, simonb65 said:

Not had a puncture in the Edge yet ... but just had 4 new tyres fitted so I'd better not jinx it!

You’ve gone and said it now 🥴. 🤞 

10 minutes ago, Edge of Reason said:

You’ve gone and said it now 🥴. 🤞 

Oh Bugger! :w00t:

I've been driving for 55 years and I've only had four punctures and each time it's been a new or nearly new tyre, I'm convinced it's the depth of tread that grips the screw.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club