Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vignale Tyre Noise

Midgeman

Picked up my new Vignale 5 Door last week and I reckon it is the worst car I have ever driven with regard to Tyre noise being transferred into the cabin.

Anyone else agree ? 

Anyone been able to solve the problem as it ruins an otherwise nice car.

Traded in my 5 year old Zetec S 1.6TDI and that was silent compared to the Vignale 

That's funny I think my Vignale is one of the quietest cars I've driven for tyre noise anyway. What tyres has yours got ?. Mine has Michelin pilot sport .

5 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

That's funny I think my Vignale is one of the quietest cars I've driven for tyre noise anyway. What tyres has yours got ?. Mine has Michelin pilot sport .

Mine  has Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

Perhaps the road surfaces in Yorkshire are smoother than round W Midland/Shropshire area

My Mk3.5 Focus has Michelin Premacy 4 all round, and almost new. Supposed to be a quiet tyre, but maybe not on the Focus?

The road noise is worse than any other car i've had. Quite embarrassing really, when I have passengers. Tyre roar as soon as you move off.

It's the only thing I don't like about the otherwise brilliant car. (oh the 10 speaker Sony stereo is also below par).

Will try some Michelin Cross Climates next year.

ps - the roads in Yorkshire are terrible as well.

pps -There's one stretch in Bradford (Midland road, where the football stadium is)... that is a new surface, super smooth road. And my Focus is TOTALLY SILENT on that stretch of road. It's spooky silent, like stealth mode. Zero engine, wind and tyre noise, even at speed. So I know the car and tyres can be quiet when they want to be.

• Like 1

Historically Michelin tyres have always been considered noisier than most although noise figures quoted in tyre tables dont seem to bear this out.But I still wouldn't have said my MK4 is noisier than any other recent car I've owned or driven with a variety of premium make tyres fitted. And yes the roads here in the Northern dales are pretty bad in places.

• Like 1

Vignale is supposed to have additional sound proofing over the "basic" models, including different glass.

I'd complain and have the car checked for miss-build if it's as noisey as you say.

Although, please bear in mind that the MK4 is a bit of a sales flop and TVM (Ford's product cost team)  have been let loose to try and save money, so they've probably costed it out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Vignale is supposed to have additional sound proofing over the "basic" models, including different glass.

I'd complain and have the car checked for miss-build if it's as noisey as you say.

Although, please bear in mind that the MK4 is a bit of a sales flop and TVM (Ford's product cost team)  have been let loose to try and save money, so they've probably costed it out.

I think you are correct about the penny pinching for instance my car only has one light in the boot area where before they had two must have saved them all of twenty quid (PATHETIC)

With regard to having the car checked for miss-build I would be relying on FORD to check there own workmanship so not sure that would work as I would probably just get into a war of words and to be honest life's to short.

11 hours ago, ShamusUK said:

There's one stretch in Bradford (Midland road, where the football stadium is)... that is a new surface, super smooth road.

No doubt they'll soon be along to dig it up. 😁

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mjt said:

No doubt they'll soon be along to dig it up. 😁

So true.

The main road where I live, was resurfaced last year. It really needed it. And I was so thankful when it was done.

One year later and just about every inch of the road has been dug up for one reason or another. It's now a complete mess again. Like a 4x4 obstacle course. Having said that, my Focus handles it better than my previous BMW and Volvo. Still annoying though.

I live near the rugby relief road where they seem to have used the world's noisiest tarmac.  Even a Rolls would struggle there 

27 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

I live near the rugby relief road where they seem to have used the world's noisiest tarmac.  Even a Rolls would struggle there 

A road near me made the local newspaper after the road was resurfaced ( properly with tarmac and not the chippings method. 

When you drove on the road( which I did every day) the road played a tune via the tyres. Real peculiar. Was like it for 12 months or more until it wore down a bit. Lots of people commented on it

Chris rea tune springs to mind as it was my road to work. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2019 at 6:11 PM, iantt said:

A road near me made the local newspaper after the road was resurfaced ( properly with tarmac and not the chippings method. 

When you drove on the road( which I did every day) the road played a tune via the tyres. Real peculiar. Was like it for 12 months or more until it wore down a bit. Lots of people commented on it

Chris rea tune springs to mind as it was my road to work. Lol

That will be SMA material which replaces the older method of HRA with pre coated chippings which was harder wearing. You will get better grip on the newly laid surface after 6 to 12 months as its designed to increase grip as traffic wears away the mastic fibres hence why you now see the slippery road signs put up when a newly laid road surface has been completed.

• 2 months later...

I have a Focus Vignale for few weeks now and it's like having two cars with regards of tyres noise in the cabin. 

Generally is very quiet and smooth but then on some bits of road it becomes very noisy. 

One example is coming from Stratford towards Coventry, at  the beginning of the dual carriage the noise kicks in strong. 

Surely it has to do with the road mixture as on other roads is very very quiet. 

I've noticed this too with my stline x, on Michelins.  They are REALLY sensitive to the tarmac.  On the modern tarmac they are quiet but get on some older stuff and the noise is considerable.

• Like 1

Strange this should pop up, was talking to a new owner of a blue Fiesta Vignale, he had a previous Titanium X and loved everything about it, he loves the Vignale for it's ''looks'' but he now hates it compared to his older X version and he now calls it a 'Vigina' because it's like a woman and never shuts up making noises & creaks....lol

• Haha 1