Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta MK8 ST line conversion to led kit

matteo10

Hi Everyone,

Fall is coming also in Italy, days are gettin shorter and the alogen lights, standard on my Fiesta ST Line MK8, are not enough to light up the road.

Did someone converted his 100% alogen lights to LED with some aftermarket options? Could you kindly tell me more about the conversion ( which kit, if it was a DYI etc etc).

Sadly my car, as I already stated, was a demo unit from Ford Italy, since 125hp and 140hp are not imported anymore in Italy, and it came with the standard lights ( No LED at all).

Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, matteo10 said:

Hi Everyone,

Fall is coming also in Italy, days are gettin shorter and the alogen lights, standard on my Fiesta ST Line MK8, are not enough to light up the road.

Did someone converted his 100% alogen lights to LED with some aftermarket options? Could you kindly tell me more about the conversion ( which kit, if it was a DYI etc etc).

Sadly my car, as I already stated, was a demo unit from Ford Italy, since 125hp and 140hp are not imported anymore in Italy, and it came with the standard lights ( No LED at all).

Thanks in advance!

Autobeam and CEUK do h7 led conversions that fit the MK8 as pretty much a plug and play.

tried both - personally don’t recommend it and would stick some good halogen bulbs in. 

The Autobeam ones were a little bit rubbish quality. The plastic casing broke and one of the bulbs went within 5 minutes of being fitted. 

CEUK ones are better quality but offered a very average beam pattern. Their rubber caps are in my opinion rubbish - they do not fit properly at all and you will end up with moisture in your light. Even with a standard halogen in, their caps don’t form a tight seal and with an LED bulb and the fan sticking out, they near enough to hang on the bulb and there are massive gaps and moisture to get into the light unit with. 

So what have I done? Bought a set of decent Osram bulbs - Nightbreaker Laser h1’s for the high beam and Osram cool blue for the h7. Vision on offer is more than good. 

Just now, DG97 said:

Autobeam and CEUK do h7 led conversions that fit the MK8 as pretty much a plug and play.

tried both - personally don’t recommend it and would stick some good halogen bulbs in. 

The Autobeam ones were a little bit rubbish quality. The plastic casing broke and one of the bulbs went within 5 minutes of being fitted. 

CEUK ones are better quality but offered a very average beam pattern. Their rubber caps are in my opinion rubbish - they do not fit properly at all and you will end up with moisture in your light. Even with a standard halogen in, their caps don’t form a tight seal and with an LED bulb and the fan sticking out, they near enough to hang on the bulb and there are massive gaps and moisture to get into the light unit with. 

So what have I done? Bought a set of decent Osram bulbs - Nightbreaker Laser h1’s for the high beam and Osram cool blue for the h7. Vision on offer is more than good. 

Thanks for your reply! Do you have some pics please?

1 hour ago, matteo10 said:

Thanks for your reply! Do you have some pics please?

+1 , would be good to see any pics if you have any @DG97, been thinking of doing this change for a while now

Edit: also, what made you go for cool blue as opposed to the standard? Purely for looks? This is what I'm thinking but most of the time, the visibility needed will be from side lights rather than full beam.

I put in the CEUK LED Bulbs and the beam pattern is the same as stock for me.  I marked it on my wall before and after and it didn't change at all.

I agree that the rubber caps are pretty crap, I just threw a cable tie around it with a thin smear of some grease that's compatible with electronics and I've had no moisture build up at all so far.  The colour and brightness is really good I think, but I'd imagine that the Osram Nightbreakers would be very similar overall so it just depends what you fancy.  :)

I’ll try and throw some pictures in at the weekend!

And I can do the same if you’re interested. Just let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Daggerit yes, pictures will be appreciated thanks!

Are the FULL LED lights avalaible as option in UK? In Italy they were avalaible as option until january 2019, now you can get them only on the ST for 750 euro.

Better get them as standard when you order the car, to avoid this hassle to get a bright beam!

11 hours ago, matteo10 said:

@Daggerit yes, pictures will be appreciated thanks!

Are the FULL LED lights avalaible as option in UK? In Italy they were avalaible as option until january 2019, now you can get them only on the ST for 750 euro.

Better get them as standard when you order the car, to avoid this hassle to get a bright beam!

No problem, I'll get a couple photos, hopefully tonight.

Yes the LED's are an option in the UK but I didn't spec my car, I took one that was arriving with the dealer in a short timeframe as I needed a new car.  Having had LED lights on a couple cars before this one it's definitely something that I would've optioned had I done my own order.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:09 PM, DG97 said:

So, as far as I understood, these lights are H7 for daylight/low lights  and H1 for high beams, right?

On amazon I'm reading about headlamps becoming hot because the original ones were on 55W and the Osram are on 80W.

that's  an issue also for you?

3 hours ago, matteo10 said:

So, as far as I understood, these lights are H7 for daylight/low lights  and H1 for high beams, right?

On Amazon I'm reading about headlamps becoming hot because the original ones were on 55W and the Osram are on 80W.

that's  an issue also for you?

Yes that’s correct, h7 for dipped beam and h1 for high beam. With the Osram bulbs I’ve had no issues regarding heat. Simple plug and play, no heat or burn out noticed and the beam is good and consistent. Personally the only reason I would see to fit LEDs is for aesthetics. A good H7 halogen is just as fine in terms of distance and brightness as an LED when I played around with both.

Thanks for the info @DG97, pending your images, I think I've made up my mind on the Osrams. Funnily enough, I took out my bulbs to check how I'd install once I order the new bulbs, and the stock bulbs are made by Osram Germany!! They must be wholesale bulbs or something along those lines as they are terrible.

What made you go for blue on the side beam?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEVSR2 said:

Thanks for the info @DG97, pending your images, I think I've made up my mind on the Osrams. Funnily enough, I took out my bulbs to check how I'd install once I order the new bulbs, and the stock bulbs are made by Osram Germany!! They must be wholesale bulbs or something along those lines as they are terrible.

What made you go for blue on the side beam?

Another upside of the halogens in the Fiesta is the easy access, it takes me about 5 minutes to change the dipped beam which is a nice change from some other cars. I went for the cool blue intense dipped beam because I hoped the light would be whiter and it sort of is. When you look at the projector, you’re in no doubt that the light being output is yellow but I was driving on a dark dual carriage way a few nights ago and someone next to me had standard halogens which were really yellow on the ground but the cool blue does have a white-ish shade. Would i get them again? Possibly but would want to try the night breaker h7s first. I didn’t get the night breakers in the first place as i’d read that whilst good, the bulbs blow quite quickly and as they’re not cheap, I thought to try something that seems to have a little bit more of promised life span. I went for Nightbreakers for the high beam as I only use that in the dark when you want max vision which the Nightbreakers promise and definitely deliver. The light range and brightness of the high beam is really impressive. Their lifespan is less of a concern on a high beam as I use them quite rarely for it to have an impact. 

Another thing i remember about the ceuk bulbs is just how loud the fan is. With the engine off, there is a very noticeable humming noise coming from the front when the lights are on and it’s the fan - for such a small fan made of plastic I was really surprised just how loud it was. 

This picture is the CEUk LED Bulbs. Obviously the right hand side bulb must have had an issue as the beam pattern isn’t exactly great but you can get an impression of the colour and range of the led bulb

8C9124F7-CD00-42D3-9028-40C6772920C9.jpeg

And this is the Osram Cool Blue. Picture was taken in pretty much the same spot as the LED bulb shot. You can see the light is more yellow but aside from that, the range and brightness in my opinion is the same. Certainly cannot see a meaningful difference. Which is why I have settled on halogens and why I feel that going to LEDs is just an aesthetic preference

E0ECF8A2-6E79-4AA4-86E5-1EC9A5A231AA.jpeg

I agree that the LEDs are mainly for the looks. They’re very good I think, and haven’t heard the fans running as I’m in the car if I’m using them, and the engine definitely more than drowns them out too I’d imagine?

My beam pattern is much better than in your first photo but I don’t think you gain much using them over decent halogen bulbs. They do look good though I think, and the light is extremely bringer overall. [emoji4]

In terms of photos, is there anything specifically that you want to see of them apart from maybe the colour next to the DRLs?

5 minutes ago, Daggerit said:

I agree that the LEDs are mainly for the looks. They’re very good I think, and haven’t heard the fans running as I’m in the car if I’m using them, and the engine definitely more than drowns them out too I’d imagine?

My beam pattern is much better than in your first photo but I don’t think you gain much using them over decent halogen bulbs. They do look good though I think, and the light is extremely bringer overall. emoji4.png

In terms of photos, is there anything specifically that you want to see of them apart from maybe the colour next to the DRLs?

I agree that the engine drowns out the fans but when inside the car with the doors shut, I could hear the fans running if the lights were on and the engine was off. It wasn’t a nasty noise but just a quickly spinning fan. They definitely look good especially in the dark with the MK8 DRL, the aesthetics are definitely the one reason I’m gutted to not be running the LED Bulbs but in terms of actual light output and road illumination, i’d say good halogen bulbs do the same job. I still have the LED Bulbs so maybe in the future i’ll give them another shot...

• Like 1

I agree that the engine drowns out the fans but when inside the car with the doors shut, I could hear the fans running if the lights were on and the engine was off. It wasn’t a nasty noise but just a quickly spinning fan. They definitely look good especially in the dark with the MK8 DRL, the aesthetics are definitely the one reason I’m gutted to not be running the LED bulbs but in terms of actual light output and road illumination, i’d say good halogen bulbs do the same job. I still have the LED bulbs so maybe in the future i’ll give them another shot...

That’s fair enough, I can’t comment though as I’ve not done that. Maybe try later! Lol.

Got Osram Nightbreaker today (dipped beams), just mounted! Only tested it a few minutes in my garage, compared to the original one I have more side lights for sure.

Lights is a bit more white, I'll tell you more tomorrow.

I'll get the high beams/position in the next days, to complete my upgrade

EDIT: Did anyone also replaced the indicator lights with something different?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2019 at 10:03 PM, matteo10 said:

Got Osram Nightbreaker today (dipped beams), just mounted! Only tested it a few minutes in my garage, compared to the original one I have more side lights for sure.

Lights is a bit more white, I'll tell you more tomorrow.

I'll get the high beams/position in the next days, to complete my upgrade

EDIT: Did anyone also replaced the indicator lights with something different?

Got high beams OSRAM light today, tried to mount them this evening and then I found my Fiesta has H15 lamps as high beams! Is it normal??