Do Not Sell My Personal Information

125 and 140hp, what's your MPG?

matteo10

Hi everyone,

got a ST Line Mk8 125hp petrol last march with almost 12k km, being driven for 8k km since then.

I'm averaging between 15-16 km per liter, 90% I'm in eco mode following speed limits but in some flowing way, the other 10% is Pedal to Metal basically.

Not that consumption is wrong, but due to the smallest size of the tank, a complete fill up last me around 500-550 km, not more ( First fill up was 470 km before having the orange light coming up)

Commute is between town driving, 4x7 km each every day. I'm sure that this kind of commute doesn't help MPG at all..

Let me know, I'm curious!

1 minute ago, matteo10 said:

Hi everyone,

got a ST Line Mk8 125hp petrol last march with almost 12k km, being driven for 8k km since then.

I'm averaging between 15-16 km per liter, 90% I'm in eco mode following speed limits but in some flowing way, the other 10% is Pedal to Metal basically.

Not that consumption is wrong, but due to the smallest size of the tank, a complete fill up last me around 500-550 km, not more ( First fill up was 470 km before having the orange light coming up)

Commute is between town driving, 4x7 km each every day. I'm sure that this kind of commute doesn't help MPG at all..

Let me know, I'm curious!

Fuel tank is very small as only about 40-42 litres. I too am disappointed by the range as after 295-300 miles, I have to look for a petrol station in my normal driving conditions. Indicated mpg is usually 38.5 to 39.5 mpg.

3 hours ago, DG97 said:

Fuel tank is very small as only about 40-42 litres. I too am disappointed by the range as after 295-300 miles, I have to look for a petrol station in my normal driving conditions. Indicated mpg is usually 38.5 to 39.5 mpg.

I get these figures out of my 1.6 TI-VCT! :blink:

Just got my MK 8 ST line 140 today. Not run in yet but got 45 mpg on first trip out doing a mix of A/B roads and a bit of motorway at an indicated 75mph.

which is about 16km / litre. I'm guessing I'll be getting about 50mpg once it's loosened up a bit and I have got used to the gearbox, keep forgetting I've got a 6th gear.

My previous MK 7 140 was doing about 52mpg on my 64 mile daily commute.

My 125ps MK8 is 2 years old and has 14000 miles on the clock. 

I get 42mpg around town and 58mpg on purely motorway. 

Driven in a normal manner. 

9 hours ago, Nick_T said:

Tbf my daily commute is a 15 mile journey each way - either in traffic or in an area full of hills. Those conditions certainly don’t help with getting anything more 

Just now, Blatto said:

Just got my MK 8 ST line 140 today. Not run in yet but got 45 mpg on first trip out doing a mix of A/B roads and a bit of motorway at an indicated 75mph.

which is about 16km / litre. I'm guessing I'll be getting about 50mpg once it's loosened up a bit and I have got used to the gearbox, keep forgetting I've got a 6th gear.

My previous MK 7 140 was doing about 52mpg on my 64 mile daily commute.

So basically no big differences between 140 and 125, rather, maybe the 140 is also less thirsty than the 125?

Mine is 45 mpg highway and some city (Fiesta 125bhp, 2014 model).

On 10/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, Nick_T said:

Ill second that,might be very slightly lower being very local driving  like 37 or so but yes i also have a 1.6 Ti-VCT.

The ecoboost is better but not by a lot if the MPG is worked out right and not dreaming numbers,i know a few with the 125bhp eco and im not that far off.

22 hours ago, matteo10 said:

So basically no big differences between 140 and 125, rather, maybe the 140 is also less thirsty than the 125?

I'm not sure about the differences between the 140 and 125 BHP variants. On the MK7 the 100 & 125 versions had much longer gearing than the 140 version but I'm not sure if that's true with the MK8. A lot of it has to do with the type of journeys you do and how you drive. If I can get a consistent 50mpg on my daily commute with the MK8 I'll be happy.

5 minutes ago, Blatto said:

. On the MK7 the 100 & 125 versions had much longer gearing than the 140 version but I'm not sure if that's true with the MK8. 

Yes, the 140 still has the lower final drive compared to the 100/125. 

You'd think it would be other way round, the 140 could run at a lower rpm in gear than the 100

regarding the fuel tank , when I took mine from the showroom the gauge was resting at zero, and also ( 0 distance to empty ) but it was ON and running , so there is still some fuel in the tank, I drove it for about 1 km to the nearest fuel station, when I topped up it took 44 litres ?!! so I'm curious how big is exactly the fuel tank ?

12 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

You'd think it would be other way round, the 140 could run at a lower rpm in gear than the 100

I get the impression they pitched the 140 as the sportier option and geared it for better acceleration. Probably just carried it over from the Red and black editions which had the 140 PS engine.

12 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

regarding the fuel tank , when I took mine from the showroom the gauge was resting at zero, and also ( 0 distance to empty ) but it was ON and running , so there is still some fuel in the tank, I drove it for about 1 km to the nearest fuel station, when I topped up it took 44 litres ?!! so I'm curious how big is exactly the fuel tank ?

My owners manual says 42 litres, but also says there is an undisclosed reserve amount. I nearly got caught out about a year back driving in an unfamiliar and remote part of Scotland.

With about 50 miles to empty shown on the dash (yes I know I should have done it earlier but was distracted by the spectacular scenery) I googled the nearest petrol station which was about 30 miles away, but being a very hilly part of the country my mpg was much lower. With 10 miles to go to the station it showed as 0 miles. Got to the station ok to find they had no petrol only diesel as their delivery lorry had broken down. The next nearest station was another 15 miles away. Got to the next station ok  so had done at least 25 miles with dash showing empty and probably only doing about 30mpg as most of the road was 1st and 2nd gear hills. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get at least 47 litres in if you brim it from empty.

• Like 2

When I was looking at Forscan, the default fuel tank size set is 40 litres so I believe range etc will be worked out according to that value. So my guess is that anything extra is an unaccounted bonus. Manual states 42 litres as already mentioned but I’ve had cases where I’ve had some fuel still and got 41-42 litres in so I wonder if the true capacity is closer to 45

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blatto said:

My owners manual says 42 litres, but also says there is an undisclosed reserve amount. I nearly got caught out about a year back driving in an unfamiliar and remote part of Scotland.

With about 50 miles to empty shown on the dash (yes I know I should have done it earlier but was distracted by the spectacular scenery) I googled the nearest petrol station which was about 30 miles away, but being a very hilly part of the country my mpg was much lower. With 10 miles to go to the station it showed as 0 miles. Got to the station ok to find they had no petrol only diesel as their delivery lorry had broken down. The next nearest station was another 15 miles away. Got to the next station ok  so had done at least 25 miles with dash showing empty and probably only doing about 30mpg as most of the road was 1st and 2nd gear hills. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get at least 47 litres in if you brim it from empty.

that's great , and when you got to the station to refuel after driving for about 25 miles with the display showing 0 to empty , do you remember how much it took in to top up at that time ? would be very interesting if you tell us 🙂 

@DG97 I think so also 🙂 

I'm not sure I just filled it until it clicked all I do know is it cost me £52 but I'm not sure what the price per litre was at that time and location. I have a vague memory of it being about £1.17/Litre, if that's correct then it took about 44 litres + whatever was still left in the tank, though I doubt that could've been much, so 45 litres would seem like a good bet for capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2010 1.4 tdci after ~1000 miles (lets say around 80% city drive) doing 53mpg combined. Checked by 2 full tank fills and dashboard showing same. Ofc, Im not racer, very calm driving style.

Anyway, pretty much happy :)

36 minutes ago, audrius_uk said:

My 2010 1.4 tdci after ~1000 miles (lets say around 80% city drive) doing 53mpg combined.

That sounds pretty good for mainly City driving. 👍

My 140HP Mk7.5 gives 38mpg in local driving. I'm always at the very bottom end of any mpg range as I use the performance. Computer is always 11% out over-estimating it. Previous computer in a Civic was spot on.

On my mk8 140 st line x, im currently averaging around 40.6 mpg (combined), i have around 650 miles on the clock and i have started to use the performance a bit more. Hoping this figure will go up though when the engine is fully bedded in. I used to have an ecoboost 100 ps, which i could average around 48 mpg (combined)

My 140 is currently averaging about 45mpg. No motorways and little town driving. 

2200miles on the clock now

30 minutes ago, Piston Head said:

My 140 is currently averaging about 45mpg. No motorways and little town driving. 

2200miles on the clock now

Out of curiosity, what fuel do you use?. I seem to get slightly better economy from texaco's normal fuel than i do when using the supermarket fuel. I think i will try shells fuel save petrol when i need to fuel up to see if that helps.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club