Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus losing tyre pressure

Thatch02

Hi guys. My brother has a 2015 focus. Been tortured with tyres going down all the time. He's had tyres sealed, new tyres but still has to pump tyres every 2 weeks. Ford replaced the valves...but after 2 months its happening again. Question is my girlfriend is buying a 2017 model focus, it too has the tyre pressure system. Is the problem fixed in this model? Can you replace the valves with ordinary valves and put out the light on the dash with a computer? Thanks in advance

Pressure drop could be corroded wheels.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Thatch02 said:

Can you replace the valves with ordinary valves and put out the light on the dash with a computer?

Afaik TPMS is a legal requirement on cars of that age so removing the sensors would be illegal and probably an MOT fail.

• Like 2

I've seen plenty of alloys that crack on the inner barrel.  If tyres are sealed properly and valves are good a hairline crack can be another cause for regular pressure drop.  As Pete said 'corrosion' plus sudden impact/shock via a nasty pot hole can easily cause a crack, happens more frequently with low profile tyres.  Sometimes these hairline cracks can be almost invisible, you really have to look hard sometimes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mjt said:

Afaik TPMS is a legal requirement on cars of that age so removing the sensors would be illegal and probably an MOT fail.

I was under the impression it could be dedicated sensors or done through the ABS system just like deflation detection on my old Focus 😁 My current 2016 car has TPMS through the ABS sensors - normal valves.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2015 1.0 ecoboost Focus and both rear tyres deflate slowly.

Local tyre company looked at one and diagnosed leaking from where the tyre valve exits the wheel.

The guy appeared to sand the hole down a little and refitted the tyre but its made no difference.

He reckoned this was down to corrosion and there is no fix.

Is that right?

A bit off topic I know, but for over 30 years I had issues with various alloy wheels losing pressure, and always had a weekly routine of 'topping up'. My current LX has steel wheels, and after 6 months of weekly checking, and not one single 'pound' of pressure lost, I've now given up checking! Whatever qualities old, fashioned cheap steel wheel have, they need to build them into posh alloys!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Whatever qualities old, fashioned cheap steel wheel have, they need to build them into posh alloys!

Too damn right, well said that man!!

I have a 2015 and the rear is a weekly event for me.. I know I need a new TPMS, a la:

SmartSelect_20191215-232227_Gallery.jpg

Washing up liquid and water in a squirt bottle and you can do the checks yourself nice and quickly if you don't trust you local or have time to swing by.

• Like 1

Wirey, looking at your pic, that's not where I figured to leak to be.

I thought it was the seat of the valve, where it exits the alloy?

18 minutes ago, riffler said:

Wirey, looking at your pic, that's not where I figured to leak to be.

I thought it was the seat of the valve, where it exits the alloy?

Same here; the front is the valve needle itself inside the barrel, this back one is exactly as pictured and the other front is a bit flaky as well, I'm wondering if I that one being by the alloy itself as you mentioned and to top it off and have a full house let's say a puncture in the other rear knowing my luck lately..!

But in seriousness theres a huge lump of rubbery stuff sealing the alloy and the valve where you mention, it's probably the stronger bit really. The valve stem where the bolts run are probably the weakest part as they have a type of thread lock 'gunk' that goes a little brittle over time with age and weathering. It shakes loose then and gets little micro gaps in where the air escapes.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:22 PM, WireyWhenWet said:

Too damn right, well said that man!!

I have a 2015 and the rear is a weekly event for me.. I know I need a new TPMS, a la:

SmartSelect_20191215-232227_Gallery.jpg

Washing up liquid and water in a squirt bottle and you can do the checks yourself nice and quickly if you don't trust you local or have time to swing by.

must be how badly tyre people fit / damages them when they swap a tyre, I have this design on a merc and it doesn't lose anything in 2 years at a time

• Like 1

I would be inclined to agree... Only really had problems since picking the car up and they'd just done the tyres not long ago, TPMS wasn't too happy on my first drive out from the dealership.

if you have real TPMS sensors always tell them before they start working on the tyres/wheels - half will look at you like an idiot - but they always take more care and they haven't smashed any up on a car or bike I've owned in 12 years

when I contrast that experience to my mate, they ALWAYS smash his up every time (been through 5 of them - each time at different garages)

• Thanks 1

I have a similar problem, one tyre looses pressure slowly while the other 3 hold up well.

No sign of a classic puncture.

It could be any one or all of the previously causes.

I had considered using some if the 'Instant Puncture Fix' stuff as provided by some car manufacturers instead of a spare wheel.

Looks as if it would work it's way into the cracked alloy or non-sealing bead and sealing the slow leak.

Is this a hair brained idea or a real possibility?

Your opinion would be appreciated.

Scania PBman.

I expect it will trash the sensor - by blocking the hole letting it read the pressure

I'd check the valve is actually tight in the stem, half the idiots at the tyre places never tighten them up

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ScaniaPBman said:

I had considered using some if the 'Instant Puncture Fix' stuff as provided by some car manufacturers instead of a spare wheel.

I successfully did this on my last car. That wheel was losing about 5 psi a week even after a tyre change, a few valve changes and a rim clean up, so it must have been the wheel that was the problem. That car did not have  a TPMS though.

I'm not recommending that anyone else does this, but it worked for more than a year until got rid of the car. For information I used a medium sized one on my large tyres and topped up the pressure because I figured that it would either work or not work whatever  amount was put in.  

• 1 month later...

I am having this same problem on my 2015 focus ST. I've had the valves done on all 4 wheels because they were bleeding air from the valve stem, I thought this might fix it but alas no, it seems they are still leaking somewhere else. 

I will add tho that I had a 64 plate focus that was just under 3 years old when I bought it and ford replaced all 4 alloy wheels under warranty. The mechanic told me they were corroded but didn't say where. He did say that ford alloys are made from cheap Chinese aluminium. Looks like I'll be replacing the wheels on my ST £££

14 hours ago, The 🐝 said:

Looks like I'll be replacing the wheels on my ST £££

Go retro, get some steel wheels, some trims you can replace on a whim at £20 for 4, and never worry about tyre pressures ever again!