Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync3 update to version 3.4

Tezza

https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/update-ford-sync-3-2-2-3-0-to-version-3-4-all-years-3-4-19200/

Done this and what a difference and its for all sync3 vehicles with or without nav with the latest update's installed 

Mod added note if you have GPS issues:

MODERATOR WARNING, IF UPGRADING FROM 3.0:

It's impossible to go back to 3.0 once you reformat using the tool which is used in this guide.

If you update you may not receive any further system or map updates from Ford and have to do all future updates manually by finding files and creating your own update packages from 3rd party guides.

The firmware on the APIM is also different to 3.2+, so you can't enable all features. You need to edit the config to enable things like radio logos, but other features just don't work without a reflash of the APIM.

We just want our members to be informed, if you chose to proceed at your own risk, fully understanding the implications.

• Like 3

Thanks for the files and tutorial!

I may well do this at the weekend.

What is the new theme? What are the noticeable differences with this build?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What's this all about then? I'm guessing it's not an official Ford release?

Thanks Tezza....

Do you know what's changed? That link doesn't say much, but does hint at a new theme. Would be nice if the Sync3 look and feel was updated a little, made a little prettier. The Home button could do with being bigger as well.

Me likey! I like your carbon wrap @Tezza!

I notice you have the climate repeater enabled. I don't suppose by some miracle this fixes the crossed over controls for rhd models?

That theme looks nicer than the GT one I've been forcing my system to use!

Its saying that I don;t have access to the reformat.lst file.  Any chance of you linking it here, Tezza?

2 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Me likey! I like your carbon wrap @Tezza!

I notice you have the climate repeater enabled. I don't suppose by some miracle this fixes the crossed over controls for rhd models?

That theme looks nicer than the GT one I've been forcing my system to use!

Its saying that I don;t have access to the reformat.lst file.  Any chance of you linking it here, Tezza?

Phill,

That's not my carbon lol its just a pic off net 

No not sorted the climate out as i don't think they will ever be a fix :(   i have send you a pm with a link to the reformat.lst

• Thanks 1

thanks for this.  Getting errors in the reformat file though - filenames don't seem to match.

did you have to change yours to match - for example, I don't have all the maps?

EDIT: ok, I've changed the reformat file to match, apart from the long strings of numbers, which the tutorial says to leave. Still missing file error. Going to make sure they match exactly and try again.

EDIT: Seems to have done it.  Perhaps they changed the tutorial since you downloaded the files, Tezza?

File names must match EXACTLY to those listed in reformat.lst.  Should have known, really.  This isnt my first sync update... 

For those following, if you downloaded just the files from the tutorial Tezza linked to above, your reformat.lst file needs to look like this:

APPS=5U5T-14G381-CD_1564401086000.tar.gz
VOICE=4U5T-14G391-DJ_1552513867000.tar.gz
VOICE_NAV=4U5T-14G422-BCC_1542828353000.tar.gz
GRACENOTES=4U5T-14G423-AA_123694.tar.gz
MAP=1U5T-14G421-BAE_1542902523000.tar.gz
MAP=1U5T-14G421-BCE_1542828353000.tar.gz
ENH_DAB=1U5T-14G658-AE_1553188025000.tar.gz

If you need to, open notepad (or a text editor), copy that into it, save as: 

reformat.lst <save as type: all files>

I have my first green bit of progress bar filled in! Updating apps package...

couple of minutes later and were onto extracting map package. 4 mins...

Extracting Voice package at around 8 mins...

Extracting Gracenotes at 12 mins

Updating Enhanced DAB at 13 mins

Update successful at 15 mins!!!

lets see what this does!

7 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

thanks for this.  Getting errors in the reformat file though - filenames don't seem to match.

did you have to change yours to match - for example, I don't have all the maps?

EDIT: ok, I've changed the reformat file to match, apart from the long strings of numbers, which the tutorial says to leave. Still missing file error. Going to make sure they match exactly and try again.

EDIT: Seems to have done it.  Perhaps they changed the tutorial since you downloaded the files, Tezza?

File names must match EXACTLY to those listed in reformat.lst.  Should have known, really.  This isnt my first sync update...🙄

I have my first green bit of progress bar filled in! Updating apps package...

couple of minutes later and were onto extracting map package.

Yes its been altered but i read it from the main Russian site  and i ad some help from someone who had done it before lol

Not long now for you mate , let me know what you think when its complete 

All done, around 15 mins.  No problems after sorting out the .lst file.

Nice theme, I like it!, also updated maps to F8 which is nice!  I will have a play and see whats new!

Thanks Tezza!!

EDIT:

• first thing I notice is that long press of the voice button bypasses SYNC and activates whatever phone assistant is enabled on your phone.  That is mega handy and a feature I've missed from SYNC 1.1!!!

• There is now a setting for automatic Summer Time

• There seems to be few POI choices, but the most important are still there.

• Now a high-occupancy lane option in nav, to make use of carpooling lane

• Find Parking Automatically option  - will search for parking as destination is approached

• Choice of 4 plain-ish backgrounds.  I like no. 3!

• Quite a bit more responsive, though returning back out of a menu takes a second or so.

• Tuning in an FM frequency, it doesnt autoseek after a long hold of the Tune button. 

• Much faster to change DAB regions

• USB playback controls are much faster - eg skipping tracks, as is via bluetooth.

Thats probably not everything as its raining and Im cold and I want to go in now, but its a massive improvement!!!

• Like 1

Phill,

I knew you would like it more so with you having more options on your car :)

I have just been playing and got the radio stations icon to work had to use UCDS as i can't get on with forscan lol

Radio stations icon?? You intrigue me Mr. Tezza...

I might have to get me a UCDS cable and software....

Looks like I might have to have a look in the APIM diagnostic screen for the raw text configuration. Lots of things have changed apparently!

Sticky please!!!

@Luke_Anderson you need to get on this one!

@Tezza Which files did you install then? I don't think I had a stations icon file and you said you installed extra maps?

Can you remember?

• Like 1

It should be noted this is a bit buggy in places, it is probably still a bit of a beta.

I tried it for a bit, but ended up going back to 3.3.

Well this looks exciting! Didn’t even know there was a 3.4! What’s the build number? I’m currently on 19149 

Just now, Luke_Anderson said:

Well this looks exciting! Didn’t even know there was a 3.4! What’s the build number? I’m currently on 19149 

Build numbers are different for each version (3.0, 3.3, 3.4), they only mean something in relation to their related major version.

So In the interest of simplicity what would be the idiots good to downloading and installing this update? 

Build number is 19200. 

Download the files from tezzas link, create a reformat.lst file from my post a few up if you can't get the one from that page (not allowed access error for me), split the files onto 2 usb sticks as per the tutorial in the link and Chuck them in the car!

Like a maps update really but quicker.

I’ll give it a whirl 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

It should be noted this is a bit buggy in places, it is probably still a bit of a beta.

I tried it for a bit, but ended up going back to 3.3.

Really? What sort of bugs have you come across?

Also, how did you revert? Might be helpful info here if others done get on with it, or a little more comforting to know it is reversible.

Searching addresses often crashes, it just doesn't return a result.

Some of the graphics/icons don't line up properly or are the wrong aspect ratio as we haven't found all the correct files publically (or Ford are still working on them), so it's a mix of 3.3 and 3.4.

It should be noted that if you are already on 3.3, the instructions in the OP are not necessary, you can just use the normal autoinstall.lst procedure and "update" to 3.4.

It should also be noted that if you are on 3.0 (or older) it is a one way procedure, once you use the reformat utility, you can't go back to 3.0, the oldest you can go back to is 3.3. I've no idea what will happen with the official Ford offered updates as you'll no longer be on the correct software branch or Map packages. You may have to manually update from then on, unless you ask a Ford dealer to wipe and reprogram your APIM to 3.0 with IDS.

You also need to use Forscan to modify your APIM config to enable DAB logos, if you want all the features of 3.3/3.4.

These utilities also bypass the usual checks, so you could end up loading a system on to hardware which has insufficient memory/storage.

• Thanks 1

Be trying this tonight, 

is calmscreen a forscan edit or just a new option in a menu. 

Thanks. Matt