Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blue smoke 1.6tdi 2009 focus

Ferrylad

I have a 2009 1.6tdci focus and I was leaving working going home and the fella behind me said there was blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, anyone know where I would start in finding out the issues 

Probably just a DPF regen and nothing to worry about.  Wait and see how often it happens.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Probably just a DPF regen and nothing to worry about.  Wait and see how often it happens.

Do the 2009s have dpfs?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferrylad said:

I have a 2009 1.6tdci focus and I was leaving working going home and the fella behind me said there was blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, anyone know where I would start in finding out the issues 

A common problem is a leaking injector which can cause blue smoke on start up because the injector seal is passing 24/7 it fills the cylinder when the engine is off; this then gets chucked when the engine is operating causing blue smoke, 

Of there are wires going to a small box which would be fitted to the side of the battery box then it has a dpf.

If theres no small box with two cables attached to the left side of the battery box then there is no dpf,

iMarkup_20191011_131201.thumb.jpg.1b51ef9c536a0a57f9e34a61997d14c1.jpg

Also how reliable in truth or how jealous in spite is this work mate likely to be? 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Micro said:

Do the 2009s have dpfs?

If it's a 110, definitely.  If it's a 90, possibly.  The 110s had DPFs as standard from 2004!! 😮  They changed from the useless Eolys DPF to the cDPF during 2009 and this is also when the 90's ended up getting them as well.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 9:05 AM, TomsFocus said:

If it's a 110, definitely.  If it's a 90, possibly.  The 110s had DPFs as standard from 2004!! 😮  They changed from the useless Eolys DPF to the cDPF during 2009 and this is also when the 90's ended up getting them as well.

Even more glad I didn't buy the diesel version of the Focus! (Granted the garage couldn't start it which didn't really sell it to me 😄)

• Haha 3

On 10/12/2019 at 9:05 AM, TomsFocus said:

My 2005 [ 55 reg ] 110 bhp definitely does not have a dpf. It was manufactured late July 2005 and registered on 28th September 2005. 

3 minutes ago, RJ414i said:

My 2005 [ 55 reg ] 110 bhp definitely does not have a dpf. It was manufactured late July 2005 and registered on 28th September 2005. 

Did you buy it new?  A previous owner probably removed it if not.  I'm yet to see a 110 without!

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Did you buy it new?  A previous owner probably removed it if not.  I'm yet to see a 110 without!

No not new. I bought it 10 years ago this month and it just passed it's mot 2 weeks ago. The log book shows it has a Euro 3 [2000] emissions and Ford Etis shows it has a Euro 3 emissions, so no funny business!

P.S. A man over the road had a 05 reg 1.6tdci 110 bhp that was also dpf free which he had bought from a Ford dealer in town. 

Edited by RJ414i
addition
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, RJ414i said:

No not new. I bought it 10 years ago this month and it just passed it's mot 2 weeks ago. The log book shows it has a Euro 3 [2000] emissions and Ford Etis shows it has a Euro 3 emissions, so no funny business!

P.S. A man over the road had a 05 reg 1.6tdci 110 bhp that was also dpf free which he had bought from a Ford dealer in town. 

Far enough, I stand corrected then!  Looks like Ford managed to get the Mk2 approved shortly before E4 came out, giving them an extra year (Jan 06) before they'd have to meet E4 standards on an already approved model.  So about half off 55 plate 110's (Jan-Mar 06) and everything after will have a DPF...looks like you and your neighbour got lucky! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Far enough, I stand corrected then!  Looks like Ford managed to get the Mk2 approved shortly before E4 came out, giving them an extra year (Jan 06) before they'd have to meet E4 standards on an already approved model.  So about half off 55 plate 110's (Jan-Mar 06) and everything after will have a DPF...looks like you and your neighbour got lucky! :biggrin: 

I think if mine had been manufactured about 6 weeks later it would have been a Euro 4, but yes not knowing anything about DPF's at the time i got off lightly.    

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Month later and I’m only replying now 😂 I haven’t noticed anything since with the blue smoke, I did notice a few mornings that the car would be sluggish in the and low on power, I serviced it yesterday And it seems to have sorted it. Thanks for all the replies 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club