Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car shaking like crazy

chris_h

Hi all

my 1.6 eco boost has started driving like crap.

the vehicle at about 60/70 mph can sometime start to shake through the pedals, steering well, body...

when this happens and i dab the brakes, the car shake get worse, like almost hopping. sometimes the vehicle pulls a little under braking.

and as if by some magic spell - it can vanish. I thought maybe the engine was moving, nope take it out of gear and absolutely no change. 

i can cruise happily and it wont happen, got to fast and hit the sweet spot and it can then persist as low as 40 mph...

I cant hear any obvious noise like a wheel bearing as i have a performance exhaust which will hide all sorts of obvious sounds!

i DID get new front discs and pads, so i cant see how this will be the cause of the problem. however i did change the discs and pads as they were absolutely ruined - one pad sheared off and was grinding on the old rotor for a little while before managing to limp her home...

any advice? bearings, wheel balance, ball joints? 

The intermittent-ness of it would rule out in my mind the obvious things but I'll suggest them anyway.

Please bear in mind that I am less mechanically minded than others here, but logically:

Warped discs, bad alignment, worn CV joint (if worse when cornering), knackered track rod end....etc.

All stuff you've no doubt thought of. 

First thing for me would be to jack up the car at the front and check for play in the front wheels. Then at least you could check the brakes while you're at it. 

Any lights on the dash? Flashing or otherwise? Thought is around the ABS wheel speed sensors and whether it's activating ESP/ABS inappropriately. Especially if then applying the brakes makes it worse.

Does it do it regardless of gear you're in and revs range? Does it still shake if you put the car into neutral / depress the clutch? (Be careful doing this at speed or with other cars around you).

as it gets worse i would guess it will become a permanent feature!

Nope no dash lights, system checks all ok, does it out of gear, with absolutely no change in the vibration levels (other than the car slowing down!)

as it gets worse i would guess it will become a permanent feature!

Nope no dash lights, system checks all ok, does it out of gear, with absolutely no change in the vibration levels (other than the car slowing down!)

With the car out of gear if you then stop does it go away?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club