Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mk8 Ecoboost 1.0 oil consumption

Eng_Ahmad1986
聽Share

Hello to all 馃檪

A friend mine has a mk8 1.0 ecoboost 100ps automatic just like mine, he has around 10k miles on the clock, he is continuously monitoring his oil consumption and he discovered that he lost around 0.3 litres in around 4.5 k miles , I've searched allover the internet for a clear statement from Ford regarding what can be considered ( normal ) oil consumption for the ecoboost 1.0, I found nothing, So I'd like to share this with you, how much is your oil consumption, and if any body know the official word from Ford about the oil consumption in that engine ? the dealer said to him that's its ok and within the normal limits, I don't know also that if his engine is still relatively new and would burn some oil until its completely run in , or he shouldn't have that amount of consumption. any help is greatly appreciated guys so he can take an action if something is wrong with his car, afterall he is still under warranty 馃檪 thank you very much for considering聽 馃檪

I've had my 2017 1ltr EcoBoost MK8 125 (manual) for a year and I check the oil constantly. I've not had to top it up once in between services so if it is using oil it's not discernable.聽

Mileage has gone from 7500 to 14000 during the last year.聽

• Like 1

Since my last oil change approximately 8500 miles ago, I haven鈥檛 noticed any major fuel consumption. If it has used anything, it鈥檚 drops at most.

• Like 2

I only do low mileage these days - only on 9,000 now at 20 months. I had an oil change at the 12 month check when the car had done 5,000 miles, so (perhaps unsurprisingly), like the other guys so far, have not seen any discernable use of oil.

• Like 1

I put about 0.25 litres of oil in my MK7 St-Line 140 but that was about two weeks after it's 2nd service . I think they may have under filled it a fraction during the oil/filter change. After that I covered about another 17,000 miles (and had a 3rd service ) checking it weekly and never put another drop in it.

The manual does say that you may get higher oil consumption during the run in period and reaches it's normal consumption at approximately 3000 miles.

I assume he's checking it after the car has cooled down and on level ground on each occasion?

• Like 1

thank you all , it appears from your responses that there shouldn't be any noticeable oil consumption , but it should be noted also that he doesn't have to top up either , but as you know , the length between the min and max marks on the dipstick equates to 1 litre, what he found is that after 4.5k miles since the last oil change he noticed that the level dropped from the max mark by around the third, so do you think this is normal , or there is something that needs to be checked ?

Imo 0.3 of a litre in 4.5k is slightly high but not unreasonable.聽 A lot of VAG group engines would have 0.5 per 5k as perfectly normal according to manufacturer.

It would be interesting to see what happens in the next 5k.聽 My wife's mk8 1.0 doesn't seem to have used much but all engines are different.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

聽 A lot of VAG group engines would have 0.5 per 5k as perfectly normal according to manufacturer.

Both the new Audi diesels I've had needed the full litre of oil (that they thoughtfully put in a smart bag in the boot) during the first 1,000 miles - but then never needed any more topping up between services.

• Like 1

I've done 21k miles since I bought the car and have never put any oil in inbetween services.

That was it yes, the initial 1000 mile I remember now.聽 Lots of complaints about it.

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

That was it yes, the initial 1000 mile I remember now.聽 Lots of complaints about it.

Same with my A3 before the Fiesta.聽 Had it from new and used about a litre... Was worried at first until I read its pretty normal.聽

Does everyone check theirs when it's stone cold, or after 10 mins like I'm sure I've read in the manual?聽

I tend to to do it cold as a baseline.聽 10 minutes after driving to Scotland leaves your oil a different temp than 10 mins after driving to the shops.

I'd not get too hung up about the oil.聽 Try to check it in the same conditions each time, but as long as it's in between the marks it's fine.

• Like 1

The manual says Check the oil level before starting the engine or switch the engine off and wait 10 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan.

Many manufacturers seem to quote 1 ltr per 1000 miles as 'reasonable', which I think is ridiculously high. For comparison, I had a diesel Mondeo which I bought at 13K miles and sold at 75K+, and during that time I don't think the oil level on the dipstick dropped by even a mm between changes. In fact, I can't remember any car I have owned in the last 20 years which has used oil to any significant degree.

My fiesta is due a service. 聽I Keep checking the oil. 聽Last service was 18 months ago and oil聽level still between min and max - about half way on indicator. 聽Engine seems does not use a聽large amount of oil. 聽Last service approx 11000 miles ago - currently has聽33000 mile on the clock.

11 hours ago, Jusitne said:

My fiesta is due a service. 聽I Keep checking the oil. 聽Last service was 18 months ago

Sounds like it's overdue a service by 6 months聽 if you have a 2016 Fiesta, I thought all models from that year were 12,500 miles or one year which ever is sooner. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

You are right - its overdue. 聽Will get it done in next couple weeks (only done 3,000 over last 6 months and I keep checking oil level which is fine). 聽

Unsure whether to take to main Ford dealer as聽when I called for price聽they offered a reduced service saying some things in the major service I may not want to get done -聽very odd I thought! 聽

Going to book it into聽another Ford dealership聽for聽a major service聽as per Fords service schedule plus get brake fluid changed. 聽Major service includes changing spark plugs - thought spark plugs would last longer than 33K miles?

On my MK7 I had the brake fluid done at 2 years, think I'm a bit paranoid about brake fluid after an incident I had about 15 years ago.

Was going down a steep hill up in the Peak district and had a sudden loss of braking, managed to avoid going through a hedge by using the handbrake, but only just.

Turns out my brake fluid had absorbed a lot of water and the water had boiled under the pressure of braking on the hills causing steam bubbles in the fluid and almost total loss of braking. Luckily my handbrake was old school聽cable operated drums聽on the rear.聽

My 3rd service on the MK7 included Spark Plugs, not sure how necessary that actually is but it's part of the schedule and I had to get it done by the book as it was a lease car.

• 2 years later...

A friend of mine has the 1.6 eco boost focus and over last 2 days it鈥檚 had around 1.5 lots of oil put into it and it鈥檚 still not showing on the dipstick. Was serviced before he got it by main dealer feb last year, April had low oil pressure warning light went into dealer and filled up oil accordingly September same issue now again it鈥檚 saying the same. Different Ford dealer now saying put 4.6l oil in as it鈥檚 not showing on dipstick. It鈥檚 not leaking the oil and surley can鈥檛 be burning that much as it鈥檇 be smoking and there鈥檚 no smoke at all coming from it. Any ideas what it could be? I鈥檝e seen videos of eco boost engines with the oil all congealed up inside is that a common occurrence with the eco boost engines?

5 minutes ago, Basketcase86 said:

April had low oil pressure warning light went into dealer and filled up oil accordingly September same issue now again it鈥檚 saying the same. Different Ford dealer now saying put 4.6l oil in as it鈥檚 not showing on dipstick.

Time for a new engine

It鈥檚 luckily still under warranty till mid March but he doesn鈥檛 know anything about cars and I don鈥檛 really know how to go about telling them they need to put the ***** own oil in it as it鈥檚 clearly a fault and not trying to charge him 拢45 to do it but he also won鈥檛 say that to them. He鈥檚 got it booked back on Wednesday for them to check it with full oil so he鈥檚 getting the advised( where they got the figure from I have no idea) 4.6l put in tomorrow at the local very helpful and knowledgeable 1man run motor factor聽

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club