Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 focus

blackeagles

My Daughters partner recently bought a '57 focus and within a couple of weeks it went into 'limp mode'.  I checked the DTCs and it was showing DPF-excess soot (which changed to excess ash after a couple of weeks)  along with P242f, P0087, P0704 and a U that I did not record (some of these may be historic). I cancelled the DTCs using Forscan to see what was 'new' and they all (bar the U one) came back. I tried a Forced Regen but it failed at 11%.

I have had the DPF cleaned and fitted a new DPF pressure sensor and the injectors cleaned.  I also put 1 ltr of oil in the Eloys tank and used Forscan to tell the PCM it had been refilled (obviously not a complete refill) - but I do not know if I used the correct option as I'm new to Forscan. I tried a Forced Regen but it failed at 52%.

Focusing on the DPF codes, is there anything in Forscan I should be resetting other than clearing the DTC codes?

P0087- Low Fuel Rail pressure:  I am guessing it relates to a partially blocked fuel filter, or maybe a failed pressure switch  - yes? 

P0704 - Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction - again I am guessing it is the small switch down next to the clutch lever - yes?

Any suggestions on what and/or how to check, what to reset using Forscan and general comments welcome 'cos I'm now somewhat beyond my knowledge.

Try running the regen a couple more times.

Sounds like it's severely blocked up and needs a few passes to get clear.

Also i'd get a new fuel filter fitted for sure, they are a bit twitchy on Ford diesels.

It's strange thst Ford don't recommend a new filter at every service interval.

When I had a diesel I changed the filter every year.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi, I have had the DPF cleaned and on Forscan it shows only 3.4 kpa at tick-over going up to about 11kpa when reved to about 4500.

I'm wondering if I'm supposed to reset something in Forscan to let the PCM know it's been cleaned (I seem to remember there is something that shows the level of DPF blockage, maybe this needs resetting or even a 'learn' function) or do I just  clear the codes?

The differential pressure sensor is just a sensor so doesn't need resetting, it reads real time pressure.  If it's still reading that high then either the DPF wasn't cleaned properly or there's an issue with the pipes being blocked.  Was it sonically cleaned or just had something sprayed inside?

Once the DPF is clean and the pressure readings are low, you should reset the DPF learned values in Forscan.  But don't do that while the pressure readings are still so high.

With regards to the Eolys system, did you prime the system using Forscan, or just reset the level? 

21 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The differential pressure sensor is just a sensor so doesn't need resetting, it reads real time pressure.  If it's still reading that high then either the DPF wasn't cleaned properly or there's an issue with the pipes being blocked.  Was it sonically cleaned or just had something sprayed inside?

Once the DPF is clean and the pressure readings are low, you should reset the DPF learned values in Forscan.  But don't do that while the pressure readings are still so high.

With regards to the Eolys system, did you prime the system using Forscan, or just reset the level? 

Hi, I thought 3.4 was reasonably low (it will obviously clime higher with an increase in revs) but you are saying 11 at high revs is high?, it was cleaned with this foam stuff over about an hour, the pipes are clear.

I'm not very familiar with Forscan but I'm sure I used the 'level reset' option for the Eloys not the prime (but now I know there is another option I will use it) 

thanks

1 minute ago, blackeagles said:

Hi, I thought 3.4 was reasonably low (it will obviously clime higher with an increase in revs) but you are saying 11 at high revs is high?, it was cleaned with this foam stuff over about an hour, the pipes are clear.

I'm not very familiar with Forscan but I'm sure I used the 'level reset' option for the Eloys not the prime (but now I know there is another option I will use it) 

thanks

3.4 at idle is very high, it should be almost 0 on a clear DPF, and peak at around 5 when you hammer it down the motorway slip road under load, if that 11 is sat stationary and revving I dread to think what it'll be under load!  But now I realise it wasn't cleaned anyway, all the foam can do is break down a little soot.  But all of the ash will still be stuck in there hence the high readings.

Ash particles are too big to pass through the DPF core so it has to come back out the way it came in, there's no way to do that while it's still fitted to the car.  I'm afraid the only way to fix this is either to have it cleaned properly (removed from the car and sonically cleaned) or to replace it.  I chose to replace mine with a pattern part for about £180, but it only lasted about 3 months before the frequent regens started again as the old Eolys type DPF system just isn't effective for us low mileage users.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club