Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New car purchase

Bobr

Well new to me anyway.   I'm looking at buying a late 17 reg Fiesta Titanium Ecoboost automatic.   Just wondered if anyone can tell me of any problems to look for.   Am going automatic as I'm having problems with my left knee.   Thanks in advance.

Bob, would that be a very late Mk 7.5 (dual clutch) or very early Mk 8 (torque converter) you're looking at? - I have seen the odd Mk 8 on a 17 plate.

While I've no personal experience of auto Fiestas, friends had a Mk 7.5 for 3 years and now have had a Mk 8 for 2, very happy with both and had no issues with either box.

Found this review of the powershift dual clutch version: 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/fiesta/first-drives/ford-fiesta-ecoboost-powershift-first-drive-review

Two years ago I moved to auto for the same reason as you.

Got a 2011 Mk7 1.4 Titanium and absolutely love it. The whole driving experience of the auto gearbox and cruise control has made such a difference to my quality of life.

I was thinking about changing to something a bit newer this year but all the bad press about the Powershift models put me right off, so much so that I decided just to stick with what I have until it dies a natural death. It would seem that just after my year and model they changed to that dreadful gearbox option with all the problems associated.

Not related to the Auto but check the Sat Nav works (extended test over an hour if possible).  I've had a couple of MK8s, both 2017, with the GPS fault. 

Not the end of the world but you'd wanna factor that into negotiations. 

Thanks for your advice guys.   Its a 17 plate so it might be the earlier model but it has the 8 inch screen which might give a clue. According to the government web site for checking tax it was registered in March 2017.

1 hour ago, Bobr said:

it has the 8 inch screen which might give a clue. According to the government web site for checking tax it was registered in March 2017.

8" screen sounds like a Mk 8 then, Bob. There are quite a few video reviews of the Mk 8 auto on the web if you do a quick Google.

I have a 2015 Titanium Auto (bought last year) and I love it. It does shift pretty good, not as a good as an really experienced driver mind you and will the TCM will flub it up once in a while but after having my clutch pack replaced when I bought it (under warranty) it's been great. By far my favorite car I've owned. 

My mistake.   Went to look at the car this morning and it doesn't have the 8 inch screen.   I does have sat nav and a sports setting on the gearbox.   It looks exacly the samr as my present car apart from that.

I have a 2014 Mk7.5 with powershift. Once the TCM was updated it has had no problems. The DCTs are different to drive. There’s a few online sites showing the differences and how to get the best from them. I think the major complaint is from people who don’t realise they are difference from torque converter autos. 

• Like 1

Thanks David.   What does TCM stand for?

Also note that in Sports mode you are “requesting” the TCM to change gears. The TCM will only change gears if the request falls within a defined safe range for the gearbox (i.e. revs not too low or too high, etc). I’ve found it to be pretty failsafe, even if you forget to change up/down it will do it for you. 

It’s also apparently possible to fit paddle shifters, however I’m still researching that. 

Agreed with Tiexen, the Dual Clutch system when it fails, is super expensive to fix. If I hadn't gotten the extended warranty when I bought mine that would cost me almost 1600£ to have them fix it. It's a huge pain in the butt.

2 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

I think the major complaint is from people who don’t realise they are difference from torque converter autos. 

Probably so, I guess if you go straight from manual to one or the other without previous automatic experience you won't know the difference anyway, so not a problem.

I've never owned an auto so far (though driven a fair few of various types over the years) but may have to go that way in the future for similar reasons to Bob. I've generally found torque converters to be smoother, but dual clutch a bit snappier to drive, though the differences are getting blurred on more recent ones I've tried due to clever electronics etc, which unfortunately means either type is fiendishly complicated and potentially expensive to repair. 

Thanks for your replies guys.   I pretty happy with the deal I got as it includes 2 years warranty and the price is right.   I'm picking it up in the morning so I'll let you know how I get on with it.   I've driven 120 miles today and I'm pretty sure I'd be feeling a lot better If it had been in an auto.

Congratulations! Why are you torturing us and have not posted a picture yet? 😉

Lol Ron.   I haven't got it yet.   I'll post a photo tomorrow.😊

• Haha 2

There you go Ron.   Have driven the car about 20 miles and I must say that I am impressed with the gearbox.

DSCN3970.jpg

• Like 1

I can't see the picture bob, it's showing a broken link. 

I'm with you man, I really love mine as well.

I took it off as i'd forgotten to blank out the number plate.   However it's back on now.

I quite like the colour too.   Never had a red car before; all previous have been black or white apart from one that was green.

That's how I felt when I saw mine, it was different all my past cars have been neutral colors.