Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Few Problems

bigsi40

Hi,

This is my first post asking for help (be gentle).

I have just brought a Focus 1.8td 2000 and have a couple of problems i did get money knocked off because of them.

The first problem is the boot release button does not work thats the one on the dashbord, second problem the boot release button on the key fob don't work. Any surrgestions on why/ how to fix?

Secondly the lock button on the key fob is broken and i asked at the key cutters today how much to get a new one and was told just for the key with no buttons £55 :huh: to get an exact copy of the fob £110 :o . Is there a cheeper option? I hope there is as i only have the one key and sods law will state it will get lost some how.

Thanks for any help/advice

Bigsi40

The boot release on the dash in my mk1 focus doesnt work either. Key fob button works fine though. Not had chance to have a look at the dash switch yet, Does anyone know if it involves removeing that whole cluster section of the dash? Or can it be accessed by removing the piece of the dash on the right of the steering wheel (the bit that houses the drivers air vent, Headlight controls etc..)

To get behind where the button is, just remove the screws from the underside of the top of the binacle, then move the steering wheel to it's lowest position, lift up the rubber and undo the two screws from there. It should just pull out from there.

It's better if you have a short screwdriver for the top screws and a long one for the lower ones.

Hope that helps.

Mike

The boot release on the dash in my mk1 focus doesnt work either. Key fob button works fine though.

Same for my 1999 1.8 Zetec, all the time I had it.

After having a look at the key fob on the circuit board the button is broke so i was thinking there are cheep fobs on e-bay so what i was going to do is get one of them take the circuit board out put it in my fob. Will this work?

Thanks for the replys about the boot button it will give me something to do over the weekend.

Bigsi40

After having a look at the key fob on the circuit board the button is broke so i was thinking there are cheep fobs on e-bay so what i was going to do is get one of them take the circuit board out put it in my fob. Will this work?

Thanks for the replys about the boot button it will give me something to do over the weekend.

Bigsi40

No that won't work as the fob is individually programmed for the car. Are you sure you only have one key do you not have the standard key as well without the buttons but a blue marking? If not you will need to get a new key and get it programmed for the car it was £40 to buy and program an old Fiesta one but I was told to program Focus keys costs in excess of £100.

If you do have the other slimmer key with the blue marking it is the master and you can use it to reprogram a new key.

When I bought my Focus it came with just the 1 key (blue chip, No fob). I bought a blank blade and fob for about 30 quid off eBay, Paid Ford £14 roughly for them to cut the blank blade the same as my current key.

You can then program it to the central locking yourself, This will allow you to open all doors and the boot with the fob. However, To program the key to the immobiliser (To allow you to use the new key to start the engine) yourself you need to have 2 keys already programmed, As I only had the one the programming needs to be done by ford, They quoted me about 120 quid to have this done.

I'll leave it upto you to guess what I told them. I now just carry both keys, Use the fob to operate the central locking and the blue chip key to start the car.

No that won't work as the fob is individually programmed for the car. Are you sure you only have one key do you not have the standard key as well without the buttons but a blue marking? If not you will need to get a new key and get it programmed for the car it was £40 to buy and program an old Fiesta one but I was told to program Focus keys costs in excess of £100.

If you do have the other slimmer key with the blue marking it is the master and you can use it to reprogram a new key.

Yep unfortunatly only got one key, Thats a shame i thought it was just the glass bit that did the imobliser and was hoping the circuit board just did the central locking a long shot i know :) looks like there is no way around it but to stump up alot of cash.

Thanks,

bigsi40

Yep unfortunatly only got one key, Thats a shame i thought it was just the glass bit that did the imobliser and was hoping the circuit board just did the central locking a long shot i know :) looks like there is no way around it but to stump up alot of cash.

Thanks,

bigsi40

take glass chip out of old key put in new remote key

put key in car turn it to poss 1 to 2 four times you will here a chime press any button on remote

turn key off job done

Just got back from Ford asked about getting a new key and was told £150 and they would need the car for a day :huh: . I asked if he was serious and left. Went to a local locksmith a new key with no buttons but will work the imobiliser £65 thats much better. Then i'd have 2 keys the car will reconise then i can get a fob with buttons of eBay and programme that like it tells you in the owners book. Yes/no?

Its a bit of a shock when your used to old cars where you can get a new key for a few pounds :)

Bigsi40

Just got back from Ford asked about getting a new key and was told £150 and they would need the car for a day :huh: . I asked if he was serious and left. Went to a local locksmith a new key with no buttons but will work the imobiliser £65 thats much better. Then i'd have 2 keys the car will reconise then i can get a fob with buttons of ebay and programme that like it tells you in the owners book. Yes/no?

Its a bit of a shock when your used to old cars where you can get a new key for a few pounds :)

Bigsi40

yes but you need to put glass chip in it as well thats the imob----

If you have only a single key its advisable to get a second cut just in case you do something like locking the keys in the boot! :(

I got a key cut by a local locksmith for £8 including the blank that will open the doors.

If you have a faulty remote fob then you can get one quite cheaply off eBay. Remove your keyblade and you will see a number like 98AG15K601**

The last letters [**] can be AA, AB, AC or AD. I think that they are interchangeable but perhaps someone else can confirm that?

My two fobs are AC and AD and both work fine.

The problem then is removing the transponder chip from the old fob and putting it in the new one. Dont be tempted to use pliers as the glass chip is easily broken!

I solved this problem by using a opened out safety pin as follows:

Remove the keyblade with a small flat blade screwdriver in the slot of the fob.

Separate the two halves of the fob by unclipping the lugs.

The transponder chip is in the half with the battery held inside a rubber moulding.

GENTLY push the pin in at the back of the rubber [you can feel where the end of the chip is] and lever it back.

post-12721-126925734226_thumb.jpg

When the chip moves forward move the pin forward and repeat the process.

post-12721-126925724434_thumb.jpg

When there is enough chip protruding it can be pulled out with your fingers.

post-12721-126925726408_thumb.jpg

excellent post, and like I have said before a picture piants a thousand words. I wish more people would take the time out to post a picture of the problem or the fix.

Well done you, and welcome to the board.

catch

Thank you very much that was a great post like above pics are much easier to follow i was going to try to pull it out gently using long nose pliers :ph34r:

Thanks

Bigsi40

Glad to of been some help. I have seen some posts suggesting that you need to cut the chip out!

Getting the chip to move initially is the hardest bit but don't force it.

If it won't move perhaps a very small drop of WD40 or similar might help.

Roger

i just brought my focus and the key opens and locks the car fine but the remote buttons dont work so i replaced the battery in the key but that still hasnt made it work i only got 1 key with the car no master with blue or red chip bit please help???

Assuming your fob is not faulty try this:

1. Insert your key and turn it from position II to position 0 four times in 3 seconds.

2. A tone should sound and the red warning system LED above the clock will stay on continuously to indicate it is now possible to program keys.

3. Within the next 20 seconds press any button on key - a tone should sound as confirmation.

4. Switch ignition to position 2 OR wait for 10 seconds to elapse.

Try your fob buttons now....

Roger

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club