Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Are motor factors usually this cheap?

nitten_traveller

Some how, two of the three stop lamps on Mrs N's KA blew at the same time last week (centre one was OK) so I looked up replacements on Halfords website.  Two for £7.  Not too bad.  But I happened to pass a motor factor while I was out, never been before, so thought I'd just go there.  "There you go, sir, two bulbs that's 96p please"!

£7 to 96p. I don't know when last bought something which in total came to less than £1.  Are motor factors usually this cheap?

Can be, that bulb may be used on hundreds or thousands of cars so they hold a large stock bought in bulk. Might also be that they're wanting to clear a stock excess.

The brake bulbs on my Focus were the opposite, only used on the focus and a Saab. £7 a piece (£3 something on eBay).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I buy 380 and 382 bulbs from my local factors for less than £3 for 10 including the vat so yeah sounds perfectly reasonable. 

Lidl regularly sell Bulb Kits with 2 Headlamps and some of the smaller ones and they are dirt cheap also. The H7 Headlamp ones are nice and bright but don't last that long and some of the smaller ones may not be the same type for every car. I take them out and fill the plastic box with the ones I need. 

I have always found that when one bulb fails the same one on the other side normally fails within a few weeks.

Lidl regularly sell Bulb Kits with 2 Headlamps and some of the smaller ones and they are dirt cheap also. The H7 Headlamp ones are nice and bright but don't last that long and some of the smaller ones may not be the same type for every car. I take them out and fill the plastic box with the ones I need. 
I have always found that when one bulb fails the same one on the other side normally fails within a few weeks.
ECP have a good selection of bulbs, some fairly cheap but not as cheap as the OPs motor factor. I won't buy the cheapest headlight bulbs after a few times of being burnt by the false economy - Lucas or Osram are my personal favourites (standard bulb, not these "brighter" ones).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ECP didn't have the bulbs, it was basically just Halfords and maybe one other site.  They're a lot easier to get to than Halfords too (which is on a big and badly designed out of town retail park).  Sufficient to say though they've got my business for things like Wiper Blades and washer fluids from now on!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club