Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horn

BW17

2017 mk3 Focus , how do you get at the horn to replace it with a new one .

I'm interested in doing this too. I believe you need to remove the undertray to get at the horn. Are you wanting to put a dual tone horn in, do you have a link to the one you will use?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Also on my to do list.. Looking at the popular Hella options but unsure on the Supers vs Sharps or others.. Pretty sure the under tray needs to come off, theres a couple of vids on YT that offer up guidance- Unfortunately I can't get a good signal to be able to link you one at the moment!

On 10/16/2019 at 6:12 PM, Jonro2009 said:

I'm interested in doing this too. I believe you need to remove the undertray to get at the horn. Are you wanting to put a dual tone horn in, do you have a link to the one you will use?

hi,no just a louder one i have in garage anything would be better than the one thats on .......its a stupid bep/bep

hi.no just a louder one i have in garage anything would be better than the one thats on .......its a stupid bep/bep

23 hours ago, WireyWhenWet said:

Also on my to do list.. Looking at the popular Hella options but unsure on the Supers vs Sharps or others.. Pretty sure the under tray needs to come off, theres a couple of vids on YT that offer up guidance- Unfortunately I can't get a good signal to be able to link you one at the moment!

cheers thanks.

• Like 1

I haven't found a video on yt, if you find one could you let me know please.
@BW17 if you do this would you mind taking a few photos of the job and location of the horn please

• Like 1

You probably can see the horn by removing the drivers side headlight. But official removal is by removing the large undertray, then the the front undertray. 

Hey guys got a bit of signal.. May not be the best of guidance but regardless theres alot here to show the general stuff. Hope it helps!

Thanks @WireyWhenWet for the video, I plan to change my horn next weekend when my wife and little girl go away for the weekend [emoji16]

I’ve chosen this horn, after quite a lot of searching and thinking I might add lol. HELLA 3BB 922 000-731 Air Horn https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H8QON02/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_f9BUDbS7K7BTK

For anyone else who isn’t sure what type of horn to get then I’d recommend downloading the Hella Horn app - yes such a thing exists! It allows you to listen to the different types of horns to give you an idea of what the sound is like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

For anyone else who isn’t sure what type of horn to get then I’d recommend downloading the Hella Horn app - yes such a thing exists!

Not a worry at all and I totally forgot about that! Great shout. Hope the installation goes well 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Today I bit the bullet and decided to do the horn upgrade. It involved removing the bumper completely, I tried to access the horn from the fog light opening and from above by removing the headlight. Neither of these options worked.

I did it on my drive and didn't need to lift the car at all. I only undid the torx screws and removed the push pins from the very front of the underneath of the bumper, there is no need to go as far back as the airdam. I also undid the torx screws and pins from each wheel arch, the 10mm bolts were tricky to access but I only had to slightly loosen the one closest to the front of the car on each side and the bumper just pulled away.

I unplugged the horn and the existing wiring will stretch up to the crash bar so I taped it up there and replaced the bumper. Now I can do everything I need to via the space where the grill should be. I was losing light so had to stop at that point.

I did the wiring in the house afterwards and then took the horn out to the car, pulled the grill off and tested it. It is ***** loud!! Tomorrow I will drill into the crash bar and fit the horns properly [emoji846] to do all that only took about 90mins but that included trying other ways to get to the horn without removing the bumper. Putting it back on only took me 15mins.

ef3e446344979c3cf410ea71c3fc3826.jpg7a866ed29aa535d7dc849b51f5a76648.jpgfcb51ed270e2d973831b2beedfbf8f33.jpga8dfe037da8de6e05128635fa3aeccaf.jpg

All done now, working well. I was able to keep the original plug too so if I ever want to put the old horn back on it will be easy.

Here is the sound clip. The connections are all spade connections which have been covered with heat shrink sleeving, the wires themselves have been wrapped in felt tape and the old plug (which is still live) has been placed in the thumb of a rubber glove and taped up to stop it getting wet.

a699d67d3e6e70b30418ea987f4379a7.jpgaee5add46926b6d5c2affa356986597e.jpg

• Thanks 1

That's actually brilliant. Pretty much exactly what I want to do with the ST, just need to do a test run with the bumper to see if the under tray bit is the same or not as yours, I have a funny feeling it may be a little different but hey ho.  Did you go with sharp or supertone? And I know a video never does a sound justice, is it a lot better in terms of 'noticeability'?

1 hour ago, WireyWhenWet said:

That's actually brilliant. Pretty much exactly what I want to do with the ST, just need to do a test run with the bumper to see if the under tray bit is the same or not as yours, I have a funny feeling it may be a little different but hey ho.  Did you go with sharp or supertone? And I know a video never does a sound justice, is it a lot better in terms of 'noticeability'?

It may be different on ST mightn't is ☹️ as long as you have ramps though I think you will be fine. Luckily I didn't have to put mine on ramps which is good because my drive is on an incline sonit would have meant doing it on the road.

I went with the Sharp Tone, which is yellow. The Super Tone is red, which is widely used on the likes of Subaru apparently. I preferred the sound of the Sharp Tone horn, it is a little deeper and the sound is focused more towards the front, its the horns they use on emergency vehicles.

The video is pretty accurate for the tone but it does sound louder to the ear when you are stood at the car. Have you had a look on the Hella Horns app? It lets you listen to all the horns so you get an idea of the actual tone.

I can confirm that the ST bumper can be removed the way I did it, by just removing the pins and bolts at the front underneath the bumper.

• Thanks 1

Massively appreciated, great find! Was actually looking at that very snorkel as well not that long ago in all fairness!