Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Focus MK2.5 1.6 TDCI DPF Advice

Bongo2296

I bought my 2008 Focus MK2.5 1.6 TDCI halfway through last year, around Christmas it threw a engine malfunction warning caused by the Eolys fluid being completely gone and the DPF was clogged. I gave the car to the dealer to fix under warranty, I think they just refilled the fluid and I don't know what else was done if anything.

Fast forward to today and I've been reading some old threads here saying that if the DPF is too clogged it can damage the turbo. I also read something about DPF servicing at 75K miles, which I'm guessing it didn't have done if it ran out of fluid at 81K in my possession? I don't have a manual for the car so I don't have any details on this service that may or may not be a thing?

So I'm writing this to ask for advice. Does anything need doing? Is there a service that needs doing or making sure the DPF isn't clogged?

The Eolys type DPF was only designed to last 75k miles, that's the suggested replacement interval of the DPF itself. 

The Eolys fluid is meant to be topped up every 37.5k miles.

In reality, people only top up the fluid or replace the DPF when the car goes into limp mode now, though some may have stuck to those intervals when they were new.

The majority of Eolys DPFs don't last anywhere near the 75k on a low mileage car as it's such an ineffective system.  So chances are yours had already been replaced or cleaned at some point anyway.

There's no servicing to be done on the system other than topping up the fluid.

On a slightly different note, we recommend shorter oil & filter change intervals on this engine as it's known for carbon deposits.  Also keep on top of any leaking injectors as they cause other issues down the line.  And the fuel filters clog up sooner than their recommended interval too.  Having said all that, I owned a 2008 model for 3.5 years and had no issues apart from DPF related ones.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The Eolys type DPF was only designed to last 75k miles, that's the suggested replacement interval of the DPF itself. 

The Eolys fluid is meant to be topped up every 37.5k miles.

In reality, people only top up the fluid or replace the DPF when the car goes into limp mode now, though some may have stuck to those intervals when they were new.

The majority of Eolys DPFs don't last anywhere near the 75k on a low mileage car as it's such an ineffective system.  So chances are yours had already been replaced or cleaned at some point anyway.

There's no servicing to be done on the system other than topping up the fluid.

On a slightly different note, we recommend shorter oil & filter change intervals on this engine as it's known for carbon deposits.  Also keep on top of any leaking injectors as they cause other issues down the line.  And the fuel filters clog up sooner than their recommended interval too.  Having said all that, I owned a 2008 model for 3.5 years and had no issues apart from DPF related ones.

I didn't know about the oil thing, I'll change every 5k miles then. What are the official intervals for oil and filter and fuel filter etc? I don't have the manual and the manual section on Ford's website seems to be down. 

As for the DPF, since it's got new fluid just run it as it is and keep in mind I might need to buy a whole new DPF down the line? 

Official oil & filter is 12k, we recommend 6k.

Official fuel filter is 37.5k I think.  But if you notice any shuddering or get any low fuel pressure faults, blocked filter is usually the cause.  They're not cheap though at around £50 just for the filter!!

Yeah just run the DPF as it is now.  Keep an eye out for failed regens, you'll know it's failed because the engine fan runs on after switching the engine off.  It should regen next time you go out, but if you notice the fans on a few times in a row after parking that's a good sign something's wrong.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Official oil & filter is 12k, we recommend 6k.

Official fuel filter is 37.5k I think.  But if you notice any shuddering or get any low fuel pressure faults, blocked filter is usually the cause.  They're not cheap though at around £50 just for the filter!!

Yeah just run the DPF as it is now.  Keep an eye out for failed regens, you'll know it's failed because the engine fan runs on after switching the engine off.  It should regen next time you go out, but if you notice the fans on a few times in a row after parking that's a good sign something's wrong.

I've had the fans stay on a few times but not too recently, always wondered why that was. 

The shuddering though, when and how does it shudder? Mine is hesitant in second gear, I know most cars you can move off in second fairly easily but in mine it's hard to get going even when still rolling like at a island. It feels like it's shuddering and it just dosen't go at all until it gets almost up to the turbo power band. 

It's usually most noticeable at low load cruising, but when it gets really blocked you may notice a lack of acceleration too.  It will be in every gear though, not just one.

The gearing and mapping is a bit weird on these, I always thought they needed a gear between 1st and 2nd lol.

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's usually most noticeable at low load cruising, but when it gets really blocked you may notice a lack of acceleration too.  It will be in every gear though, not just one.

The gearing and mapping is a bit weird on these, I always thought they needed a gear between 1st and 2nd lol.

I guess it's just the gearing then, I've always though its a little strange. Could do with a 6th or atleast a longer 5th too. 

Anyway, thanks for all your help, I know what to watch out for now. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm sitting here waiting for recovery because its happened again I think. Should have got it looked at... I wish it was legal to straight pipe it. 

What's a reasonable amount for a new DPF these days? 

according to eurocarparts £434 for the DPF. Now Im guessing that is a pattern part so cannot suggest if this is ok or not. Maybe another memeber will know more than me 🙂

Edited by guy woodbridge
new info

I'd be very tempted to get it mapped out and removed for about the same price tbh, especially if you plan on keeping the car a while.  I know people are saying it is an MOT fail and I don't want to be accused of encouraging you to do anything naughty, but got mine done about 5 years ago and coming up to 150k miles it is running better than ever.

I would be really cautious of DPF removal. It is a very tempting idea. However, dont forget that it is well on the MOT radar now and alot stricter since last year. Would need to weigh up the risk.

You shouldn't be paying more than £200 for a pattern DPF.  Can be had for as little as £160, but £180 is about the going rate on eBay.  Any DPF under about £800 for these is a pattern part so may as well go for the cheapest one!  Also remember you can get about £60 back from the scrap man for a genuine DPF.

I absolutely wouldn't risk removing one these days, though I do agree with Southbound that all my DPF issues stopped once the DPF and EGR was removed...times change though!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITS-FORD-FOCUS-1-6-TDCi-07-04-07-11-DIESEL-PARTICULATE-FILTER-DPF-CAT/311946155369?fits=Cars+Type%3A1.6+TDCi&hash=item48a1709569%3Ag%3ABoMAAOSwGY1Zn~FT&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Guy at the garage forced it to regen and it seems happy now. But yeah it's annoying that I can't just take it out. All my problems with this car have been DPF related. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club