Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Navigation Fault.

Blatto

Just had my first fault on my new MK8 ST-Line X 140.

Set the sat nav to my home address via the voice command which worked fine. It then tells me to do a U Turn out of the works car park as per normal. I then muted the voice directions as I normally do ( just put sat nav on for the traffic alerts for journeys to and form work) About 200 yards up the road it indicated to turn left, which would be into the hedge, instead of right. After that it said Navigation Fault on the main screen and the small direction arrow on the screen between the Speedo and rev counter was stuck on a left turn.

I tried it again via a voice command but it just says Navigation Fault.

Googled it when I got home and there is a reset option, Hold down Radio volume button together with the right (next track) key for 5 secs or so. This rebooted to the Ford logo and then came back on again. It works now but screen seems sluggish to respond which it wasn't before. It's also reset all my favourites and the home and work destination settiings 😞

Happened again today at exactly the same spot on the road. Just locks up with a permanent left turn indication on the dash.

Now I know the reset button combination I just reset it, then used the voice to set destination to home again  and it works fine for the rest of the journey.

Will set the destination to home just after the point on the road it goes wrong tomorrow see what happens then.

Seems to me it is just losing the link to the Sattelites and then not recovering when they are visible again. 

Only ever had the 'known' issue of the GPS failure icon on my 67 plate.  Until recently it would fail every single trip and not come back. Never had it actually say navigation fault, although I have seen a couple of videos with it.

Really worth keeping an eye on it though as the media  / nav / electrics do seem to be a weaker point on the MK8.

Did a bit of experimenting this lunchtime, it's now even more of a mystery.

From the works car park I set  sat nav to my home address. It advises me to do a U Turn out of the car park and then about 200 metres along the road in exactly the same spot as the last two times, it stops working with Navigation fault displayed on the main screen.

It fails as I pass the car park entry of another companies unit to my left. I drive another 200 metres to the end of that road and reset the Sync sytem by holding down the button on the volume dial along with the right arrow (next track) button.

After that I re enter my home address as the destination and drive a few miles following the directions and it works fine. On the last two occasions I've gone all the way home with no problems after doing that.

I turned round and cancelled the route home and set it back to the work address, followed the directions and as I pass the point at which it goes wrong nothing happens, it just directs me to the work address as expected.

Turned round in the works car park, reset destination to home and drive out again, fails at the same point again. Reset the system , go back to car park and set destination to home but this time drove out on the wrong side of the road past the point at which it goes wrong and it worked fine. Turned round and reset destination back to work and drove past the on the wrong side of road it goes wrong this time.

So basically if I drive close to the car park entrance of the company a few units down from me it gives a Navigation fault, If I avoid passing close to that entrance by moving to the other side of the road it works fine. Once the fault occurs you can't enter a new address or cancel the current route, you have to reset it with the two buttons method.

Seems like there must be some electromagentic interference when close to that companies car park.

You say you are doing a "soft reset " to correct an errors but did you try a Master Reset in the Sync3 settings menu? to see if that cures problem.

No I haven't tried that yet. Just curious as to why it has been failing at just that one point. I've used the sat nav on other routes with no problems.

Once I've experimented a bit more and used it for a few more weeks in other locations (with hopefully no similar faults) I'll try a master reset and see if it still fails at that point.

If it does I might call into that company and ask them if they have anything that might interrupt a sat nav. They'll probably tell me to Foxtrot Oscar, but it would be interesting to find out if it's is some sort of RF frequency interference.

If you can get into Sync3 diagnostic mode you should be able to see GPS info eg signal strength and maybe number of satellites detected which may help you.  Press and hold skip forward on steering wheel and skip forward under sync3 screen together to enter diagnostics.

• Like 1

OK thanks' Ill give that a go. Just seems very strange that 5 metres across the road from where it goes wrong it's fine?

Never happened on my MK7 Sat Nav and I've driven past that spot hundreds of times in that car.

What does that particular company do?
They could indeed be pushing out a signal on the sat-nav frequency.
If they are and shouldn't be then they can be prosecuted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, tef89 said:

Is this the company's building? 

Yeah that's the place 🙂

Apparently they do X-Ray and MRI scanners so it may be an interference problem.

Going home tonight I just set the sat nave once I was about 100 metres up the road from their car park entrance and it worked fine.

• Like 1

Strong magnetic fields will mess with signals for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Stoney871 said:

Strong magnetic fields will mess with signals for sure.

Strange it doesn't recover once you are away from the area. My Old Tom tom sat nav would lose lose connection to the sattelites if there was a big thunder storm nearby. But once you were away from that area it would just pick up where you are and carry on with the route.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club