Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear shock top mounts and steering knock

wild_one

I had a search around and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm getting a random clunk/knock from the steering, sounds to be inside the car. The car has recently had new ARB bushes/drop links and lower arms both sides. Started after attempting a viscous speed bump. Another casualty of the speed bump is I think a rear top mount which is sometimes rattling, although I can't seem to replicate that noise when stationary?

Any help/ideas gratefully received.:smile:

Have you carefully checked the springs, I had one go a few years back on My Citroen C4, it snapped right near the top mount about 1 coil down but it was not easy to see as it looked to be ok with the weight of the car on it. 

• Like 1

Back on my Merc I had a knock that sounded like top mounts but was actually internal to the shocks.  You couldn't see it from the outside.

• Like 1

I have a fiesta 26k miles 4 years old the two coil springs had to be replaced my car is gently used to work and back so I was suprised. Since found out that 2 colleagues at work with exactly the same fault on same age cars, one of which passed the health check then had a call to say the c oil springs had gone driving the car out of the service bay. I think this must be a common fault and this problem needs more attention 

Springs breaking is more common these days as our roads are crapper.

Yep, was speaking to my local mechanic who fitted the new springs and dampers on my citroen, he was saying over the last 10 years or so the amount of springs he sees snapped has quadrupled. Not sure if it's the crappier roads or the amount of speed humps or the springs aren't made like before.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 1:57 AM, wild_one said:

I had a search around and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm getting a random clunk/knock from the steering, sounds to be inside the car. The car has recently had new ARB bushes/drop links and lower arms both sides. Started after attempting a viscous speed bump. Another casualty of the speed bump is I think a rear top mount which is sometimes rattling, although I can't seem to replicate that noise when stationary?

Any help/ideas gratefully received.:smile:

Possible the flexible /universal joint on the steering column. There a thread here somewhere about how to re-grease it. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2019 at 3:09 PM, Blatto said:

Yep, was speaking to my local mechanic who fitted the new springs and dampers on my citroen, he was saying over the last 10 years or so the amount of springs he sees snapped has quadrupled. Not sure if it's the crappier roads or the amount of speed humps or the springs aren't made like before.

Trouble is there's speed bumps everywhere. Not just the council, but in every car park and supermarket too. My local Asda has those thin black and yellow strips that are viscious. Even if you creep over them at walking speed it still hurts.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club