Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horrible MPG - 2.0TDCI MK3 2011 Auto (27MPG??)

FordieX
聽Share

Hey,

took a trip today that was a bit of a drive so I thought it would be a good time to do a proper MPG test. I brimmed the tank at my local petrol station and set off. Before I got to my destination I seemed to have burned through 1/3 of a tank of fuel which surprised me quite a bit. Thinking it was just the sender unit that was stuck or dodgy I checked my MPG readout (reset once tank filled) and I was sitting at 43MPG. I was somewhat disappointed to be honest as I drove like a nanny, 70% carriage ways, and about 30% A roads. The book figure is 64mpg so a little let down. My previous Ford Focus 1.6 MK2 did exactly 42MPG on a similar trip.

Anyway, this is not the problem, the problem is, once I returned back to the same station, the same pump even, I brimmed the tank again and managed to fill 拢38 of fuel or 28 litres of fuel. The issue here is, the total trip was only 169 miles. Something didn't add up so I did the maths when I got home and it works out @ 27mpg!!!

Can anyone clue me in on what's up with this? 27 MPG is just unacceptable!

Recently I went through a massive overall of the whole car, I mean, literally everything that could have gone wrong... went wrong!

Could there be a massive fuel leak somewhere? 馃槥 馃槥

If you're leaking that much fuel, it must be visible on the floor under the car surely!?

There's no chance of 64mpg in that car, but 45mpg is a more reasonable average.聽 Maybe a daft question but was the tank definitely full the first time?聽 Sometimes the easyfuel system can make the pump click off too soon, but you would have noticed the fuel gauge wasn't at max if that was the case!聽

Hey Tom,

I'm well aware of the realities of reaching official MPG figures however I've always been relatively close. For example my first car was a MK4 Golf 1.9 TDI and the book figure was 64 and on long runs, I always managed to get at least 58 mpg. My next few cars were petrols and they all seem to reach the official figures with granny style driving (my old MK2 Focus 1.6 always stayed at 42mpg) I then owned a Volvo s40 1.9D with book figures of 62mpg and was always getting 55mpg+ on long runs so I know its usually 10-15% off the book figure. I was expecting around 55MPG at LEAST this being the power shift gearbox and what not, and I'm just disappointed for that reason.

Regarding the fuel, this is the weird part, I can't see anything anywhere. No visible leaks etc. If I took it to a mechanic for them to look at, I wouldn't know where to point them too.

Also, I double checked it was at the second click when I pumped the fuel. I always do that.The fuel gauge had just passed the final line, indicating a full tank.

I'm really annoyed by my findings.

I'm going to take the same trip on Sunday, so I will just have to run the test again but I'm pretty sure I managed to squeeze in 28 litres, and I know the tank was full from the last fill as I put in close to 47 litres of fuel.

Sadly, the manual 1.6 TDCi only really averages 55mpg...45 really is about all you can expect from a 2.0 powershift.聽 Book figures ended up being so far off the mark with recent cars that they've now introduced a whole new standardised test for everything 2017 onwards.聽 The book figures in the decade before that are almost meaningless tbh, you can't just assume a 10% drop.聽 I also had a 1.9TDI Golf back in the day...easy 60mpg average, haven't had anything that could match it since!!聽 I was so disappointed with the realistic figures of the 1.6TDCi Focus both 16v & 8v versions.

The pump clicks also don't mean much if it's cutting off early.聽 But as long as it showed full on the dash you can be sure it was close enough not to skew the figures too much.

I guess you've checked the tyre pressures and it isn't loaded with passengers & luggage?聽聽

If it's not leaking, it has to be burning somewhere...聽 It's not stuck trying to regen is it?聽 Fans running on after switch off?

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Sadly, the manual 1.6 TDCi only really averages 55mpg...45 really is about all you can expect from a 2.0 powershift.聽 Book figures ended up being so far off the mark with recent cars that they've now introduced a whole new standardised test for everything 2017 onwards.聽 The book figures in the decade before that are almost meaningless tbh, you can't just assume a 10% drop.聽 I also had a 1.9TDI Golf back in the day...easy 60mpg average, haven't had anything that could match it since!!聽 I was so disappointed with the realistic figures of the 1.6TDCi Focus both 16v & 8v versions.

The pump clicks also don't mean much if it's cutting off early.聽 But as long as it showed full on the dash you can be sure it was close enough not to skew the figures too much.

I guess you've checked the tyre pressures and it isn't loaded with passengers & luggage?聽聽

If it's not leaking, it has to be burning somewhere...聽 It's not stuck trying to regen is it?聽 Fans running on after switch off?

Hey thanks for the reply. Nope definitely not regen, I'm sure if it was stuck on regen you would see smoke coming out constantly? fans are off the moment engine goes off. Regarding the pump click, I'm sure I couldn't have put more fuel in anyway, as the tank is 55 litres so I'm 100% sure the clicks in the circumstance is correct. Tyre pressures are good, and the only weight you'll find in the car is the fatty in the drivers seat 馃檪

The issue here is not the trip readout, its the real consumption @ 27mpg that's terrifying. My fathers Vauxhall Omega is a 3.0i auto and that does near 30mpg on the dual carriage ways!

I want to bring the vehicle in for a diagnosis but its always good to go in armed with relative information with probable causes as this shortens the time in finding the problem quite significantly. If it wasn't for these forums, half of the issues I had before would have cost me double or even triple to have diagnosed.

You wouldn't necessarily see smoke from constant regens, but the fans would be on a lot and you'd probably smell it when you parked!聽聽

I appreciate the issue is the actual mpg, what I meant there is if the pump was cutting off early, you might think it was full until you looked at the gauge and realised it wasn't.聽 I found one or two stations that just didn't like the easyfuel system.聽 But that doesn't seem to be the case here either.

If you do take it for a diagnosis, first thing they should do is get it up on the ramp and check underneath for any leaks.聽 Next, they'll probably plug is a scan tool and see if it's overfuelling for any reason...dodgy injectors for example, but usually you'd see smoke from that.聽 It definitely is a mystery...I haven't had any diesels doing that badly on fuel so far...tbh I think I've only had one petrol that bad and it was a GTi6!! :laugh:

People who complain about fuel consumption seldom check their tyres. Have you checked pressures, are there any signs of abnormal tyre wear?

Is there any chances you could of got the maths wrong? I'm only suggesting that as you are struggling to find any other reason. My driving is mainly in town as the car is used for driving instruction. Considering all the start stop driving I do plus the car is idling for quite sometime in car parks or side of the road the worst mpg I've ever got聽was 37.9mpg and best 44mpg. All figures calculated not from the dash read out but it's never more than a couple of mpg out. On the run 65mph mostly free flowing I got a real world 57mpg which I was really pleased with.聽 Same vehicle 2.0tdci 163 powershift Tit X. Still burn through a tank a week mind. My mk7 1250cc manual which I use for manual lessons only gets 35-37mpg teaching. As for the regen theory, my instant mpg reading jumps from 0.2 g/hr to 0.3 sometimes 0.4 g/hr when it's regening. The fans make a racket, the creep speed picks up oh and stinks. If it was constantly regening I think you'd notice it....... or it would of caught fire by now.聽

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Tom. This is exactly my point, if I popped down in my old man's Omega (with a little style may I add) I'd actually SAVE money as its a tad more economical and petrol is cheaper in general. What a sad day.

9 hours ago, Hearsepilot said:

People who complain about fuel consumption seldom check their tyres. Have you checked pressures, are there any signs of abnormal tyre wear?

Nope, checked yesterday after I saw 27mpg. Went straight to the air pump, infact, it was slightly over-inflated by the tyre fitters. So I dropped them by 2psi to the correct level. Not like that's going to do me any good now, haha! No uneven wear that I can tell. The steering is spot on (I spent a few good pennies on wheels/tyres/brakes/alignment.)

7 hours ago, Dozz said:

Is there any chances you could of got the maths wrong? I'm only suggesting that as you are struggling to find any other reason. My driving is mainly in town as the car is used for driving instruction. Considering all the start stop driving I do plus the car is idling for quite sometime in car parks or side of the road the worst mpg I've ever got聽was 37.9mpg and best 44mpg. All figures calculated not from the dash read out but it's never more than a couple of mpg out. On the run 65mph mostly free flowing I got a real world 57mpg which I was really pleased with.聽 Same vehicle 2.0tdci 163 powershift Tit X. Still burn through a tank a week mind. My mk7 1250cc manual which I use for manual lessons only gets 35-37mpg teaching. As for the regen theory, my instant mpg reading jumps from 0.2 g/hr to 0.3 sometimes 0.4 g/hr when it's regening. The fans make a racket, the creep speed picks up oh and stinks. If it was constantly regening I think you'd notice it....... or it would of caught fire by now.聽

This is making me feel good and bad at the same time. Good knowing a learner car can manage 37 in the city (the 10% rule is pretty accurate here) but bad knowing I cant even manage that on the motorway.

Just to confirm definitely not regen, no fans, no funny smells or smoke.

The maths is spot on mate, my wallet confirms this! 馃槃

拢37 (131.9/ltr) / 169 miles round trip. = 27mpg.

To compare to your figures, I am burning over DOUBLE what you are. That's just insane.

This is a strange one. Unless you have a major leak which you would see, engine malfunction which would leave miles of smoke out the exhaust or you drove like a loon with the car weighed聽 down by 2 blue whales and the tyres are flat and square I've not got an answer. Maybe it's time to get some live feeds etc from forscan聽

Just one more thought, have you got any brakes sticking on at all?聽 Best way to check is put your hand near the wheel nuts after a run, if any hubs feel particularly warm that usually means the brake is binding.

That can lose you quite a few MPG, although admittedly it would have to be teamed with another fault to be as bad as yours!

• Like 1

iv the 2.0 tdci 62 plate manual.聽 i travel from kent to yorkshire one a month a round trip of 460 miles. i stick to speed limits mostly as the roads are full of cameras and average speed check areas. i manage very occasionally to hit 60 mpg.聽 usually around 56 . you have no chance of 64.聽 and slightly worse when weather is cooler.聽聽

Just a quick update,

I've spotted something that could possibly be the culprit to the bad MPG. I've observed that the temperature gauge is never fully warmed up, and its off the mid mark noticeably. Can anyone confirm if this is normal? Could you guys check your gauges next time round and let me know if the needle is spot on in the mid-position? Bare in mind, I drive 100's of miles and it doesn't budge off the odd mark its at.

(Also, the gauge would randomly drop a quarter and climb back up to its odd position. Even at motorway speeds. I think this may be to the air-con / heating controls I toy with but not 100% sure.)

I used to own an old Volvo from the 90's and that had a similar problem and was resolved by changing the thermostat and the excess fuel consumption was eliminated. Mind you, this was a petrol and not a diesel, so not sure if there is a difference.

Thanks!

That鈥檚 odd, I can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e ever seen a Focus gauge cluster that looks like that, sadly can鈥檛 help you on the MPG front but that did strike me as odd.

The temp gauges aren't live in modern cars.聽 They're designed to stick in the centre across a wide band of tolerance.聽 That looks fine to me though, it's annoying but they often don't sit dead in the centre haha!

The issue with losing temp while cruising isn't necessarily normal though, unless you've suddenly requested all of the hot heaters?聽 Thermostat change should fix that, and may help your mpg too.聽 If you've got an OBD reader, you can read the real time actual engine聽 temp through that to give you a better idea of it.

Also as Dan says...that's a weird dash... definitely different to either MK3 I had, one with the big screen and one with the small...neither had gauges like that! :unsure:

I鈥檓 getting 29mpg out a brand new st line x 182!!聽

Only do short journeys and don鈥檛 drive it like I stole it!

Still to take it on a long motorway journey.聽

That looks like a Mondeo dash.聽

I have the same engine. My temperature gauge never gets to the halfway mark and also drops a little on a long run. It's just a feature of how these diesel engines behave, so I think the temperature gauge is a red herring.聽

As TomsFocus says, checking for binding brakes would be a good next step.聽

It's also worth considering service items like fuel filter and air filter. Do you know when they were last changed? As they can make a big difference.聽

• Like 1

Hi all.it鈥檚 been a while since I worked on cars so forgive me if I鈥檓 wrong but there used to be two temp senders,one for the gauge and one supplying information to the ECU.

could it be a faulty temp sender unit maybe reading colder than it should be so the ECU is injecting more fuel because it thinks that the engine is cold or cool ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club