Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dip beam and wipers on when car is locked

Heather012monkey

Driving home yesterday and wiper washers stopped got up next morning dip beam was on and wipers were running on there own with car locked, has anyone else had this problem 

4 hours ago, Heather012monkey said:

Driving home yesterday and wiper washers stopped got up next morning dip beam was on and wipers were running on there own with car locked,

Water, or corrosion due to water or condensation, in the BCM is the most common cause.

This is part of the passenger fuse box, in the passenger footwell as far as I can tell.

This module controls lights, wipers, locks, windows etc, and lights and wipers on with no key in can only be due to a fault in this module.

Thanks for the reply could you tell me roughly how much would the module cost

Check the engine bay fuse box for corrosion especially on the track on the back of the box, its an easy clean.

3 hours ago, Heather012monkey said:

could you tell me roughly how much would the module cost

From a Ford dealer, it would be expensive, £500 to £1000 I would guess. You can get used ones, but I am not sure if they are plug & play, or need re-programming.

The first step is to remove it, strip off all the covers (probably have to remove all fuses & relays etc as well), and inspect and clean it. Not a very easy job, but possible. I would take lots of photos during the dismantling, to have some record of how to put it back together, though. Maybe a really decent local garage or auto-electrician could do it.

Been to auto elec it was the bcm but going to work this morning and a warning sign came up saying engine malfunction  with a red triangle with a spanner any ideas on that or should I get it back to auto elec any ideas

3 hours ago, Heather012monkey said:

Been to auto elec it was the bcm but going to work this morning and a warning sign came up saying engine malfunction  with a red triangle with a spanner any ideas on that or should I get it back to auto elec any ideas

There are literally several hundred reasons why that general warning can come on. You really need a code reader to try to find the code(s) that caused it, they usually narrow it down a bit, though they are often not 100% correct. Car software is pretty dire when faced with anything abnormal.

Basic OBD2 readers are cheap, reliable and safe. If it is anything to do with the BCM then you would need Forscan or a similar Ford specific system. But engine malfunctions are not usually directly related to BCM problems. BCM does body related stuff, not engine, though there are links.

I assume there were no other symptoms. Often by the time you get a car to a garage or electrician, the code has gone, or the underlying fault has gone into hiding, so they can not find it. You need to be able to read the code(s) almost as soon as they occur, note them and clear them, in order to get a decent idea of how permanent the problem is.

Thanks for that comment, been to auto elec yesterday and it seems to be the brake pedal switch and washer motor that is causing the problem 

Hi guys the plot thickens been to auto elec today no brake lights code reader says it's the brake pedal switch trays a new one but still don't work he says it's the bcm again after cleaning it to stop first problem off wipers and headlights not turning off with keys out. To me, this fault wasn't there before we took it in for wipers and headlights to be fixed, if I got a second hand bcm would it need to be reprogrammed, if so could anybody do it or does it have to be Ford's only 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi did you manage to fix the wipers on problem when car is off? 

Mine did something similar whilst I was sat in car engine off and lights off with doors unlocked. 

After about 5-10 minutes heard some sound from the front and then wipers started on their own. But jittery movement not smooth. Also headlights kept flickering and switching on and off even though the switch was set to off for headlights. 

On a Mondeo mk4 1.6tdci business edition. I'm worried that this may drain the battery when parked up at night. 

Please see video https://photos.app.goo.gl/HQ95QKzkNK1tyYgX7

Hi did you manage to fix the wipers on problem when car is off? 

Mine did something similar whilst I was sat in car engine off and lights off with doors unlocked. 

After about 5-10 minutes heard some sound from the front and then wipers started on their own. But jittery movement not smooth. Also headlights kept flickering and switching on and off even though the switch was set to off for headlights. 

On a Mondeo mk4 1.6tdci business edition. I'm worried that this may drain the battery when parked up at night. 

Please see video https://photos.app.goo.gl/HQ95QKzkNK1tyYgX7

Update now it's doing this and some large fuse in the back was clicking so removed that. https://photos.app.goo.gl/afPYRCTHpcvSZJsY7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6nKWbHZeXBAsVRrm8

I've removed f22 fuse in engine bay for wipers so they don't move on their own. 

Also this is the large one at the back which was making a clicking noise. https://photos.app.goo.gl/6KzBAoguEuAevg9a8