Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tow Bars

john5

Hi

Has anyone had a tow bar fitted lately? I have just got a few quotes, and they run from £225 up to £264. ( and I checked to see if it was April 1st. ) All i want is one with single electrics. Anyone know if these silly prices are about right.

cheers

John.

price of the towbar is approx £120 + electrics, then fitting charge on top.

price of the towbar is approx £120 + electrics, then fitting charge on top.

Yeah that sounds about right the other option is to buy the parts and do it yourself if you are lucky you might find a towbar at a scrap yard for about £60 try parts gateway for this: http://www.partsgateway.co.uk/

I just fitted my own, very easy job. Complete kit delivered for £88 from a company on eBay.

Thanks to you all for your help.It looks like the prices I have had are not far out for supply and fit.

Thanks for the link mcouchard, that will come in very handy.

sjgillett your price sounds about right, I got a price off the net from a firm I think were in Southampton of £80 plus delivery, but I'm close enough to go and get it, You say it's an easy job I may give it a go, the only thing that puts me off is the electrics, I can do spanner work ok but am a bit of a nightmare with wires.

cheers

John.

Thanks to you all for your help.It looks like the prices I have had are not far out for supply and fit.

Thanks for the link mcouchard, that will come in very handy.

sjgillett your price sounds about right, I got a price off the net from a firm I think were in Southampton of £80 plus delivery, but I'm close enough to go and get it, You say it's an easy job I may give it a go, the only thing that puts me off is the electrics, I can do spanner work ok but am a bit of a nightmare with wires.

cheers

John.

Hi John,

What focus do you have is it the Mark 1? If so the wiring is very easy. Check this thread out I started which will give you all the wiring connections (assuming you have mark 1)

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10772

The mark one does not need a bypass relay so you can just splice into the wiring harness but if you have a mark 2 I understand that one is required. I too was a bit worried about the electrics but it only took me 30 mins to do that. The whole job was just over 3 hrs but I was taking my time. I have the wiring diagrams I could scan and send to you.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon

My focus is a MK2 so going to need relays etc.I think I will get a Haynes Manual as I will need one for other things, I will have a look and see how the wiring runs and see if I think I can manage it. Thanks for your help.

Cheers

John.

Hi Simon

My focus is a MK2 so going to need relays etc.I think I will get a Haynes Manual as I will need one for other things, I will have a look and see how the wiring runs and see if I think I can manage it. Thanks for your help.

Cheers

John.

Hi John,

No worries mate - good luck if you do go down the DIY route.

Cheers

Simon

If i ever was looking to buy a car and the car had a tow bar fitted i would run a mile. God knows what untold damage there could be underneath to the chassis or other parts of the car. Imagine the excess stress on the engine and the brakes and gears and clutch, where does it end.

No thanks. Tow bars mean trouble in my book unless you have a 5 litre 4 wheel drive monster truck that can cope with the demands.

If i ever was looking to buy a car and the car had a tow bar fitted i would run a mile. God knows what untold damage there could be underneath to the chassis or other parts of the car. Imagine the excess stress on the engine and the brakes and gears and clutch, where does it end.

No thanks. Tow bars mean trouble in my book unless you have a 5 litre 4 wheel drive monster truck that can cope with the demands.

thanks for your opinion but if john wants to fit a towbar for his own needs then thats up to him and um sure he will understand that it may stress other components. if the towbar was removed, would you ever know the difference?

not to go off topic here, john the mk2 is quite simple aswell but i believe most of the kits require you to cut the bumper.

single electrics are easy but you will need to run a feed from the battery to the boot for your relay.