Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2010 headlights (projected type)

cem1965

Hi everyone,

I am upgrading my headlights from the standard reflector type headlamps on my focus Zetec s Mk 2.5 2010 to the projected version that they have on the st models, i was just wondering if anyone has done this project before and can give me some advice, i know they are the bi xenon type lights so i don't know if i will have to modify the wiring (hope not), i know they are going to be HID ones but don;t know if they will just be a straight swap.

From the image below you can see the ones that i am changing and the ones that i want to upgrade to.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

not sure if I am 100% correct here but I thought Xenon had to have the auto levelling system on them which is checked as part of MOT. As I say not 100% sure but worth checking

As already said they need to auto level, but you also need headlight washer jets for this to be legal. 

And the original HID headlights have different wiring from the halogen headlights. 

The wiring can easily be solved by a simple modification of the wiring harness. The HID headlights require an additional ground wire that is not present in the halogen wiring harness. 

The HID headlights however are not suitible for manual height adjustment. The HID headlights have different height adjustment motors that are not compatible with the manual (electric) height adjustment system. Since the MK2.5 height adjustment motors are an integral part of the headlight assembly that cannot be replaced it is not possible to swap the height adjustment motors from the halogen headlights to the HID headlights. 

If you want to do it the correct way you have to install the HID headlights, the automatic height adjustment sensors, the headlight washing system, the headlight control module and all applicable wiring. After all parts are installed the vehicle needs to be configured for HID headlights. Upgrading from halogen to HID headlights is a pretty big job and the parts involved are pretty rare and expensive. 

Can auto leveling be fitted to a Zetec S focus and at what expense would i be looking at? also washers

HID headlights can not be converted to be used with halogen bulbs (at least not without any major modifications). 

If you just want projector headlights in combination with halogen bulb it is a much better idea to install the adaptive projector headlights. The adaptive projector headlights have H7 halogen bulbs. The adaptive functionality will not be functional because the car simply does not have the ability to control the adaptive motors. This is no problem since these headlights can easily be adjusted to the straight ahead position. 

The adaptive headlights however also require modifications to the wiring harness or modifications to the wiring inside the headlights. 

Thanks JW1982 for your fast response.

Do you think i could get away with using these lights without auto leveling and washers, i would make it so that i could put the standard back in when going for the MOT.

Being halogen headlights the adaptive projector headlights do not require auto leveling and headlight washers as long as you use halogen bulbs

The adaptive projector headlights are often used to install an aftermarket HID or LED kit. However whether this is legal or not varies between most countries. 

You can fit Xenon headlights to a Halogen headlight car, I have done it to Mk2.5 ST1 that doesn't come with Xenon headlights (Only standard fit to ST2 and ST3 Models), however like @JW1982said you will have to fit the auto leveling sensors front and rear and also the wash system, if you did fit them then you will fall foul of the MoT regulations in the UK.

Plenty of aftermarket projector type halogen headlights out there that use a normal H7 bulb, can be easy fitted with a aftermarket Xenon bulb kit.

Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected

Hi, i'm fitting genuine focus st projector headlights will these be HID or halogen?

Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club