Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk4, model 2020 - Missing blind spot detection. Any chance to get it later?

WarhawkCZ

Hello Everyone, this is my first post here on the forum. 

I picked up my very first Ford last week. It is a brand new Focus (2020 model, Wagon, ST-Line, 182hp, AT). However, something awkward happened. The blind spot detection system, which I wanted so bad, accidentally dropped from the order. It had been included in the preliminary offer but it somehow disappeared from the final order. I simply overlooked it when signing the final contract. Of course, it is my fault. It's pity because I topped the focus with pretty much everything possible. Speaking for technologies and electronics the blind spot assist is the only missing piece.

Does anyone know if there is a chance to add this missing piece after the delivery? Working as an electronics engineer in the automotive industry I know that many options are mostly software and missing buttons. For sure, there are different mirrors. I am also not sure if the system uses some additional sensors or if all sensors are already there. Same for the wiring harness.

I will ask the dealer but I'd like to do some research first. I would like to also know how intrusive would be this change. I don't feel comfortable having a dealer taking apart the interior etc. They can't simply put it back the same way like the factory can.

Have a great Sunday, 

George

PS: Attached is the guy. I switched from Passat B7 (Highline) -> Passat B7 (alltrack) -> BMW 420d to this Focus and like it a lot. (also due to the fact that I am the owner). Feel free to ask me anything.

20191022_095514small.jpg

Sorry can’t help with the blind spot question. 

What MPG are u getting ?

ive got the hatchback with the same 182 engine. 

5 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Like that colour, what is it?

ruble red

• Like 1

BLIS may require the circuits overlaying into the cabin harness and the door harnesses (for the mirror illumination).

The cabin harness may have the connections present and taped back depending on how high a level vehicle you ordered. (rear camera and B&O play etc) if you remove the rear bumper they will be below the tail lights on corner of the rear quarters.

Same as above for door harnesses.

You can change the entire mirror unit for BLIS ones or add the wiring for the warning illumination and buy new Mirror glasses.

You will need to purchase 2x rear sensors that go underneath the bumper.

Then it's a matter of getting it switched on in Forscan.

• Like 1

Then you can also switch on cross traffic alert as well, as this uses the BLIS sensors.

• 1 month later...

Guys, I am sorry it took me so long to reply. 

On 11/3/2019 at 4:10 PM, Guy Heaton said:

Like that colour, what is it?

The color is "ruby red" (Ruby rot in German). I am happy you like. It is still quite controversial for me. There are days I really like it and there are days I don't like it that much. It changes with daylight a lot.

On 11/3/2019 at 2:21 PM, Alex.S said:

Sorry can’t help with the blind spot question. 

What MPG are u getting ?

ive got the hatchback with the same 182 engine. 

Another good question. I've made about 3500km since I picked it up at the dealership. I drive about 150km/h on the highway, 100km/h outside and 50/h in the city. I use electronic assistants a lot. My average is 7.2-7.4l/100km (32MPG). This is meh but also what I expected. My father's 10 y/o Astra Caravan does the same but Focus is way more agile.  

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 2:22 PM, DaveT70 said:

BLIS may require the circuits overlaying into the cabin harness and the door harnesses (for the mirror illumination).

The cabin harness may have the connections present and taped back depending on how high a level vehicle you ordered. (rear camera and B&O play etc) if you remove the rear bumper they will be below the tail lights on corner of the rear quarters.

Same as above for door harnesses.

You can change the entire mirror unit for BLIS ones or add the wiring for the warning illumination and buy new Mirror glasses.

You will need to purchase 2x rear sensors that go underneath the bumper.

Then it's a matter of getting it switched on in Forscan.

On 11/4/2019 at 3:56 PM, DaveT70 said:

Then you can also switch on cross traffic alert as well, as this uses the BLIS sensors.

Thanks a lot, Dave, 
as a matter of fact, my GF had been pushing for her first car a lot and today we found a nice Fiesta Titanium at a Ford dealership. We go to sign the contract on Monday and they also promised they check my car for the BLIS. My car is a quite high configuration (B&O, camera, park pilot + assistance, etc.). For this reason, there is a big chance that all wiring harness may be already present. On the other hand, the automotive industry saves every cent and they may not bother to add anything extra unless needed.
I'll report back when I know more.

I’ve got an ST-line x , no extras (lease car) x being the extra. Of all the extras available blind spot is the one I’d probably pay for 🤔 

I’m also usually getting 32mpg but a journey I quite often do is 20 mile on a 50 mph zone motorway..getting 49.9mpg ! 

Just over 2000 miles on the clock. 

Yep, dead easy to get 'blind spot' detection - had these fitted to all my cars in the last 40 years, they're brilliant! 🤣

2790803_blindspotmirror.thumb.jpg.238b12a56aa9006e0efe8a8d848491ee.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Summit-Car-Van-Convex-Blind-Spot-Mirror-Towing-Reversing-Blindspot/161599683377?epid=3017026791&hash=item25a0177b31:g:fs4AAOSw~y9ZAlvJ

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Yep, dead easy to get 'blind spot' detection - had these fitted to all my cars in the last 40 years, they're brilliant! 🤣

2790803_blindspotmirror.thumb.jpg.238b12a56aa9006e0efe8a8d848491ee.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Summit-Car-Van-Convex-Blind-Spot-Mirror-Towing-Reversing-Blindspot/161599683377?epid=3017026791&hash=item25a0177b31:g:fs4AAOSw~y9ZAlvJ

My hatred for these is nearly as much as for the door protectors...  :lol:  

• Like 1

Come on Tom, how can you hate them so, they're lovely, and very practical LOL

1519310196_blindspotfocus.thumb.jpg.2437443037f7d278ef2030fdb78166c1.jpg

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Come on Tom, how can you hate them so, they're lovely, and very practical LOL

1519310196_blindspotfocus.thumb.jpg.2437443037f7d278ef2030fdb78166c1.jpg

Practical maybe, but man are they ugly!  Would wind me up no end seeing that in the mirror constantly with a smaller image...like 'picture in picture' on the old TV monitor systems! :lol:   As you've probably guessed, they were another favourite of my Dad's...he really liked all that cheap tat stuck everywhere on the car but wouldn't let us kids place stickers anywhere in the house! :laugh: 

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Practical maybe, but man are they ugly!  Would wind me up no end seeing that in the mirror constantly with a smaller image...like 'picture in picture' on the old TV monitor systems! :lol:   As you've probably guessed, they were another favourite of my Dad's...he really liked all that cheap tat stuck everywhere! :laugh:

I get the feeling that your dad and I would get on very well! LOL I'm a big fan of cheap tat. As a boy racer from the 70s, I was raised on it, Cibie rally spot lights, whale tale spoilers, rear window visors, white lettered tyres aahhh, those were the days of proper motoring...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

I get the feeling that your dad and I would get on very well! LOL I'm a big fan of cheap tat. As a boy racer from the 70s, I was raised on it, Cibie rally spot lights, whale tale spoilers, rear window visors, white lettered tyres aahhh, those were the days of proper motoring...

Haha, yeah I reckon you would!  He started driving around 1970 as well and did have some interesting cars before I came along lol.  I wouldn't call Cibie spots cheap tat though, I do like those on cars of the time!  :biggrin:  

• Like 1

Haha, some fun stuff here.

Honestly, I had never had a car with so many options before. This time I had a unique chance to top my configuration and it drives me mad that I missed the BLISS feature. Additionally, people telling me that this is the most useful assistant are not helping me claiming down. 😀

Honestly bud, if your car has the heated front windscreen, you already have the best Ford option available, all the rest is smoke & mirrors...  enjoy.

• Like 1

Pfft Blind spot monitoring who needs that, Just look around you, use your mirrors and common sense 😂

1 hour ago, James said:

Pfft Blind spot monitoring who needs that, Just look around you, use your mirrors and common sense 😂

But you can't see the blind spot in the mirrors...that's kind of in the name... :wink:  Time you've turned your neck round to check, the car in front has slammed on the brakes instead of merging at speed and you've rear ended them, can't win!  You could just pull out and expect everyone else to move for you, that seems to be the usual dual carriageway merging method around here anyway. :rolleyes: :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

But you can't see the blind spot in the mirrors...that's kind of in the name... :wink:  Time you've turned your neck round to check, the car in front has slammed on the brakes instead of merging at speed and you've rear ended them, can't win!  You could just pull out and expect everyone else to move for you, that seems to be the usual dual carriageway merging method around here anyway. :rolleyes: :laugh: 

But that's where having adaptive cruise control comes in. It does the braking for you 😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, James said:

But that's where having adaptive cruise control comes in. It does the braking for you 😁

Bet you guys can't wait for driverless cars! LOL I'm hoping I'll be long gone before that, I actually enjoy controlling my car & driving 🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Bet you guys can't wait for driverless cars! LOL I'm hoping I'll be long gone before that, I actually enjoy controlling my car & driving 🤣

😁. Depends on the situation in hand. I hate driving in stop and go traffic especially in cities and towns, and driving long boring motorway journeys. But driving on free Countryside roads I actually prefer to drive and control the car myself. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You're right, I can't wait for them...not to drive myself, but to get all the oblivious fools into them. :wink:  It's really not that hard to accelerate and merge from a sliproad yet a good chunk of drivers cant seem to manage it without a sudden, unpredictable manoeuvre...  I tend to tactically overtake before slip roads to make sure I'll be at the front of the merge where possible! :laugh: 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

In case of google search bringing you here:
When my GF bought her Fiesta I asked the dealer if they could eventually add the blind spot detection. They checked with Ford and told me it is not officially possible. Even if I had all cables and sensors there they won't get the right software package from Ford. They told me they need to put the VIN in the system and it enables the options based on the configuration. 
For sure there's a way to do it but this is a legal issue. 
Note that this is just a single opinion from one dealership in Germany. This information may be incorrect or I misinterpreted it. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club