Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Change oil message

CAMERON250310

Bought my car Focus ST Line in mid July from Arnold Clark, it was registered end of September 2018. It had been serviced the week before I got it, had 16300 miles on clock now 17900 miles. Today I get “change oil soon” message. How can that be?

If they changed the oil, the guy forgot to reset the oil change counter. Brake and accelerator pedal pushed until the car confirms that the schedule has been reset.

Just make sure they changed your oil when you got it. Do not reset if you do not have proof your oil was changed. This warning shows up a hit earlier than it should to give you time to change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Re-set oil life is done in the instrument cluster settings menu.

Not on my car or my precious ford vehicles.
Push start engine button with no clutch.
Push break and accelerator to the floor and wait for it.

14 minutes ago, Rainydays said:

They have a 2018 ST-Line, so assuming it's a Mk4, it can be done through the drivers display.

20 hours ago, Rainydays said:

I know, but MK4 is through instrument cluster

• 1 month later...

I bought my focus mk4 with 2600 miles on the clock ,I reset the oil change counter on my mk4 at around 5000 miles know I was in for a service soon, had a service at 6000 and now at 8000 the warning has come on again. There is no way in hell a car needs an oil change every 2000 miles, back to the dealer at the weekend to see what they say and already informed FordUK via twitter about it. Not happy at all, with the problems I've had over 6 or 7 months of having the car think I was sold a lemon, I was in two minds whether to get the focus or a golf, jesus I wish I'd gone VW.

• Like 1

So back from the dealer, so blasé, just reset the oil life,  So I ask if it happens again just reset again, his reply was basically yes just ignore it, if you reset it and it comes on again the same day and you try again the next day  and it keeps coming on there is a problem, every few thousand miles just ignore.
I'm guessing they know the system don't work correctly and have had so many in they just reset them all.

I don't quite get the deal with oil life versus service intervals.

service intervals for our cars are both 2yrs/18k whichever is sooner.

But both will reach 0% oil life before this.

So are we meant to get just an oil change when it does, or just ignore it til 2yrs/18k?

If you are doing lots of short journeys the oil life indicator will go down faster.

There is usually something in the service book/manual about servicing more regularly in these sort of conditions.

For info there are 2 types of oil monitor systems, one samples the oil directly the other estimates using data from the other systems on the car. I suspect the focus doesnt use the first one as it wouldn't need reseting as it would sample the new oil when it was changed. The second one usually works like this

Algorithm-based oil indicators measure lots of factors and then plug the resulting numbers into a formula. Based on the answer to this complex, ongoing math problem, the indicator display will tell you whether the oil is OK, is close to requiring replacement or needs replacing immediately.

Interestingly, with these types of indicators, there are no sensors to detect the quality of the oil itself. Instead they combine data on how many miles you've driven, the temperature variations during that time and data about how much work the engine has performed. Typically, the indicator (monitoring system) will receive such data from the powertrain control module, or PCM, which is the main on-board computer. Engineers have figured out a fairly accurate and reliable way to calculate the remaining oil life this way, without having to actually sample the oil.

If when reset,  the oil life is showing 0% again quickly then the system is faulty.

I think my problem is coming from a Nissan Micra diesel to the Focus is that I had the Nissan for over 15 year on a two  year service interval and it never missed at beat in 130K., and dropping to a 12 month interval and the change message at 5 and 8k miles is a worry.

I remember after I'd had the Micra  15 months or so I asked at nissin does it need an oil change, the reply was "hell no, todays oils last well past the two years service interval"

I've just noticed yours is a 1.5 diesel. Aren't they 1yr/10000 mls fixed servicing anyway?

Yes, it's 10K service interval, but according to the Engine oil change warning it should have been changed 3 times by now, it's got 8K on the clock 😄

My last oil change was January and this oil life Algorithm-based thing says I'm still at 93% it'll be going in for another change this coming January.

• 1 month later...

There is a re-call for this (Change engine oil), contact you dealer and they should confirm. I had mine done at Evans Halshaw.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2019 Focus Titanium X.

I'm getting the "change oil soon message". Reading the above it looks like I should be able to reset this through the display.

However, when I go to Settings/Information, there isn't an oil Life option in that menu.

So, help please, how do I reset it??

16 hours ago, iantt said:

Have you changed the oil? 

No. Only had the car since November. It is 1 year old and has done 4200 miles. It was serviced when I bought it from main dealer in November (at 2600 miles) but I doubt they changed the oil.

As the message has come on, you need to get the oil changed soon. If you reset the message without oil change, you will invalidate the warranty as ford can see when the message is reset and will want proof of oil change if not done at a ford dealer. 

The message is coming on for a reason. What engine have you got? 

1 hour ago, iantt said:

As the message has come on, you need to get the oil changed soon. If you reset the message without oil change, you will invalidate the warranty as ford can see when the message is reset and will want proof of oil change if not done at a ford dealer. 

The message is coming on for a reason. What engine have you got? 

It's the 1.5 diesel. Surely it shouldn't need an oil change so soon other than because its hit 1 year old?

3 hours ago, DonT said:

It's the 1.5 diesel. Surely it shouldn't need an oil change so soon other than because its hit 1 year old?

I suppose that's a pretty low annual mileage for a modern diesel nowadays and low mileage/short journeys generally requires more frequent changes.

I got the message on my petrol Fiesta at just under 10,000 miles the week before I took it in for its service at 2 years. I'd actually had an oil and filter change at the 1 year inspection but they didn't reset it (presumably because it wasn't an "official" service action?) as it was still showing approx 50% oil life afterwards.

Back when I did a bit more mileage than I do now, I had a couple of Audi diesels on variable (up to a max of 2 year) service intervals. This was before dpf etc, etc. They both did 17-18,000 miles before the change indicator came up, again just in time for the 2 year service.

4 hours ago, DonT said:

It certainly can do, esp short low mileage journeys. The dpf regen can occur more frequently with those type of journeys. This dilutes the oil thus requiring change sooner. 

There was update that extended the oil change interval that might be relevent to your car. P.M me your reg and I can check if it's required. If it does then you will need to contact your local ford dealer if there open. 

16 hours ago, iantt said:

It certainly can do, esp short low mileage journeys. The dpf regen can occur more frequently with those type of journeys. This dilutes the oil thus requiring change sooner. 

There was update that extended the oil change interval that might be relevent to your car. P.M me your reg and I can check if it's required. If it does then you will need to contact your local ford dealer if there open. 

Thanks Ian. PM sent.

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2019 at 10:32 AM, DaveT70 said:

Re-set oil life is done in the instrument cluster settings menu.

I have a similar issue posted in a different thread, I would be most grateful if you could please detail where in the instrument cluster settings menu I can find this method of resetting.

Thank you.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club