Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 8 Ecoboost 140 Oil Change Intervals

Piston Head

My old Mk7.5 ecoboost had an oil change interval of 12.5K miles.

My new Mk8 has an oil change interval of 18k miles.

There is also mention of some sort of checkup at 9kmiles

Is this an oil change too?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Piston Head said:

My old Mk7.5 ecoboost had an oil change interval of 12.5K miles.

There is also mention of some sort of checkup at 9kmiles

Is this an oil change too?

Thanks

Nope, the checkup at 9k miles is effectively a visual review. Some members including myself ask for an oil and oil filter change at the same time. The 9k mile inspection is good if you get it at a good price, if it’s the full £100 it’s a little bit on the not worth it side even though it does give you a years worth of breakdown cover.

as far as has been discussed, there aren’t any technical reasons behind the extension from 12.5 to 18k miles 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DG97 said:

I think on the MK8 it's a variable oil change interval up to a maximum of 18000 miles or two years whichever is sooner. But it also takes into consideration the environmental conditions  and how you have been driving. e.g. if you do lots of short stop start journeys and/or in cold conditions or if you thrash it up and down the autobahn with frequent high engine speeds/temperature etc... It will recommend a shorter interval. I've had mine for 3 weeks now and have been running it in gently as prescribed in the manual. I've done about 1100 miles now and it's showing oil life at 96% on the fordpass app. It recommend you change it at 5% or at the intervals above whichever is sooner.

Yes that’s correct however...

when I replaced my oil at around 9k, the indicator was just below 50% and my journeys are a mix of start stop, dual carriageway and lots of hills. Which on paper means that it’d be due for an oil change at around 15k miles. With the service interval being set at 18k, do you just do the oil at 15 and the rest at 18, or all at 15? I find that a little bit of unnecessary confusion. 

Whilst definitely intelligent, at the end of the day it’s still a programmed counter to almost certainly take in the 18k set interval into consideration. As the previous interval was at 12.5k max, without anything apparent changing, it’s suddenly a variable of up to 18k which makes me think it’s more of a sales assist as they can say you need to service the car less. 

1 minute ago, DG97 said:

With the service interval being set at 18k, do you just do the oil at 15 and the rest at 18, or all at 15? I find that a little bit of unnecessary confusion. 

Yeah, I'm not sure. I'll be doing 18K or so a year anyway so I'd have my service at the recommended mileage but I'll probably get an oil change around 10K regardless then when it's due for the service it will have done another 8K anyway.

• Like 1

I just went with a service when I bought it (12 months old) and earlier this month (24 months old) mileage is 14000 ish now. 

Much simpler as I know I do short journeys.  I trust my judgement more than I trust the oil life indicator personally. But that's just me. 

These longlife oil changes seem to be common now as my Audi was 2 years / 20,000 but it was on PCP so I just let the car tell me when it needed servicing. 

18k mile oil changes on a high revving turbo charged engine is just asking for trouble.

Imo ALL the long life service schedules for all the manufacturer are asking for trouble.

Long service intervals mean people are more likely to forget or overshoot the service date/mileage giving makers an easy out come warranty claim time.

For cars sold with free servicing the longer service schedule is only benefiting the dealership.

1 hour ago, prawny1 said:

18k mile oil changes on a high revving turbo charged engine is just asking for trouble.

Not sure I'd agree with that description of the 1 litre Ecoboost engine. It's not a high revving engine. My 140 PS fiesta red-lines at about 6300 rpm which has been a fairly common redline figure for many years in most cars. And it's not necessary to rev it hard as the maximum torque is available from about 1500 rpm. With normal driving and getting up to about 80mph on motorways the engine will spend most of its life between 1500 and 4000 rpm

They are also fairly high geared, certainly in the 100 & 125 BHP versions , 60mph at 2000 rpm.

Unless you meant the turbo charger itself is high revving?

But I do agree 18000 miles is a lot to ask of oil. I'm going to be changing mine at about 10,000

Convenience check is not 9k, it is 12 months, to coincide with the renewal of the breakdown cover.

Looking at both my 1.5 and the missus 1.0, both economist, the predicted oil life for the 1.0 would see a change at 2 year/12k and the 1.5 at 16 months, 15k.

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

Convenience check is not 9k, it is 12 months, to coincide with the renewal of the breakdown cover.

Looking at both my 1.5 and the missus 1.0, both economist, the predicted oil life for the 1.0 would see a change at 2 year/12k and the 1.5 at 16 months, 15k.

My mistake, you’re right, the convenience check is 12 months. 

although if combining it with an oil change it makes sense to do it at 9k so it’s an even gap between the extra oil change and the one that’ll happen during the service

Worth it if you're keeping the car, definitely.

• Like 1

I have mk8 ecoboost 100ps automatic, here in Egypt according to Ford dealer, oil and filter change are every 10k km , that's 6250 miles, or after 6 months , or when the oil life is down to 5%, whichever occurs first !! 

knowing that the dealer uses motorcraft 5w-20 full synthetic oil according to Ford specs. 

I have done my first oil change at 10K km with oil life remaining 45% !! so confusing 😄 

but longer oil change intervals for the mk8 may be due to the fact that oil capacity for the mk8 ecoboost is more than that of the mk7 ecoboost ? 4.6 to 4.1 litres ?

8 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

I have mk8 ecoboost 100ps automatic, here in Egypt according to Ford dealer, oil and filter change are every 10k km , that's 6250 miles, or after 6 months , or when the oil life is down to 5%, whichever occurs first !! 

knowing that the dealer uses motorcraft 5w-20 full synthetic oil according to Ford specs. 

I have done my first oil change at 10K km with oil life remaining 45% !! so confusing 😄 

but longer oil change intervals for the mk8 may be due to the fact that oil capacity for the mk8 ecoboost is more than that of the mk7 ecoboost ? 4.6 to 4.1 litres ?

Mk7.5 takes 4,6 liters of oil when also changing the filter. Without filter it is 4,4 l.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

here in Egypt according to Ford dealer, oil and filter change are every 10k km , that's 6250 miles

Maybe that's due to the Climate in Egypt, I'd imagine it's a fairly extreme high temperature there most of the year?

7 hours ago, Blatto said:

Maybe that's due to the Climate in Egypt, I'd imagine it's a fairly extreme high temperature there most of the year?

during winter the temperature is between 10 to 20 Celsius, in some occasions it can reach between 5 to 2 at night 😄 , however during summer its around 35 Celsius,  it can reach up to 42 Celsius on a hot day 😄 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club