Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Over filled engine oil

Jusitne

Had car serviced last Friday.  checked oil on Monday morning and it was 10mm over the max.  Rang garage on Monday and told by service Manager that this was not an issue and it would not affect or damage the engine.  I Insisted they removed oil to below the max mark which they did.  Garage manager said if there was any issues with the engine as a result of the oil overfill  they would put it right but waiting for him to confirm this in writing.

I’m going to email him myself - anyone got any ideas what wording I should use and how long i should tie them into this guarantee?

Also, if there has been any engine damage due to the over fil what should I look our for / what are the signs?  When I drove home after the service I smelt an odd odour (possibly burning) - turned heater off and smell disappeared - drove on Saturday without any smells.  No smoke form the exhaust either.  

I Drove approx 85 miles from the oil change to getting the oil drained.  Is this sufficient to potentially damage the engine?

BA716F1D-BCBA-475D-B777-A8D605E62774.thumb.jpeg.227fe31d55c3d35220182e97277e85fb.jpeg

In my experience that would mean that they put in maybe 0.5-1 litre too much, which in reality shouldn't cause an issue.  Worst case, with that much, you may well find that excess has come out of the crank case breather or something, but that should be about it.  If I had to guess, I would say that any damage would already have been done because it would likely be down to excess pressure on the underside of the pistons or the overall oil system which would happen damn near as soon as you started the engine.  😊  And it's the kind of damage that you'd definitely notice and would likely light the dash up with warning lights.

So basically, I wouldn't worry about it and probably why he was so happy to say that he'd guarantee it if anything went wrong.

Just my experience though, and someone with more/better may say otherwise.

• Like 1

Occasionally I got some oil smell too. I have thought that it happens because some oil has been spilt over the engine when Ive checked the oil level with dipstick. Anyway I wouldn't classify it as a problem unless it keeps happening regularly. My car has been overfilled with oil every time when I took it to maintenance. It's always a few millimeters over the max. So far so good. A couple of times I've sucked out some oil, others I haven't. Engine is ok and it's been driven 100 000 km now. The 10 mm sounds quite a lot of extra I think.

You didn't say whether it was an Ecoboost engine, but in my experience (and I've owned two of them over the last three years) they are notoriously difficult to check the oil level on. I always check with the engine cold i.e. left overnight and the level also seems to be different on the front and back of the dipstick.

If it helps my latest and previous cars came from the factory with oil level above the max mark.

• Like 1

Just to add my experience, had my car serviced last month and they overfilled by about the same amount. They also mentioned it is really tricky to get the fill level right on my EcoBoost (serviced it twice so far). 

I was told that it was nothing to worry about but they were happy to take enough out so it's now dead in the middle of min/max. 

From what I've read and experienced it's super common to have an overfill after service, I wouldn't worry too much. 

• Like 2

Hi all - yes it is an eco boost engine.  oil now between min and max point.  

Nothing to worry about. Theres a technical service bulletin the techs/ service advisers can refer to stating up to 10mm overfill is ok. No damage will occur. Unfortunately the garage can't win on this. The oil takes a long time to drain down to the level, and I mean a few hours ,not minutes. So its not practical to check level after a few mins and get it right. If they under fill and hope it rises to max and it doesn't , I'm sure the owner will moan it's to low. 

• Like 4

This will not be a problem in the future - my neighbours Mini has no dipstick  - and I'm sure Ford will follow this eventually.

The garage has said it will put right any damage that occurs to the engine due to the overfill  Waiting for that verbal guarantee to be confirmed in writing however!  

My car was in maintenance about 2 weeks ago and they changed the oil and overfilled it. This time about 5-6 mm over max when measured after 10 min from driving the car. In the morning it'll probably be closer to 10 mm after all oil has gotten into sump. I guess I will contact the dealer about this.

Let me know what they say.  have you had any problems since the overfill and how many miles have you done?

1 hour ago, Jusitne said:

Let me know what they say.  have you had any problems since the overfill and how many miles have you done?

Actually I went to recheck it afterwards and it was only a few millimeters over max. I guess I'm just going to let it be like that and skip contacting the dealer. I've had it a few mm over max before and no damage has occurred. My car is driven 100 000 km now.

Funny thing btw, the oil level was 1-2 mm higher on the other side of the stick than the other one 🙂

Not sure if I’m being paranoid but engine seems to have a bit of a rattle - heard it this morning when starting up from cold and still there after driving 15 miles to work.  Does anyone think this could be due to the overfilling of the engine oil?  If yes what could it signify?  

Spark plugs were changed during at the same time as the oil change so could it be due to that?

Ecoboosts are pretty much always a little bit rattling. The rattling is more pronounced when cold but it never goes away totally.

The engine in this video has normal Ecoboost engine sounds when engine warm:

Did u get oil level back to normal , mine rattlly but these engines are a bit when cold but goes off when warm , people say heat shield rattles ,comes loose.

Yes they took the oil out to below the minimum.  Engine is making a chattering noise so I’m taking it back in tomorrow.  Also, the car seems to continue to move on its own (a little ) when I take my foot off the accelerator.  Any ideas anyone?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club