Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fedup is a under statement

Tekman

I have a mk2 2006  Focus 2ltr Auto I love the car But I have had this problem now for 10 months

At 55 to 70 plus there is a vibration through steering wheel so did following changed rack ends and track rod ends had tracking done 

Changed both driveshafts ( no Change )  , Changed alloys with Tryes ( no Change )

New disks and pads ( No change ) , changed rop links ( No Change )

Changed Shocker Tops and shockers and springs ( no change ) , Changed all 3 enginge mounts ( no change )

Changed bottom arms ( no change ) changed Wheel bearings ( no change )

So now really fed up at this time so thought there may be a problem with hub carriers so changed them but in mean time had car tracked multi times But Still steering vibrates

Now at this time I have to change power steering pump so give system good flush and refill ( No change ) 

Then I start to think there is a problem with drivers side drive shaft at £175  I get another and change and re track No Blooming change I have 17" alloys with all new tryes So decide to remove and get another set put continetal tyres on so all balanced up with a set of new nuts and yep No Change 

so did Disk again thinking a worped disk ( No change )

So Couple of days ago I had car on ramps and layed under it checking so got wife to vibrate steering from side to side and held rack ends felt cluncking in drivers side so changed rack ends and track rod ends and yep re track.

now its computer tracking at £25 a go AND NO @?@*## Change

I have no ideas now I am doing all this while fighting ill health and torn ligiments in shoulder have no help but dont mind. 

I am really down now, I dont want to get rid of car so my wife has suggested the rack its self but my thoughts are it would do it at all speeds cannot keep affording to change parts and it not work so if anyone has a idea  that may help.

Please any help would Really appreciated

From A Totaly FEDUP Focus Owner

cheers 

Alan

I am not technically minded but could it be the alloys themselves? Could one or more of them be misshapen at all? Do you have any way of getting a shot of some spare rims to test the theory? Sorry if the idea is total rubbish but thought it was worth chipping in,

Tracking and steering parts don't usually cause a vibration like that, they just cause edgewear and a 'loose' steering feel. 

Something in the driveline is out of balance to vibrate at speed.  I assume the replacement wheels weren't new?  Chances are they may be bent.  If you have access to a dial gauge, it would be worth checking the discs and hubs for run out if you're sure it's not the wheels.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I am not technically minded but could it be the alloys themselves? Could one or more of them be misshapen at all? Do you have any way of getting a shot of some spare rims to test the theory? Sorry if the idea is total rubbish but thought it was worth chipping in,

Hi Mate yes my thought`s too so changed different alloys 4 sets total now but no difference

Thanks for reply Mate

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Tracking and steering parts don't usually cause a vibration like that, they just cause edgewear and a 'loose' steering feel. 

Something in the driveline is out of balance to vibrate at speed.  I assume the replacement wheels weren't new?  Chances are they may be bent.  If you have access to a dial gauge, it would be worth checking the discs and hubs for run out if you're sure it's not the wheels.

Hi Tom Yes did try different sets I had the 17" with new tyres checked and where fine but changed to 16" because thought being bigger might be causing it .

got a engeneering dial gauge and checked for any run out with hubs inline to car has though it was sat on road and didnt find owt so I was going to change Passenger driveshaft again just for peace of mind has q-drive are cheap shafts and I was going to put better qualilty on has originals where totaly knackered but has the cheap ones didnt seem to make any difference .

I didn`t want to go through cost of high price driveshafts especialy when 2ltr Auto shafts are rare. 

cheers

Alan

• Like 1

if you really did wheels, bearings, hubs and driveshafts, that leaves the diff (I'd guess unlikely), a badly fitted exhaust system and or the engine mounts

if you really did wheels, bearings, hubs and driveshafts, that leaves the diff (I'd guess unlikely), a badly fitted exhaust system and or the engine mounts
3x engine mounts changed as per his original post. Maybe it's a bumpy road [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ummm

vibration can go via the exhaust as I said and rare on modern cars.... old coolant hoses than are no longer flexible, used to be a big thing 50 / 60 years back

or even a bad engine map or if a tractor the fact its a tractor would do it

7 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

3x engine mounts changed as per his original post. Maybe it's a bumpy road emoji12.png

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lol Jon and trying to find a smooth road in uk very hard lol

I have to admit I did think Torque converter out of balance but belive it would be worse on acceleration.

I have had these wheels re-check for balance and they aware of problems I have had and stumped like everyone they say driveshaft or wheel / tyres.

I have done o/s driveshaft twice so will bite bullet and get another n/s and change that again and see what happens 

On 11/1/2019 at 5:49 PM, Tekman said:

I have to admit I did think Torque converter out of balance but belive it would be worse on acceleration.

I have had these wheels re-check for balance and they aware of problems I have had and stumped like everyone they say driveshaft or wheel / tyres.

I have done o/s driveshaft twice so will bite bullet and get another n/s and change that again and see what happens 

Ok Update I have bought another N/S driveshaft got a different brand took it onto motorway and YES IT STILL VIBRATING so l lost it and punched steering wheel ( oh and that did no good ) I am so fedup.

Has I said I don`t want to get rid of car I have done so much.

So could it be the anti roll bar bushes  or steering rack it`s self 

Please please please any help 😭😭😭😭

If it's a vibration at a particular speed then it's something rotational that's out of balance.  

If it's wandering and needing a lot of steering correction then it's steering or rubber bush related.

Tbh I'd suspect the diff at this point.  Has it done it since you bought it or did it start since then?

Hi Tom

It started about 6-7 month ago with a vibration at 25 and then again at 55 to 60 so first thing was driveshafts and low speed vibration went but high speed still bad it doesnt pull and its worse when it just cruising with steering in relaxed position no driffting but vibrates like a jack hammer with no sound if you let go of steering wheel gets worse.

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If it's a vibration at a particular speed then it's something rotational that's out of balance.  

If it's wandering and needing a lot of steering correction then it's steering or rubber bush related.

Tbh I'd suspect the diff at this point.  Has it done it since you bought it or did it start since then?

10 minutes ago, Tekman said:

Hi Tom

It started about 6-7 month ago with a vibration at 25 and then again at 55 to 60 so first thing was driveshafts and low speed vibration went but high speed still bad it doesnt pull and its worse when it just cruising with steering in relaxed position no driffting but vibrates like a jack hammer with no sound if you let go of steering wheel gets worse.

Yeah that definitely sounds like a balancing issue rather than bushes to me.  

I don't know what else to suggest now but I really don't think ARB bushes or rack will fix it personally.  

I have had a few knackered diffs but the only time I've experienced a jackhammer type shake has been dodgy wheels or driveshafts.

Was the long shaft centre stabiliser bearing replaced with the new shaft?  I'm not sure if they're separate on these but I reckon a worn centre bearing could cause this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah that definitely sounds like a balancing issue rather than bushes to me.  

I don't know what else to suggest now but I really don't think ARB bushes or rack will fix it personally.  

I have had a few knackered diffs but the only time I've experienced a jackhammer type shake has been dodgy wheels or driveshafts.

Was the long shaft centre stabiliser bearing replaced with the new shaft?  I'm not sure if they're separate on these but I reckon a worn centre bearing could cause this.

Hi Mate 

Yes it comes complete with bearing allready fitted.

I feel the same My experiance telling me wheel or shaft but allready changed twice for shafts and now 4 different sets of wheels and tyres.

This is why I feel I am going crackers If it was diff I believe it would be through all speeds not just 55 to 70 which is what a wheel or shaft would do .🥴🥴🥴

I am going down tomorrow and have tracking re checked and have them give a quick look over to see if fresh set of eyes can see owt

Thanks for reply Tom

• Like 1

if its a balance issue then the same revs any gear should get a similar effect

(forgot its an auto as that'll make the next bit harder/more expensive) try / borrow another box, it will cover a lot of bits and the diff one go

1 hour ago, Botus said:

if its a balance issue then the same revs any gear should get a similar effect

(forgot its an auto as that'll make the next bit harder/more expensive) try / borrow another box, it will cover a lot of bits and the diff one go

Hi Mate I did try that tryed lower gears high revs nothing been on motorway and changed down gear manually to see if it would change no still vibrates tryed steep incline to see if that would cause it and nope. even six bags of gravel in boot ( lol) it just vibrates from 55 to 70 ish if you put ya foot down to higher it stops.

Was thinking gearbox change but wouldnt it be that if gearbox or diff was problem then it would do it on hard acceleration from start 

Update been down to Tyre garage this morning they have a new tracking system put it on that set tracking up ( AGAIN ) was talking to their mechanics about htis problem they confirmed it can only be tyres , wheel`s , driveshafts they did say that if it was gearbox it would vibrate through all speeds,

so yes still doing it so I am completely stumped has to why it vibrates so thinking of giving up and buying a Volvo and retiring.

you definitely swapped wheels (and tyres) rather than just tyres?

the other thing I'm thinking if speed related, its not some aero dynamic issue...  you used to see quite a few fords with undertrays or part of the rear bumper trying to fall off, flapping around wildly on motorways

38 minutes ago, Botus said:

you definitely swapped wheels (and tyres) rather than just tyres?

the other thing I'm thinking if speed related, its not some aero dynamic issue...  you used to see quite a few fords with undertrays or part of the rear bumper trying to fall off, flapping around wildly on motorways

Hi Mate yes I have changed from 16" standard alloys to 17" titanium alloys then had tyres changed for all new then thought it might be the 17 too big ( lol ) so got a set of 16" alloys with continetal tyres then had them re balanced to make sure everything was ok wheel wise.

the vibration best discription is like running over small corrugations on road but something flapping would also describe it without sound that comes on at around 50-55 then fades away at around 75.

I have re checked undertray and installed new screws 

Ok so now you got me thinking thankyou mate a fresh idea

OK so now just been talking to wife and told her what Botus said and she reminded me of something I dont know if it would cause this so here goes

Feb 7th we was sat at a set of traffic light`s a Audi A6 sat behinde us when a council van large one hit the Audi which it us had my brakes on and he moved us 6ft at least, My insurance sent out a assessor who told me rear crash bar was crushed and we needed a new bumper car taken away and fixed got it back the problem I am having with vibration I believe started after this and wife is certain ( she has a book with what I bought 🙄 lol )

So could this infact have anything to do with it has it was rear damage I never gave it any thought

3 hours ago, Tekman said:

so yes still doing it so I am completely stumped has to why it vibrates so thinking of giving up and buying a Volvo and retiring.

V50?  Those are just Focus's in a different dress anyway! :biggrin:

Rear end impact does sound like a good cause but odd to affect steering wheel.  If it was through seat I'd suggest the rear subframe had been shunted off centre.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

V50?  Those are just Focus's in a different dress anyway! :biggrin:

Rear end impact does sound like a good cause but odd to affect steering wheel.  If it was through seat I'd suggest the rear subframe had been shunted off centre.

Lol so that`s why I like the v50 then 😁

yes I am going to when not raining give the rear a look at esspecialy the trailing arm bush`s I know I am grabbing at straws but at this stage It want hurt just rule it out.

Right put backend on to ramps and had a look although the bushed look a bit aged however drivers side trailing arm bush lets say arm moves side to side freely the front one ( the pain in butt one ) so been out and bought bush removing tool and 2 x bushes cost £100.

so I know what I am doing on weekend oh joy

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club