Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electrical Problems with Ford Mondeo Titanium TDCI (2013) 2 litre/ 138 BHP

Dmac12345

Hello everyone,

I am a new member to the forum and was wondering if anyone could perhaps shed some light (and hopefully suggest a solution) to a problem I am currently having with my car.

At the weekend, I started to experience major electrical problems with my Ford Mondeo Titanium TDCI (2013) 2 litre/ 138 BHP (over 100 k miles). I've had the car for a few years now and up until now, it has never given me any issues. 

Please allow me to explain some of the problems I have having; 

- When I start the car and move off, the handbrake sensor comes on however the handbrake is not in use.

- Wipers, hazard lights don't work. There is a noise coming from the back of the car which sounds like the motor of the back screen wiper coming on when i switch on the car. 

- Can't lock the doors using the fob. 

- When I switch the car off, some of the lights remain on and I therefore have to disconnect the battery to avoid it going down. 

I have given the car to an Electrical Auto garage who said that they thought it might be a problem with the GEM Module however they were not entirely convinced and as they didn't have the diagnostic tools to correctly program the module anyway, didn't want to chance fitting one in. They suggested taking the car to a Ford Dealer which I may have to do eventually however this will come at a cost which I cant afford at the moment. Seeing what alternative options may be available to me. 

I would greatly appreciate any advise anyone could give me about this........ 

Best regards, 

David 

Hi, that's a weird one! Had you by any chance driven in floodwater prior to the problem... just wondering about water getting into the electrics. Have you been thro' all the fuses? You could try asking the question on Talkford here:

https://talkford.com/community/forum/96-ford-mondeo-mk4-2007-2013/

You'll just need to register to post a query, but can browse  without. 

i don't know where the GEM is on that car. If it was mine I would at least unplug, inspect the connections and plug back in every multi pin plug on the gem - there will be a few of them. I think it only needs one iffy connection to confuse the thing.  based on one I looked at in a focus, it just looks like a fusebox with loads of wires, but I unscrewed the top from the bottom and inside was a complex circuit board with computer type chips on. there was more to it than intitally met the eye.

ECU on a MK 4 is just inside the nearside wheelarch. So if you've been in or through standing water that might be the cause

Yeah, and GEM is above the pedals on a RHD car. Plenty of plugs to disconnect/reconnect

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club