Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Auto window wipers

Alex.S

Had a few icy mornings now. Been using the app to start the car from the house (works a treat). What happens if the auto wipers are on from previous day ? Do they react to ice on the windscreen? Do they know not to try wipe when all it’s going to do is wreck the Wiper Blades

My question is nothing to do with the remote start. Just the auto wipers reaction to ice.

They've never been intelligent with ice on my previous Ford's. They'll try and wipe when screen is frosty, not tried it on MK4 though but would assume it's the same.

I always try and get in the habit of turning the wipers off at the end of a journey.

• Like 1

They dont operate. It's in the handbook !

3 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

They dont operate. It's in the handbook !

Awesome 

Nice to see they've finally addressed that.

Seems from the manual you have to adjust the sensitivity or turn the auto wipers off and on to reactivate them if you leave them on when it's frozen

Frozen window this morning when I started the car the auto wipers tried to clear the screen?

do I need to remember to turn off at night or before starting the car?

37 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

Frozen window this morning when I started the car the auto wipers tried to clear the screen?

do I need to remember to turn off at night or before starting the car?

You shouldn’t have to. Are you sure the wipers weren’t manually turned on? 

I mean the wiper stalk up 2 notches. 

Page 80 in the handbook. 

Im gonna make a point of testing it while it’s a gentle frost and before any heavy snow. 

Let us know the results..... 

i defo had the wipers on auto when it wiped on the frost

I would have thought that the inhibiting temperature is taken from the outside air sensor which is probably under the front bumper and it doesn't need to be below 0 for some or all of a cars windows to become frosty.

I had to defrost my windows this morning as well but the outside temperature was +1 Degree, so if I had my Auto wipers on then they would have tried to clear the screen as well.

7.30am this morning, - 3C , windscreen frozen. I left the auto wipers on last night on purpose.

Started the engine..wipers did not operate. 

Once the windscreen was clear I changed the sensitivity and they wiped. 

If the sensor is covered and the wipers on auto when you start the car, the wipers may fire. Just depends on how the computer interprets the input.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 5:18 PM, Andyr55 said:

Let us know the results..... 

i defo had the wipers on auto when it wiped on the frost

My auto wipers wiped ice this morning Andy. Wasn’t a hard frost , not sure if that’s a factor. 

This is one thing BMW do better, the Autowiper is activated in the beemers by pressing end of stalk, once, and then the autowipe is active, and the stalk stays in default position, which 1. means that single wipe is always available whenever you want (really miss this) and 2. when you key off, and then key back on (say next day) autowipe has always been cancelled.

I really miss this - and this was on a 2003 car...

Andy

That's German attention to detail for you! Sounds a far better arrangement.

Just now, mjt said:

That's German attention to detail for you! Sounds a far better arrangement.

You know that the Focus is a Ford of Europe, i.e. German engineered car right?

22 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

You know that the Focus is a Ford of Europe, i.e. German engineered car right?

I was amusing myself a while back in the local Audi dealership looking at the A1. The guy was banging on about Audi's German engineering versus the "Spanish" Fiesta, until I pointed out that my Fiesta was built in Cologne while the A1 is assembled at the SEAT plant at Martorell, near Barcelona!😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Abbadon said:

...and 2. when you key off, and then key back on (say next day) autowipe has always been cancelled.

That just sounds annoying tbh...not very automatic if you have to switch it on every time! :tongue:  Single wipe would be useful though!

That just sounds annoying tbh...not very automatic if you have to switch it on every time! :tongue:  Single wipe would be useful though!

Tbh, we owned an s-max at the same time, and I never found the bmw annoying, let's face it, the ford's still need you to put the stalk in the right place... If you ever need single wipe, the Ford is just as non auto as the BMW! But the BMW offers protection against the frost issue.

Cruise control is also better in the bmw, there isn't a need to turn it on then set it, its one command to do both, I've never understood the Ford systems need for that...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Abbadon said:

Tbh, we owned an s-max at the same time, and I never found the bmw annoying, let's face it, the ford's still need you to put the stalk in the right place... If you ever need single wipe, the Ford is just as non auto as the BMW! But the BMW offers protection against the frost issue.

Cruise control is also better in the bmw, there isn't a need to turn it on then set it, its one command to do both, I've never understood the Ford systems need for that...

The cruise control in my Audi A3 was the best, it would maintain the speed even through gear changes!

9 minutes ago, Marcr1 said:

The cruise control in my Audi A3 was the best, it would maintain the speed even through gear changes!

My Mk4 Focus does that 😉

53 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

My Mk4 Focus does that 😉

I need to try that on the way home...

My Fiesta ST didn't and I kind of assumed it was a Ford thing.

It might be because I have adaptive cruise, or they've changed it for the Mk4 Focus.

But my Fiesta and Mk3.5 Focus "paused" cruise control when changing gear, it was really annoying if you were going up hill

6 hours ago, Abbadon said:

I drive a VW anyway... :laugh: 

I rarely need single wipe at all, that's the best thing about auto wipers...just leave it on auto 99% of the time.  I certainly wouldn't trade that for use of single wipe myself. :smile:

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

It might be because I have adaptive cruise, or they've changed it for the Mk4 Focus.

But my Fiesta and Mk3.5 Focus "paused" cruise control when changing gear, it was really annoying if you were going up hill

So yeah... tried it on the way home and it doesn’t stick through the gear changes. As you say it must be due to the adaptive cruise control 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club