• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mark t

• Nico.

• beanaldo

• Xxmdfxx

Top Posters In This Topic

Given DRLs have been required in some countries for a long time, and as Nathan has shown with the Cruise/ Ambient light / Folding mirrors are all simply software tweaks to turn on I'd bet Ford use the same looms in all cars with the same engine size regardless of spec and destination. I'd guess that the multi way connector on the headlight (which appears on mine to be missing a pair of connectors as there is space for 5 but only 4 present) can supply a live feed when the car is destined for the countries that require DRL's prior to the recent law change.

A google image search suggests the Swedish Mk8 doesn't have any extra light fittings outside the headlight cluster ,eaving aside optional fog lights, so it's either putting the side lights on all the time or the space above the headlight is used for a seperate DRL, but that would be a sod to get to in order to change the bulb.

There was so much bad language in here it wasn't worth trying to remove it so lets just say Adam isn't a fan of DRLs.

-Nath

Edited by iNath
Language

A google image search suggests the Swedish Mk8 doesn't have any extra light fittings outside the headlight cluster ,eaving aside optional fog lights, so it's either putting the side lights on all the time or the space above the headlight is used for a seperate DRL, but that would be a sod to get to in order to change the bulb.

I'm pretty sure that in Sweden, the legal requirement is on the driver to turn their headlights on if the vehicle doesn't have DRL's installed, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Swedes get the same car and wiring as we do. You might be lucky though ;)

In reply to AdamFRP

Not everyone can afford £250 for original parts.

Cheap doesn't always equal crap.

Btw please no bad language mate, it is a public forum.

Edited by iNath
Removed AdamFRP's quote

I experimented heavily with DRL ideas on my S-Max last year and found flexible LED strip is just not bright enough. It just looks like you have decorated the front of your car with fairy lights and looks tacky.

So I decided to take an existing DRL (Audi A6) and redesign it to fit the S-Max (with the help of some fibreglass and paint).

P9021858.jpg

This looks almost factory and cost less than £30 to make.

In reply to AdamFRP

Not everyone can afford £250 for original parts.

Cheap doesn't always equal crap.

Btw please no bad language mate, it is a public forum.

Well you get what you pay for and those cheap drls arent even bright in the daytime, its allgood taking photos at night but i think the clue is in the title! DAYTIME running lights! Oh and sorry for swearing, im sure we are all adults here. If you want to make your car look crap its up to you.