Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car running just fine - I'm concerned!

StephenFord
聽Share

My car is running perfectly, has a steady idle of 800 RPM, temperature stable and gets there quickly, suspension controls car without drama, no squeaks, bumps or rattles, car drives smooth, fuel economy as expected, acceleration & braking all to expectations, everything electric works, windows, A/C, all lights etc... Now, what kind of impending doom is this?

I'm sure my car is plotting in secret to throw me a surprise, I'm scared! 馃ぃ

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Shhhh then... now youve said it you'll get in car tomorrow and it will fall to bits 馃ぃ

• Haha 2

Sounds like the norm to me. Just take care if it and it'll take care of you. A few weeks ago the AC gas leaked from my car not long after gassing it up.聽

Think it didn't like the long overdue of cleaning it 馃槴

DSC_0528.JPG

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

My car is running perfectly, has a steady idle of 800 RPM, temperature stable and gets there quickly, suspension controls car without drama, no squeaks, bumps or rattles, car drives smooth, fuel economy as expected, acceleration & braking all to expectations, everything electric works, windows, A/C, all lights etc... Now, what kind of impending doom is this?

I'm sure my car is plotting in secret to throw me a surprise, I'm scared! 馃ぃ

Hah I think like that all the time, mine is and has been running like a watch for some time now, apart from the poor oil and fuel consumption ( which I've learned to live with ) it's very reliable.

I am paranoid about the highish milage (123,000) to the point I'm constantly looking on eBay for low milage engine's thinking mine is going to give up the ghost any minute.

Just passed MOT last with only a couple of advisories, oh the joys of owning an aging car, maybe I should just jump on the " new car every three years" band wagon PCP thing, no more worries then, ah but then I'll have to fork out 拢300 per month for a car I don't own then, instead of paying nothing for a car that's mine. aaarrrgggg decision's decisions 馃

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wilto said:

Just passed MOT last with only a couple of advisories, oh the joys of owning an aging car, maybe I should just jump on the " new car every three years" band wagon PCP thing, no more worries then, ah but then I'll have to fork out 拢300 per month for a car I don't own then, instead of paying nothing for a car that's mine. aaarrrgggg decision's decisions 馃

It's a no brainer! One months PCP will get a replacement engine, and the next month will get it fitted with change to buy a decent curry as a treat! 馃榾 Oh, and much more environmentally friendly than buy a new car!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know how you feel, though I do have a couple of very minor ongoing issues and some unexplained noises to keep me on my toes!聽 I was more bothered about breaking down or something going wrong 5 years ago, now if it happens I just think it's done well for itself and time to get another.聽 I hate the hassle of buying new cars so long may it keep going.聽

Not being funny,聽 but reading some of the nightmare issues a lot of people have with their Fords on here makes me a bit apprehensive about mine continuing to be reliable. Long may it continue. I really need to stop fearing the worst.

8 hours ago, mozz said:

Not being funny,聽 but reading some of the nightmare issues a lot of people have with their Fords on here makes me a bit apprehensive about mine continuing to be reliable. Long may it continue. I really need to stop fearing the worst.

It's just human nature I suppose. Most of us, tbh, will have initially joined up on here because we have had a problem or just want to find out something the dealer can't answer etc. Hopefully we then stick around so that we may be able to help others with聽their queries but mainly I suspect because it's a very friendly forum and a great place for a chat/moan!

I suppose it would get a bit boring if we all came on with posts like "Hi all, just wanted to tell you about my Ford, finest car ever, utterly faultless in every way, etc,etc"!馃榾

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I suppose it would get a bit boring if we all came on with posts like "Hi all, just wanted to tell you about my Ford, finest car ever, utterly faultless in every way, etc,etc"!馃榾

We'll never get posts like that, this isn't an Audi forum.聽聽馃槂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

We'll never get posts like that, this isn't an Audi forum.聽聽馃槂

You've clearly never been on an Audi forum! :lol: :laugh:

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2019 at 5:22 PM, zain611 said:

Sounds like the norm to me. Just take care if it and it'll take care of you. A few weeks ago the AC gas leaked from my car not long after gassing it up.聽

Think it didn't like the long overdue of cleaning it 馃槴

Couldn't agree more.

Mine has been a PITA, but I've put that down to poor maintenance by the previous owners, for which the only way to re-start the clock as it were, is to do a complete re-build of the car (which would be lunacy).

I have the opposite view tbh...whenever I try to look after a car it seems to be broken constantly.聽 My Dad, on the other hand, just buys cars and runs them, not even so much as oil change...and never has any problems!聽 Winds me up no end! :laugh:

So that's the route I've taken with the Golf, just get in and drive...only replaced a punctured tyre (拢40) and ripped wiper blade (拢2.50) in the last 15 months, neither of which can be blamed on the car or maintenance.聽 Reluctantly gave it a service 2 weeks ago as it was 11 months overdue and cringed at spending ~拢50 on a genuine service kit for it.聽 It's certainly not perfect, and I feel like it's going to break down every time I drive it...but so far it's been the cheapest pound per month car I've owned!聽 There's obviously something in this blissful ignorance...but I'd jump at the chance to lease a brand new car and get the peace of mind that comes with that if I could afford to.聽 Horses for courses at the end of the day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

You've clearly never been on an Audi forum! :lol: :laugh:

Lol. Certainly not the one I've posted on!馃榾

• Haha 1

Tom, I read your post with interest. My mum bought her Toyota Yaris used 15years ago, and also neglects it dreadfully. But, every year it passes it's MOT first go with no drama, every body panel has dents in it as she parks by 'touch' LOL The only time it gets any TLC is when I borrow it to cover the absence of my own car which is undergoing some kind of major surgery! I check fluid levels, tyre pressures, wash exterior, and hoover the inside. The Yaris just starts first time, every time, and is surprising nippy and fun to drive too! Added advantage is that I never worry about where I park it as it is so dinged and dented, another 1 or 3 will make no difference.

Having recently owned a very troublesome (and expensive) Celica GT4, and Mercedes C class, as I get older, my attitude to cars has definitely changed. I use to agonise over every scratch, every errant noise or rattle, maintaining every service, etc etc. Now, I'm happy if I get in a car and it just starts. 馃榾

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Having recently owned a very troublesome (and expensive) Celica GT4, and Mercedes C class, as I get older, my attitude to cars has definitely changed. I use to agonise over every scratch, every errant noise or rattle, maintaining every service, etc etc. Now, I'm happy if I get in a car and it just starts. 馃榾

Was it a diesel C class?聽 Common issues or were you unlucky?聽 I've found myself drawn to Merc's recently...聽 Local 2010 C220 CDi for sale cheap caught my eye yesterday...until I saw it was 拢200 tax...equivalent 320D EfficientDynamics is only 拢30 tax! :unsure: I know absolutely nothing about Merc's though, didn't even realise it was RWD until I checked stats online! :laugh:

I've been talking to some people recently about how Ford used to be so well known for build quality, not so much any more....Just had to replace my Ranger battery after 40k miles, and my Focus needed a new steering rack after only 20k miles. What happened to Ford reliability?聽

And now my real area of expertise...@wilto I know you're being sarcastic, but even I would strongly advise against jumping on the PCP bandwagon...ITS A TRAP!

If you need to finance it, which most do, go for HP, and if you do it with a balloon payment at the end to keep the payments down, make sure its sensible. The trap is a good one, and will catch out about 90% of car buyers, and keep them coming back for more every 3-4 years. Scary business.聽

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Was it a diesel C class?

It was actually a C240 petrol with an LPG conversion. When it worked, it was the most beautiful of cars, ride was delicious, full leather, we just loved it, But in the end, it was plagued with electrical gremlins.聽 I finally let it go when it totalled 8 x red error messages on the dash which precluded it from driving and was taken very unceremoniously on the back of a recovery truck, it's 2nd home as it had a total of 5 rides on it in the last 8 months of ownership! Nice looking though...

1759922169_FrontdaylightNoNumber.thumb.jpg.d1bcd1a829078a92fa31396d218d3a0c.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

It was actually a C240 petrol with an LPG conversion. When it worked, it was the most beautiful of cars, ride was delicious, full leather, we just loved it, But in the end, it was plagued with electrical gremlins.聽 I finally let it go when it totalled 8 x red error messages on the dash which precluded it from driving and was taken very unceremoniously on the back of a recovery truck, it's 2nd home as it had a total of 5 rides on it in the last 8 months of ownership!

Ah, maybe I'll keep clear of them then!聽 Hadn't even considered electrical issues on a modern Merc! 聽

I've realised it's also the 4 door 'Sport' version I like the look of (AMG lookalike?) which probably means the ride is compromised anyway lol.聽 I'm definitely getting an itch to change car now...with no budget and very strict criteria. :laugh:

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

...itch to change car now...with no budget and very strict criteria. :laugh:

LOL, I suggest buddy that you start buying a weekly lottery ticket! 馃ぃ That's my 'new' car plan...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah, maybe I'll keep clear of them then!聽聽

I was always steered away by the fact that it's very hard to find one that's not auto, and I always preferred manual (though that may have to change in future for dodgy toe reasons!). I found the parking brake they used to have very off putting - you set it by pulling an "umbrella handle" below the dash and let it off by pressing a pedal. That said, a friend of mine loved the W203 generation C-class he had for 7 years (C180 kompressor) but hated the W204 which followed. He's now on his fourth Honda CRV.聽

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I found the parking brake they used to have very off putting - you set it by pulling an "umbrella handle" below the dash and let it off by pressing a pedal.

You are very close! LOL You 'set it', by pressing down on the foot pedal, and then release it via the umbrella handle. I hated it, but as it was an auto box, never used it as the transmission lock is much more secure anyway than some Victorian designed drum brakes. However, because no one ever uses it, it's a very common MOT failure when the garage yanks on the brake and it doesn't work because of corrosion from lack of use LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You are very close! LOL You 'set it', by pressing down on the foot pedal, and then release it via the umbrella handle.聽

Yes, that was it - got it the wrong way round!聽After I posted I remembered why it struck me as a problem. When I was considering a manual I couldn't figure how to use it as you need one foot to stop the car and one to operate the clutch, unless you slipped it into neutral while keeping the footbrake on and then used your clutch foot to set the parking brake. This seemed like a bit of a pain if, say, you were going uphill in heavy traffic and needing to do multiple hill starts. The salesman said it was not a problem to the "normal type of Mercedes customer" and disdainfully suggested that if I really聽must drive a manual I should look elsewhere!馃榾

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I was always steered away by the fact that it's very hard to find one that's not auto, and I always preferred manual (though that may have to change in future for dodgy toe reasons!). I found the parking brake they used to have very off putting - you set it by pulling an "umbrella handle" below the dash and let it off by pressing a pedal. That said, a friend of mine loved the W203 generation C-class he had for 7 years (C180 kompressor) but hated the W204 which followed. He's now on his fourth Honda CRV.聽

Ah yes, this one was semi auto (possibly the only type available in those), which sort of explains the high tax!聽 Turns out there's also a local manual C250 (201bhp) with slightly cheaper tax at 拢160 a year...聽 Only 拢10 to swap insurance though...聽聽

Tbh I wouldn't mind an auto now, I spend 95% of the time on cruise control anyway.聽

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mercedes-benz/mercedes-benz-c-class-2.1-c250-cdi-blueefficiency-sport-4dr/1357043303

Parking brake definitely sounds odd though!! :unsure: Also looks like that one has rusty brake lines too...had enough of replacing those on the fiestas and 306s! :laugh:

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You gotta admit, for 拢5 grand, there is NO Ford that will give you that much presence on the road!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You gotta admit, for 拢5 grand, there is NO Ford that will give you that much presence on the road!

I would have offered quite a bit less too...they appear to need a quick sale. :wink:

It also wouldn't look out of place at the German shows I do over the summer...I was too embarrassed to park a standard Mk6 Golf anywhere near the show field! :laugh:

Youre meant to be talking me out of this btw, not into it! :tongue:

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club