Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to Renew Rear Shocks possibly????

sonic113

Mk2 Focus us getting one a little now but still serving us very well.

I noticed the car is very bouncy got at the rear and when driving its more noticeable and even when its parked and the kids are moving around in the seats i can feel it. I think its maybe time to renew the rear shocks.

any advice?

I have looked at the rear suspension and all else seems solid enough, the front is all 100% as well. Only issue is  just the bouncy feel when driving (it seems to be coming from the rear) and she picks up every bump in the roads (not that the roads  out my way are great to begin with)

Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, sonic113 said:

Mk2 Focus us getting one a little now but still serving us very well.

I noticed the car is very bouncy got at the rear and when driving its more noticeable and even when its parked and the kids are moving around in the seats i can feel it. I think its maybe time to renew the rear shocks.

any advice?

I have looked at the rear suspension and all else seems solid enough, the front is all 100% as well. Only issue is  just the bouncy feel when driving (it seems to be coming from the rear) and she picks up every bump in the roads (not that the roads  out my way are great to begin with)

Thanks in advance.

My MK2 Focus saloon had become REALLY bouncy, especially when cornering hard.  Hitting a deep pot hole at 50 MPH broke the top mount on one side which forced my hand, new shocks and top mounts later and the difference is truly day and night.  Prior to replacing them, if I bounced the rear up and down there weren't any noises etc so you would have assumed they were fine.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

My MK2 Focus saloon had become REALLY bouncy, especially when cornering hard.  Hitting a deep pot hole at 50 MPH broke the top mount on one side which forced my hand, new shocks and top mounts later and the difference is truly day and night.  Prior to replacing them, if I bounced the rear up and down there weren't any noises etc so you would have assumed they were fine.

same here, they seems fine enough but the bounce when driving is starting to get very very annoying so think i will swap the out for new ones. any ideas on good set priced decent? local factors are looking £55 all in for a set, which is not too bad i think. Just going to price around first.

1 hour ago, sonic113 said:

same here, they seems fine enough but the bounce when driving is starting to get very very annoying so think i will swap the out for new ones. any ideas on good set priced decent? local factors are looking £55 all in for a set, which is not too bad i think. Just going to price around first.

I paid £97 per side for new shocks and top mounts (fitted), they were a decent brand as well.  I'd definitely make sure you you fit a decent brand and not some unbranded (pretend brand) cheapo chinese crap parts.  (Don't get me wrong most of it is made in China but the decent brands actually have standards).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

I paid £97 per side for new shocks and top mounts (fitted), they were a decent brand as well.  I'd definitely make sure you you fit a decent brand and not some unbranded (pretend brand) cheapo chinese crap parts.  (Don't get me wrong most of it is made in China but the decent brands actually have standards).

100% agree, That's sounds a decent price, I do all my own work i guess I could save on labour. I came across a autostore https://www.maydayautospares.co.uk/ they are based in southhampton and see to do OE standard aftermarket parts, much like my own local factor only these fellas are charging a bit less than my local factors. I would say the Parts should be decent enough and a lot better than buying blind of eBay . Might put an order in later in week and wee how it goes.

Thanks

They are very easy to change too just a bit tight on the passenger side bottom bolt but manageable.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

They are very easy to change too just a bit tight on the passenger side bottom bolt but manageable.

Assuming you can get the bolts to shift!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Assuming you can get the bolts to shift!

Yep I used a big breaker bar was tight as and banged my arm several times lmao.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few years ago the damping effect of the shock absorbers was part of mot test. Then it was changed to only visual inspection for leaks. Ineffective shock absorbers can be dangerous causing more likely loss of control.  But they can be rubbish with no sign of leaks.   I am guessing it was removed from test as on some cars it is difficult to find somewhere suitable on the car to push down hard on to test 

• Like 2

all sorted, arrived and fitted within the hour. car feels a lot better. its wonderful what a new set of shocks can do.

thanks to all for advice.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sonic113 said:

all sorted, arrived and fitted within the hour. car feels a lot better. its wonderful what a new set of shocks can do.

thanks to all for advice.

Glad you got it sorted and can feel a significant difference in the handling.  I couldn't believe the difference on mine and that was just the rear shocks.

• Like 1

Yep defo makes a difference especially on bad roads and feels stiffer on cornering.

• Like 2