Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 auto stop start not working

superwasak83

I have an 18 month old st line x with 13,000 miles on the clock. The auto stop start has always worked fine but the last few weeks it isn't working at all.

Not a major issue I know but wondered if anyone else has the same issue recently?

Thought it might be just because it's got colder as winter approaches but thinking back I didn't have the same issue last winter.

Last time this happened was on my Nissan Juke just before the battery packed in.

I've checked the button hasn't been pressed to turn the auto stop start off and it hasn't been.

Cheers.

You should be able to find the reason in the drivers display.

Usually at this time of year it operates less, due to increased eletrical load, increased HVAC load and larger delta in temps between engine and ambient.

• Like 1

I agree with @alexp999 , the auto start stop section in the information display should give you the reason for not turning the engine off , it should give us a clue on what could be the reason

I had a similar problem and it was because the battery didn't have enough charge.

Don't use it , its the first thing I switch off when I start the car. I like to wait in traffic with car in neutral and don't wont the engine stopping and starting every few minutes can not be doing engine battery or starter any good and only a small saving on fuel and a small saving to the environment, having said that my regular journey to work is all rural roads so not many times when it would be used. 

• Like 1

This thread is about why it's not working, we've plenty of others that have discussed the pros and cons. 😉

Not much to add to what others have said but mine hasn’t worked for a long time and the reason given is due to vehicle charging. I have assumed this is to do with the dash cam hardwired into the car which puts a small drain on the battery

I treat it not working as a positive as I wasn’t a massive fan of it.

It's interesting that on my car, I have fordpass enabled and the car connected.  On my wife's she doesn't.  My SS never works, due to "engine on for vehicle charging".  Her's will work, even in winter, more often that not.

I probably only use my car every other day, but quite often when I  get in and before I even do anything, I get a message on the Sync Screen saying "Start engine or switch off ignition to save battery***" before I've even switched anything on.

(***or words to that effect. I keep meaning to grab a shot but it goes off very quickly).

I suspect these things are very sensitive to battery condition.

So far, the car always fires up instantly at a touch of the button, btw.

I do wonder if battery capacity has increased to match the drain.  Yes, SS batteries can fire the big jolt to start the car more often, but I wonder about the ability to hold charge for longer.

12 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I probably only use my car every other day, but quite often when I  get in and before I even do anything, I get a message on the Sync Screen saying "Start engine or switch off ignition to save battery***" before I've even switched anything on.

(***or words to that effect. I keep meaning to grab a shot but it goes off very quickly).

I suspect these things are very sensitive to battery condition.

So far, the car always fires up instantly at a touch of the button, btw.

I use mine every few days and get the same message regularly.  I notice if I make a short journey (so not enough to generate any real charge benefit) it'll not give me that message again until it's been another few days.  I posted about it earlier in the year Roger, I think the theory is that it's just warning that you're not gonna get the usual 20-40 minutes of accessory use without the engine on.

I do worry about the short journeys so every few weeks I take it on a semi decent run.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tef89 said:

.  I posted about it earlier in the year Roger

Lol, so you did, and with a screen shot too iirc!😀 I keep getting feelings of deja vu on here but can't remember where I've seen something and "search" doesn't always seem to find stuff.

Still not figured out what triggers this message, though - as I say I don't use mine every day but it's very rare for it to do a short journey.

• Like 1

Thanks all, I checked the display on the dash and it did say it's not working because battery is charging. The stop start kicked in yesterday though so I guess battery ok after all

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

My SS used to work but now it doesnt. I use my car every day so battery charge is ok. However, have checked that the SS is switched on(it is) but on the dash it shows the symbol with a line struck through it. There is a dash cam plugged in and my radio is always on, plus the heater if its cold, so i guess im using too m6ch other stuff for the battery to cope. Ill try  it with nothing else running and see  if it works, then ill know.

1 hour ago, Debbieduck54 said:

My SS used to work but now it doesnt. I use my car every day so battery charge is ok. However, have checked that the SS is switched on(it is) but on the dash it shows the symbol with a line struck through it. There is a dash cam plugged in and my radio is always on, plus the heater if its cold, so i guess im using too m6ch other stuff for the battery to cope. Ill try  it with nothing else running and see  if it works, then ill know.

Is it still the original battery? On a 2017 that makes it 5 yrs old, probably due a change

Hello Debra, the Stop/Start system helps the environment by allegedly reducing emissions and by halving the life expectancy of the battery.

You need to use the FORScan software and change the State Of Charge (SOC) from the default 80% and set it at 95% and then you will find after you charge your battery SS will work again and you save yet another battery from ending up in dump.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club