Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are my buttons the wrong way round?

Fordfootforward

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Crikey, I would've thought your mpg was bad enough without switching on the AC after a cold start! :tongue:. Seriously though, the AC doesn't come on under a certain temp (possibly 5c?) and I always found it was quicker to use the heated screen...literally seconds would remove fog that only appeared once I'd started driving.  The AC takes a minute or two to work.  Ain't nobody got time for that! (Millennial joke there :wink: )

On a cold start the trip computer says its using 1.1/1.2 Gal/hour for the first minute or two, until the revs go down, or you switch into drive 😂

AC in the Mondeo is very quick, even in the Focus it was somewhat quick... But the Focus was as slow as a bus with the AC on lol, the 'turbo' in that car was pressing the AC button off, when on a motorway onramp in summer 😂

• Haha 2

The icon to save stuff on your computer is a floppy disk. Even now, there's probably less than half of computer users have ever seen an actual floppy disk, and yet we still use that icon. 

How long until the envelope icon used for email goes the same way?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think that the horizontal lines on the heated front screen help differentiate it from the front screen blower, which has vertical lines. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, kajeeves said:

I think that the horizontal lines on the heated front screen help differentiate it from the front screen blower, which has vertical lines. 

Thanks for the feedback kajeeves, but why differentiate though?? ( I know your not the ford design team lol) 

surely it would be common sense to use the same icon??? 

I'm sorry, I can't resist. My mum (now in her 80s), for decades always taught me that the amazing thing about common sense is, that it's really not that common! 🤣

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Looks like you can still buy them too...might be useful for anyone with a Studio spec model... :wink:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Classic-Car-Air-Flow-12v-Screen-De-Froster-British-made-Bakelite-/173891124248

That looks much more sophisticated than the one in my dad's car. 😀

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:16 PM, Phil21185 said:

If it makes you feel better you could swap the button caps over. 

Might make things fun for the next owner too!

my one has the tick box in the GEM set

you don't ever need to touch them they turn themselves on and off automatically ...dependant upon outside temp

I'm so glad to hear that other people mix these two up - I assumed it was just me being a numpty. The way I remember now is that the rear is closer and that's the one I use more often, annoying to have to think about it though 🤔... Even though I rarely use the front one, I'd hate to have a car without it now - scraping ice of the windscreen is a PITA and so last century 😁.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MartinFC said:

... scraping ice of the windscreen is a PITA and so last century 😁.

In 4 decades, I've never 'scraped' ice off in my life. Am I the only one that uses a watering can full of warm water? Yes, I know there'll be those quivering in their boots saying that the windscreen will shatter, but it doesn't, ever, and the ice melts instantly.  😀

• Like 1

You don't need to use warm water. It works perfectly well with water straight from the cold tap and produces much less stress on the glass. You may have been lucky so far but if you get a chip in the glass the stress will likely crack it.

1 minute ago, mjt said:

You don't need to use warm water. It works perfectly well with water straight from the cold tap and produces much less stress on the glass. You may have been lucky so far but if you get a chip in the glass the stress will likely crack it.

LOL, 15 minutes till a naysayer tells tales of woe with windscreen crack 🤣 I think that's a record!

• Haha 1

luke warm water

works a treat, costs almost nothing, its far better than scratching the screen or pouring chemicals everywhere

• Like 3

On 11/7/2019 at 10:29 PM, StephenFord said:

LOL, 15 minutes till a naysayer tells tales of woe with windscreen crack 🤣 I think that's a record!

Sorry I took so long. :biggrin:

I still hold to the fact that, surprisingly, there's enough heat in water from the cold tap to clear the ice instantly. There is a suggestion that using warm water can cause it to re-freeze more quickly. I think it's something to do with evaporative cooling but maybe there's someone on here with a better knowledge of physics who can confirm or deny it.

• Like 1

Cold water from the indoor tap might be warm enough...but not water in the screenwash bottle, even if it hasn't frozen at the time….will never forget the day I spent 5 minutes scraping ice off of the Mk4 Golf...then used the washers to clear the final streaks and the whole thing froze over again instantly! :laugh: 

Also screens don't shatter now, they're laminated, they just crack eventually.  I must admit though, I also went through months of using the heated screen after it had cracked at the bottom...the crack never did get any bigger despite the heat, the ice or the bumps in the road, I was surprised tbh, but still wouldn't risk getting the kettle on it as my neighbours do!!

In hindsight I wished I'd left the crack as the first screen arrived wrong, the second one was right but the tech broke the rain & light sensor and it took another two appointments before they finally fitted a new sensor and solved the issue that wasn't there before they arrived. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club