Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake calipers

Tictoc

I've just bought a 2018 Edge and found the brake calipers are really rusty.  Has anyone else had this problem?

as they are not painted they will rust my 2017 is starting looking at painting them when i have to replace pads will get them off clean them up and paint red to match the car 

• 1 month later...

This common problem with most none painted brake calipers it due acid wheel cleaner some of the polish etc car wahes have been known to use brick acid  on customers wheels 

My calipers have gone rusty and my previous car, a Focus ST, also had the same problem. With my Focus I painted them with smooth Hammerite (silver) which matched the original colour. You don't need to brush any rust off. I sold the car 3 years later and still not a sign of rust on them. I will give the ones on my Edge a paint in the Spring, once the bad weather has improved.

Although I don't own an Edge, the Edge shares many parts with the Mondeo/Fusion, and is basically the same platform, so wouldn't be surprised if the brakes (calipers) are manufactured in the same way in the same factory using the same process. (Albeit perhaps slightly larger calipers on the Edge possibly).

My Mondeo also has rusty calipers - see thread below if interested:

Regarding the Warranty question.

Please tell us, we that know nothing about Warranty, how\why you think surface rust on a brake caliper is a manufacturing defect?

H

• Like 1

Brake calipers are made from cast iron ... with no surface treatment. It's only oil residue, general dirt and and brake dust that coats the surface preventing most oxidation. Add road salt or water and heat to that mix is going to promote oxidation. It's simple metallurgy, not rocket science!

If you personally want to stop that process, take them off, clean them, de-grease them and paint them. The manufacturer isn't going to do that because, a) it adds cost, b) its really not necessary to their function!

11 minutes ago, simonb65 said:

Brake calipers are made from cast iron ... with no surface treatment. It's only oil residue, general dirt and and brake dust that coats the surface preventing most oxidation. Add road salt or water and heat to that mix is going to promote oxidation. It's simple metallurgy, not rocket science!

If you personally want to stop that process, take them off, clean them, de-grease them and paint them. The manufacturer isn't going to do that because, a) it adds cost, b) its really not necessary to their function!

I'm not sure that's true is it?  They're usually zinc coated from new, they'd be rusty before you even collect the car otherwise.

38 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm not sure that's true is it?  They're usually zinc coated from new, they'd be rusty before you even collect the car otherwise.

They may be coated in a manufacturing oil, but they are not all zinc, cadmium or nickel plated, that costs the manufacturer money. The rust that people see may be from the iron particles from the brake pads which makes up a significant proportion of the brake dust.

Most bolts on a car are supposed to be plated, but that doesn't stop them rusting! as the plating is thin and is soon penetrated in areas of high dirt/contamination/salt.