Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta 1.4TDCI any owners / previous?

Richdot

Morning got given a Ford fiesta 1.4TDCI mk6 67bhp, 107k mileage after a bit of info about it please. Although it has full service history engine does sound a bit rattly and tappy is this normal for this engine? I have not driven it much probably 50 miles or so since having it got over 50mpg no problem so I don't think they is anything wrong with the engine as such?

Clutch biting point seems quite high is this how they are? if not looks like normal wear and tear may need to change it.

There is a few other little bits and bobs like heaters not really warm etc going to get it looked at as I know they have those heater control valves that go down.

Thanks

can't answer all of your points.  

My sister has a 2004 1.4tdci and I previously had a 2007 1.6tdci.

hard to judge how rattly and tappy. based on my experience I would say the mk6 diesel fiestas feel a lot more noisy & vibration compared to more modern diesel cars (eg my 2015 1.5tdci). 

I do like driving my sister's 1.4tdci, seems very eager to accelerate even though it has 135k miles on it.  Makes my 1.5tdci seem dull.

Don't know if you are used to diesels but they warm up a lot slower than a petrol engine so the heater will be sod all use for several miles. If you only do short runs you'll get little heat out of the heater.

Clutch biting point is very high on mine, probably about 3/4 the way up the pedal before I get any bite. Also want to know if that's normal or not. On the topic of heat, does your engine get upto temperature? Mine seems to settle at 60C unless I get stuck in stop start traffic then it creeps upto about 90C. New thermostat? 

I can't remember what the temp markings were on the gauge on my 1.6tdci 2007 fiesta. but I can remember it never went more than a third of the way up (during my ownership which was from 1k miles to 146k miles) and then once it was up to that level and I was stationary with heater on the gauge would start to go down.

Can't say I have noticed what the gauge shows on my sister's 1.4tdci when I have driven it.

on my 1.5tdci the gauge generally goes half way up and stays there (no numbers on guage, it is small led bar chart type), but it does take a long time to get half way up.

These diesels do not create much heat. Because they are so efficient, the fuel is efficiently turned into mechanical power and not wasted in excess heat.

Some other diesel cars have better heating by having an undertray under the engine bay and having louvres to close off the radiator grill to stop any air getting into the engine bay until hot and then the louvres open.  So the upside of diesels is better mpg and loads of torque. Downsides are rubbish heating (and on newer ones potential dpf problems - yours does not have dpf)

Hi guys thanks for the replies, Seen as I got given the car I have put around £700-£800 into it as I figured it was cheap to run / maintain. Apart from the colour sublime green which i find awful it drives nice and gives a good return on diesel I get over 50mpg to and from work can't complain. With the parts ive put into it and the money hoping to get a year or so out of it shes at 107k now so quite high.  I will see how she is when she gets back from garage 

15 hours ago, isetta said:

I can't remember what the temp markings were on the gauge on my 1.6tdci 2007 fiesta. but I can remember it never went more than a third of the way up (during my ownership which was from 1k miles to 146k miles) and then once it was up to that level and I was stationary with heater on the gauge would start to go down.

Can't say I have noticed what the gauge shows on my sister's 1.4tdci when I have driven it.

on my 1.5tdci the gauge generally goes half way up and stays there (no numbers on guage, it is small led bar chart type), but it does take a long time to get half way up.

These diesels do not create much heat. Because they are so efficient, the fuel is efficiently turned into mechanical power and not wasted in excess heat.

Some other diesel cars have better heating by having an undertray under the engine bay and having louvres to close off the radiator grill to stop any air getting into the engine bay until hot and then the louvres open.  So the upside of diesels is better mpg and loads of torque. Downsides are rubbish heating (and on newer ones potential dpf problems - yours does not have dpf)

Replaced the thermostat anyway, they are a reasonable price and it seemed to have a small leak around the gasket anyway. Temperature hits the half way point and stays there now, 83C according to the service menu. So if the temperature gauge does what mine did, then it needs a new thermostat. Heating is also alot better now, especially getting all the air out of the system.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club